Jesus' Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus' Son Reviews

December 21, 2009
We are all his sons asshole!
½ November 19, 2006
Jesus' Son is a really fun and hysterical movie about the adventures of a dope fiend. Of course, finding the movie fun may be completely missing the point but then again I've always been a fan of the random humor which is served up in abundance here. The story's told through a series of almost vignettes where the great cast (for the most part) only gets a few minutes to shine. The movie never glamorizes drug use but at the same time never really seems to go out of its way to not make it entertaining. If that makes any sense. Unfortunately, the movie (like most drug people I've known through the years) gets dull as hell once it sobers up. Which may or may not be the entire point of the movie. Great movie full of great moments with a great soundtrack.
April 21, 2009
Jesus' Son does great things with its titular character, the mysteriously unnamed Fuckhead. He is immensely likable - check out that winning smile and the off-kilter, observant humor - but his behavior is reprehensible. He is an idiot, but the kind of idiot who you're so close to that you want to help them rather than condemn them. The movie plays with your feelings toward FH, engaging you in a rollercoaster of frustration and pride. And when he gets hurt, it's like a punch to the gut. Billy Crudup's performance, in this way, is really remarkable. He oozes charisma and fun and gentle idiocy to the point where this film becomes a vignette in the life of that crackhead idiot you love to talk to at parties.

Also notable is Samantha Morton, in a stunning, indelible performance brimming with risk. Michelle is a completely ugly character, but Morton sells her appeal against all odds.
½ June 14, 2006
See this for all of the supporting actors involved.
½ November 12, 2014
½ January 28, 2013
A terrific--if extremely outlandish--story, backed up with an impeccably loveable performance from Billy Crudup, Jesus' Son is nothing short of an indie classic.
May 16, 2012
A wonderfully acted look at 1970's subculture. Being somewhat familiar with the source material I was surprised how faithfully this adaptation kept the spirit of the short stories.
April 1, 2012
There is a price to be paid for dreaming.

The Story: A drug addled man wanders through life, meeting a slew of interesting people along the way. It doesn't really go too far too fast, and it slows down towards the end of the film, but it's got a strong script that makes up for any flaws that the film might have. It's doesn't have the greatest cinematography, but it's got a good gritty style that really pulls you in and makes you feel like you're a part of this mans life. Take all that, and throw in some genuinely funny moments, and some genuinely heartbreaking moments and you're guaranteed to be entertained.

The Cast: Billy Crudup, Samantha Morton... Billy Crudup is FH, he's the drug addled young man mentioned above. He's a loveable character in that he's got a great child like quality that really makes you feel for him. He gives a great performance here, you'll be hanging on his every word from the second you hear his voice. He's like a good version of Ashton Kutcher, seriously watch this film and tell me you don't see Ashton Kutcher if he was a slightly better actor. Samantha Morton is Michelle, she's the love of FH's life, and the girl who leads him into his addiction to drugs. Her story is tragic enough to break anyone's heart, and her performance strong, but she's still not quite as memorable FH.

One to Five Scale: 5

The last 45 minutes or so moves kind of slowly, but the strong script and amazing performances make this one a true gem. If you pass on this one than you're making a big mistake.

Tyler
½ May 25, 2011
The movie is a sometimes light hearted look at the people involved with one drug users life. The synopsis gives away most of the story, so don't ead it if you are going to watch it anyway. The tittle is not fitting since it never comes up in the movie. I wouldn't say the movie is bad in any one point, but it never really conected with me at any point either.
½ July 22, 2010
a deeply interesting take on morality and drug addiction, with brilliant performances from both leads and supporting cast.
March 10, 2010
Of all the drugg Addict movies I have seen I Would Have to say (Go Ask Alice), (Rush), (BasketBall Diary's) And This Are at the top ...
This one is So Colourfull.. This kid Has THee Worst few days of his life and still Carries Such A Bright Smile .. And Holly Hunter OMG !!! She Plays A Great Spooky Widow Of MANY lol ;p
½ November 30, 2009
I watched this movie based on high reccomendations from a couple of friends. They really liked ut, so I finally got around to watching it. Needless to say I was a little dissapointed. The films direction is extremely unique and that is the films greatest strength, and weakness. There are very few films quite like this movie. It follows the main character from place to place, point to point, date to date, and it jumps around from each scene. One second we're following him down a wet road, the next second we've gone back 3 days. Then we jump forward and back, again, and again, and again. It can get very confusing to tell what's going on. Despite all the confusion, Crudup gave an excellent performance. Wbile I didn't think this film was amazing, I was entertained, and a little confused, throughout the entire thing.
August 4, 2009
Rightfully episodic and teetering between hilarity and heartbroken. One of the better observed "drug addiction" films. Jack Black bursts onto the screen in an instant star making comedic performance.
½ June 19, 2009
Jesus' Son is written in a very interesting way. It makes weak, ordinary ideas into intelligent commentary.
April 2, 2009
Taken from Denis Johnson's seminal collection of short stories, Jesus' Son is a brilliant little slice of life movie centered on drug addiction. A fresh-faced Billy Crudup works wonders, joined by an all-star and gifted cast made up of Denis Leary, Denis Hopper, Holly Hunter and the enchanting Samantha Morton. It's pretty under the radar, but worth the search.
March 28, 2009
Jesus' Son gives a hilarious view of a serious problem, as opposed to the usual "stoner/druggie" films that often times glorify drug use with unkempt hair, mindless jokes, and the use of the words "dude" and "rad." Billy Crudup, whom I've loved since seeing Almost Famous and Big Fish, gives a great performance. This was the first time that I had actually found someone with the nickname "Fuckhead" likeable.
½ February 25, 2009
This is Billy Crudup's best performance yet in this fantastic film about the adventure of an "odd" young man searching for his love.
August 28, 2008
Prolly not as good as I remembered it. It's about a guy who stops doing heroin and turns his life around. Some pretty good visuals, though.
August 8, 2007
Good cast and slightly interesting, but the structure of it (skipping here and there, metting people and leaving just when they get interesting) annoyed me at times, especially when the supporting cast was very interesting though they never got to be onscreen for more than five minutes. I like Crudup and all, but he got on my nerves in this one with his constantly smiling stoned nomad character. I just didn't like him and I didn't like Morton, either, she just has a weird look to her that I don't care for. It all just seemed kind of pointless.