• PG-13, 1 hr. 42 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Jersey Girl Reviews

John M

June 29, 2008
Kevin Smith scores again. I hadnt seen this one yet for some reason. It only took me 4 years but this is why Kevin Smith is amazing. And Ben Affleck just needs to do Kevin Smith films and he will be okay. Wonderful movie.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 16, 2007
Surprisingly sweet natured.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 2, 2013
Jersey Girl is a very different film for Kevin Smith and is quite refreshing due to the fact that he mostly made View Askew films (Clerks, Mall rats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back). This is a good movie that is one of Kevin Smith's best films. The cast do a fine job here and Affleck really gives a good performance here. The chemistry between him and Liv Tyler is great and they really light up the screen. The plot is good, and it took me by surprise. Smith's direction is wonderful, and he can craft a film that has heart, humor and original ideas. I feel that the film proves that Smith can do something different, instead of the usual Jay & Silent Bob material that we've seen in many of his previous directorial outings. If you love Kevin Smith and want something different, then Jersey Girl is his most refreshing film since Chasing Amy. This is an underrated film that has plenty of good moments to spare, and is very entertaining from start to finish. This is a well crafted film that is worth seeing if you are a fan of Kevin Smith. I think that this is an overlooked film for Kevin Smith, and it doesn't' deserve the flack it has received. George Carlin makes the film worth seeing and he brings his unique sense of humor to the mix, which adds an additional dimension to the film to make it that much more engaging. Jersey Girl has its flaws, but is definitely not a bad movie. If you've never seen this film and love Kevin Smith's work, then you owe it to yourself to check this one out.
Everett J

August 19, 2012
I'm a huge Kevin Smith fan, and genuinely love most of his movies. "Jersey Girl" was his first movie to really go out of his "comfort" zone of "Jay and Silent Bob" type flicks. This is a genuinely heart warming movie about a single father(Ben Affleck) and his relationship with his daughter Gertie(Raquel Castro). The cast is all great from Affleck's dad George Carlin to even Jennifer Lopez as his late wife. I especially love the talk Ben has wife his daughter and a boy after he walks in on them showing each other their privates. I definitely wouldn't say this is Smith's best movie, but it's certainly not the worse, and it's actually something you can enjoy with your kids. Great movie where if it's a Saturday afternoon, and your lazy and find it, to just chill out and enjoy.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
A good film. Ben Affleck is beautiful and this is a classic chick flick.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 5, 2009
He wanted it all...but he got more than he bargained for.

Good movie, I really liked the story. Jersey Girl is a good film, I don't know why anyone would say that this is a bad film, I understand people not liking it, but the story was very decent and the acting was I'd say above average. One of the things I loved was that the story was very human, the little girl who played Gertie, Raquel Castro, was perfect for the role and didn't over do anything or made her character annoying. I recommend that every parent who has small children watch this movie because it's so tough been a parent these days thus making time for your children and having to worry about your job all the time.

In New York, the young executive Oliver "Ollie" Trinke is a successful PR of the music industry. He meets and falls in love for Gertrude Steiney, who soon gets pregnant. However, she dies in the childbirth and Ollie decides to return to his father's home in New Jersey. Pressed by the situation of lonely father, the workaholic Ollie blows-up in an important press conference and makes a fatal statement, losing his job and becoming blacklisted in his publicist career. He promises to be the "best father in the world" to the young Gertie, and stays single, grieving his beloved wife, without dating any woman for seven years and trying to retrieve a position of public relation. One day, he meets the rental clerk Maya, they become friends and she helps him to supersede his past life.
Ken S

March 26, 2007
Unfairly maligned by fan boys, Jersey Girl is not the train wreck you've heard about. The movie is in fact pretty good. While it suffers from an overly saccharin soundtrack the film has a lot of great moments.

It's also hands down the best looking Kevin Smith film to date. The clean subtle cinematography by Vilmos Zigmond give the film a great feel.
Worth checking out if you're in the mood for a super cute romantic comedy.
Red L

June 1, 2010
Ben Affleck, up and coming publicist exec, is left raising a daughter on his own. He has to choose between being a family guy or the successful exec. Of course, this is smaltz - you know how it is going to end, but I liked it anyways.

There is a scene with Will Smith (he gets no credit for some reason) that is pretty good. But it is pretty bad writing that a publicist would not know what the play Sweeney Todd is all about.
Conner R

January 3, 2010
It's an odd movie in that it's not all that great, but I wouldn't exactly call it bad. I commend Kevin Smith for trying something new, but it just didn't work out like some of his other movies have. It's just a little too corny and meaningless to be set next to his other films, which are all pretty consistently unique.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Despite that this film sees Kevin Smith going in a different direction, it does not suck, and it is very sweet, charming, and funny, even if it is contrived and formulaic here and there. It still has the witty and brilliant dialogue that Smith is known for, and the supporting cast (and cameos) are great as well. Say what you want about Ben, but he did a good job here. So did Jennifer Lopez. She's a much better actress than her filmography makes her out to be. The most props though, I feel, need to go to Raquel Castro, the cute and precocious little girl who plays the titular character. She does a great job holding her own against the vast talent (starring and supporting) she's working with, and, unlike a lot of roles children like her get, this one doesn't see her playing an annoying kid, and, while she is smart, she's still shown as a vulnerable young kid, and not a grown up trapped in a seven-year-old's body. This film gets a lot of undeserved flack, but I say see it and give it a chance.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

December 2, 2007
i absolutely loved this flick. i found the film to be a bit uncomfortble at times and affleck gave a typical boring performance of affleckian measure, but everything else about this film touched me quite a bit. i have been slowly growing to love liv tyler over the last year when as recent as two years ago she was one of my least favorite actresses of all time, and this film put me over the top. tyler was the best part of the film and im now convinced of her sexyness and charm as an actress. each of the other performances save afflecks were also very good and the film brought me smiles.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Ollie: "Cats" is the second worst thing that ever happened to New York City.

What can I say, I am biased towards liking Smith's movies. It's not part of the View Askewneverse and Jason Biggs is for some reason involved, but I liked it. I think everyone does a good job here and I enjoy watching it.

Ben Affleck was a big player in New York, until his wife, Jennifer Lopez, dies during child birth, eventually resulting in Affleck moving back to Jersey to live with his father, George Carlin, and raise his daughter.

Years later, he must struggle with trying to find another job in New York while also raising his daughter. He has also just met a local girl, Liv Tyler, who takes a liking to this duo.

If there is any problem with this movie, its that it eventually follows a familiar formula. Its not a bad thing, but it doesn't make the movie stand out too much. It does help that there are a number of scenes that show off Smith's talent for dialog. It also helps that the girl playing Affleck's daughter is very good, especially for a young child actor, and not in an annoying cute way either.

Overall its decent and enjoyable, but Smith should stick in R rated territory.

Ollie: Isn't that cute? It's 8 o'clock and you both get a bottle.
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Underrated movie. Most people write it off for either being a chick flick or one of the Ben/Jen flicks but it was honest and loving and even had the funny stuff Smith is known for.
SilentWarProductions2009
April 18, 2007
Directed by: Kevin Smith.
Starring: Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Raquel Castro.

Who would have thought that Kevin Smith could be tame? Kevin Smith is a legend in my eyes. His screenplay's are always outstanding and he has smart insights into real situations and manages to capture conversations that real people would have. For many Kevin Smith fans, they will probably hate this film if there range for films is limited to vulgar humor, but this is Kevin at his personal best.

Now it is strange seeing him doing a film like this, especially when he used to put these kind of films down years ago, but he has matured and decided to tackle this and of course its bound to be cliched, predictable and formulaic....but its formula done right. And what makes it right is Kevin's script, every character is realistically created and set up in real situations, none of these far-fetched Hollywood setups. The films humor is more tame then his previous films but its sharp witty humor remains intact. Some of the actors do a pretty good job, I mean nothing will ever beat the performances in Chasing Amy but Ben and Liv manage to do pretty well, with George Carlin giving a terrific and funny performance and Raquel Castro stealing every scene she is in, she is cute, but also shows a lot of maturity....definitely someone to look out for in the next 10 years.

Overall it is Kevin at his best and shows his tame side, but still managing to keep his sharp witty humor intact and making a sweet, formulaic film....that is done right.
Cherry D

August 20, 2007
"Forget about what you thought you were and just accept who you are."
Rachel F

August 6, 2007
Ok, I don't think it was as bad as everyone says, but it definitely could have been better.
Dean L

July 17, 2007
What to say? I am a Kevin Smith Fanatic. I saw Clerks in the theater 3 times. I have watched "An Evening With Kevin Smith" several times. I own all of his movies. I am what he himself would term a "fan boy." For Kevin Smith...this movie was sub-par. The dialogue was, for the most part, trite, the ending was clichéd and you knew exactly what was going to be said and done by each character at every turn. There were some trademark KS moments and of course the Jason Lee and Matt Damon Cameo (along with a few others), but I could not get into this film. I have always admired Kevin Smith's ability to push it to the edge and bring us places that other directors/writers have been unable to bring us...this was not so in Jersey Girl. I am sure to watch this movie again to see if I missed something quintessentially KS, but I don't think I will. I am POSITIVE I will see every Kevin Smith film that comes after this, but I have to say I was disappointed. If this film was made by anyone else, I might have said, "ok." It wasn't and I expected more.
Tim B

March 13, 2007
I know, it looks like a real turd, but at least it was better than "Chasing Amy". Maybe it's because I'm a new father, but I actually found it fairly touching. I also thought the Wil Smith angle clever.
Al S

September 10, 2006
Ben Affleck has never been better. Liv Tyler is teriffic. George Carlin is hilarious. A great blend of outragious comedy and powerful drama. Kevin Smiths best and most mature work to date. Endlessly enjoyable, heartfelt, smart and wildly funny.