Jesus' Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus' Son Reviews

December 21, 2009
We are all his sons asshole!
½ November 19, 2006
Jesus' Son is a really fun and hysterical movie about the adventures of a dope fiend. Of course, finding the movie fun may be completely missing the point but then again I've always been a fan of the random humor which is served up in abundance here. The story's told through a series of almost vignettes where the great cast (for the most part) only gets a few minutes to shine. The movie never glamorizes drug use but at the same time never really seems to go out of its way to not make it entertaining. If that makes any sense. Unfortunately, the movie (like most drug people I've known through the years) gets dull as hell once it sobers up. Which may or may not be the entire point of the movie. Great movie full of great moments with a great soundtrack.
April 21, 2009
Jesus' Son does great things with its titular character, the mysteriously unnamed Fuckhead. He is immensely likable - check out that winning smile and the off-kilter, observant humor - but his behavior is reprehensible. He is an idiot, but the kind of idiot who you're so close to that you want to help them rather than condemn them. The movie plays with your feelings toward FH, engaging you in a rollercoaster of frustration and pride. And when he gets hurt, it's like a punch to the gut. Billy Crudup's performance, in this way, is really remarkable. He oozes charisma and fun and gentle idiocy to the point where this film becomes a vignette in the life of that crackhead idiot you love to talk to at parties.

Also notable is Samantha Morton, in a stunning, indelible performance brimming with risk. Michelle is a completely ugly character, but Morton sells her appeal against all odds.
½ June 14, 2006
See this for all of the supporting actors involved.
½ May 25, 2011
The movie is a sometimes light hearted look at the people involved with one drug users life. The synopsis gives away most of the story, so don't ead it if you are going to watch it anyway. The tittle is not fitting since it never comes up in the movie. I wouldn't say the movie is bad in any one point, but it never really conected with me at any point either.
August 4, 2009
Rightfully episodic and teetering between hilarity and heartbroken. One of the better observed "drug addiction" films. Jack Black bursts onto the screen in an instant star making comedic performance.
March 28, 2009
Jesus' Son gives a hilarious view of a serious problem, as opposed to the usual "stoner/druggie" films that often times glorify drug use with unkempt hair, mindless jokes, and the use of the words "dude" and "rad." Billy Crudup, whom I've loved since seeing Almost Famous and Big Fish, gives a great performance. This was the first time that I had actually found someone with the nickname "Fuckhead" likeable.
½ June 2, 2007
The story of innocence, with a title stolen from a velvet underground track, Jesus' son captures the story of a young junkie, and his eventual absolution..
½ May 12, 2007
A beautiful little movie, largely unseen by the general public. Do yourself a favour, and rent this one!
½ December 12, 2006
Excellent music score in the soundtrack. Great coming of age flick, of hittin' rock bottom and starting over.
October 10, 2006
Jack Black easily steals his scene, but the entire film maintains a sweetness in a world of drugs and lonliness.
½ May 17, 2015
Somehow this quirky and magical little film has been forgotten. A great movie.
½ March 11, 2015
What a trip inside of a trip wrapped in a riddle and filled with bunnies ;) SAW IT.
½ November 12, 2014
½ October 22, 2014
Very surprised I'd never seen this before. If I'd even heard of it, I didn't remember. Super impressive cast featuring Billy Crudup, Samantha Morton, Michael Shannon, Denis Leary, Jack Black, Dennis Hopper, and Holly Hunter. RIYL: Arizona Dream, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Chappaqua.
June 19, 2013
This movie an 81%? Why? In fact that is my question as to why this movie was even made. The subject of a loser drifting through his life without much rhyme or reason and having not much real difference in his reason for living or focus when he gives up drugs as before doesn't make much sense to me. And why should we care? He doesn't . A poor excuse for a movie.
½ February 1, 2013
I've read Jesus' Son and usually I really enjoy seeing adaptations but this movie didn't really do it for me. It's just one of those books that I would rather leave in my imagination.
½ January 28, 2013
A terrific--if extremely outlandish--story, backed up with an impeccably loveable performance from Billy Crudup, Jesus' Son is nothing short of an indie classic.
½ June 7, 2012
Funny, tragic, weird, and awesome. Not much else to say.