Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)
Average Rating: 5.2/10
Reviews Counted: 26
Fresh: 15 | Rotten: 11
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 4
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 2
Average Rating: 2.7/5
User Ratings: 49,014
Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Patrick Shanley's first foray into the director's chair is a quirky romantic fantasy, featuring Bo Welch's signature production design. Tom Hanks plays Joe Banks, a man who hates his job, thinks the overhead fluorescent lights are making him sick, and quakes at the presence of his boorish boss Frank Watori (Dan Hedaya). He is attracted to the office secretary DeDe (Meg Ryan) but is afraid to speak to her. Then his life changes when he visits Dr. Ellison
Mar 9, 1990 Wide
Apr 2, 2002
Warner Home Video
Watch It Now
Angelica, DeDe, Patrici...
Samuel Harvey Graynamor...
Mr. Frank Watori
Chief of the Waponis
Marshall the Chauffeur
Ben the Waponi Advance ...
Statue of Liberty
The (Waponi) God Woo
Clerk (at The Rectal Pr...
This fascinating-but-flawed parable is the Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan romantic comedy for people who don't like Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan romantic comedies.
A more fascinating mess you'll never find.
The unredeemable result of Hollywood's total capitulation to the Spielberg/Lucas aesthetic of the 80s.
Somehow I can't hate this. Then again, I can't really like it, either.
Audience Reviews for Joe Versus the Volcano
- Joe Banks: I have no interest in myself. When I think about myself, I get bored out of my mind.
- Patricia: My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement.
- Patricia: I wonder where we'll end up?
- Joe Banks: Away from the things of man, my love. Away from the things of man.
- Hairdresser: SHAZAM!
- Mr. Frank Watori: I'm NOT arguing that with you!
There are no discussion threads for Joe Versus the Volcano yet.
Latest News on Joe Versus the Volcano
October 13, 2008:Details of Cameron Crowe's Latest Revealed
Has Cameron Crowe been watching a lot of "Joe vs. the Volcano"? Nick and James from Gone Elsewhere...
December 26, 2007:Total Recall: In Honor of AVP:R, Memorable Cinematic Title Fights
This week, we're taking it to the screen with Alien vs. Predator: Requiem, the latest mash up of...