Jason's Lyric Reviews

hunterjt13
July 20, 2011
A man falls in love while attempting to curtail his brother's criminal behavior.
If I recall correctly, this is John Singleton's fault. Though it's unfair to judge an artist based on his imitators, Singleton's Boyz 'n the Hood began a rash of "hood" films that eventually culminated in the Wayans brothers' parody of the genre. Jason's Lyric "feels like" an imitation, stuck in a particular time, fitting all the generic requirements in, unable to breathe on its own. The abusive father, the aspirations of escape, and the burgeoning love are all things we've seen from Singleton, and there's nothing radically new here.
What is more, the love story plot, which, during the first hour of the film, is evenly interspersed with the "hood" plot, is so excessively sappy. Every elevator song you ever heard underscores Jason's courtship of Lyric, and the idyllic landscape gives the plot a maudlin feel. He washes her feet for Christ's sake! Then, the film tries to be realistic in the "hood" plot, and when the two plots converge, I couldn't shake the feeling that the film had multiple personality disorder.
Forest Whitaker's performance during the film's first ten minutes as the damaged Vietnam vet was fantastic; Whitaker set the bar so high that it's no wonder the rest of the actors could only disappoint. Jada Pinkett is alluring and beautiful, but there's not much of a character here. It doesn't help her that the script gives her the most expository lines, especially before Jason reveals the truth about his dreams.
Overall, this is a poor imitation of John Singleton; see Boyz 'n the Hood and you can tell everybody that you saw Jason's Lyric too.
sanjurosamurai
½ December 6, 2007
decent drama and love story. this film starred a few actors i dont care for but for some reason in this film they worked ok. the story was decent but the end was melodramatic and over the top.
qtmemoe
½ July 26, 2009
Suprisingly well acted by EVERY actor involved. . . A sweet love story that will please those who want to see it and suprise those who find themselves watching it "against their will".
iLeo
December 26, 2007
A personal favorite.
February 6, 2009
Now this movie is loaded with some of my favorite actors, six of them, to be exact, thumbs up, smile.
July 14, 2008
It was good.The ending had me confused for a second. Man and the dream he was having was weird too..I totally thought it was his brother who did it...His Brother was stupid tho..
½ August 7, 2008
A movie that helped me to understand what becoming a man, a Black man, and an American man...is all about. Black Men United's "U Will Know" still counts as one of my favorite songs.
July 8, 2008
A GOOD "TRYING TO BETTER MY LIFE" TYPE OF MOVIE WITH
A LITTLE MADNESS TO CONTEND WITHIN THE FAMILY CIRCLE.
June 11, 2008
Jason, I am TRYING to love you, but I don't want my heart broken. But that's exactly what you're gonna do if you keep trying to save a brother that don't want to be saved!
½ June 7, 2007
What you found is quiet in a world full of thunder. What person living in this environment can't relate to this love story? Some choices are just hard.
½ June 23, 2007
How could you not love this movie? Loving, poetic, touching, and thugs for those woman who likes a little thug in their lives (smile). Seriously, I love this movie too.
½ May 7, 2007
I thought this movie moved too slow for me. I thought the relationships between the characters was believable however. I believe Jason had a struggle in his life, trying to take of everyone else & keep everyone in tact.
Its amazing to see the difference in the paths the two brothers took & the reasons behind it. I think in reality it is more common than shown.
It was a good romantic drama with an okay storyline. Just couldn't hold my attention, like other love stories of this nature.
March 26, 2007
I liked this movie simply b/c it wasn't your typical urban movie. It had real emotion and it didn't glorify the negativity that plagues urban environment.
March 16, 2007
I am telling you, The brothas are representin' wrongly in this movie in the iareas of loive, stremgth and courae. The love scenes are intense and as real as the COME! LOL!!!
February 18, 2007
"Here's a blast from the past" What a wonderful love story, and both Allen Payne and Jada Pinkett Smith were young and fresh to the movie scene. What do you think???
July 30, 2014
Entertaining and well acted.
August 27, 2012
Just saw this movie again & was just going through its reviews online. I am surprised some critics, including those here at Rotten Tomatoes, think its location was the city of Houston, TX. That is erroneous. It was actually set in the city of Dallas, TX. Please take note.
January 6, 2011
Very Romantic Movie. Great Storyline with action and doesn't leave any detail out. One of my favorite movies.