The Journey of August King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

iLeo
½ December 19, 2007
Very interesting!
½ January 7, 2007
Really enjoyedthis,Jason Patric was excellent as weellas Thandie Newton,wish they both would actmore/get decent roles!
½ April 27, 2014
It truly means well and Jason Patric puts soul into his performance, but The Journey of August King ultimately just comes off as terribly misguided crap.
March 12, 2014
One of those films that reminds one that no matter how dark and cruel the times, some people rise to the challenge and do the right,moral thing at the cost of everything they thought they wanted to find that living with yourself comes first.
March 9, 2014
A must watch; escape from Dixieland.
October 17, 2012
I loved this movie...a natural and beautiful love story
½ September 26, 2012
This was a truly beautiful and inspiring film. I've been meaning to see if for quite some time and I was very pleased with the plot and the incredible acting by Jason Patric and Thandie Newton. Simply beautiful.
April 16, 2012
I can't believe this hasn't gotten better ratings!
March 13, 2011
loved the movie and the end song - Pretty Bird.
December 24, 2010
yeah i liked the movie.
November 20, 2010
Set in North Carolina in 1815, this is the story of a lonely widower tracking back home and encountering a run away slave girl. An understated performance from Jason Patric plays off well with that of Thandie Newton. Highlighting the social injustice of the time and the hope in humankind, this is ultimately an uplifting story. Nicely paced, great scenery and ultimately satisfying story.
½ February 13, 2010
Very fine presentation.
Makes one wonder what they would do to help another.
October 21, 2009
this movie has passion. a white man who helps a slave woman get to the north and loses his home for helping her. this movie really touched my heart. i saw it one time and it was burned into my brain!!!
½ December 6, 2008
Films with noble themes such as this one sometimes find themselves shielded from criticism. However if you look at this film just as another movie what we have here is actually not that great a movie dealing with huge themes.
The story of August Hill who finds redemption in the noble sacrifice of his way off life to aid the escape of an escaped slave is noble but I do not feel Jason Patrick lends the lead character enough weight to portray the guilt he is supposed to be carrying. Again Thandie Newton as the slave girl Analeese is okay, but the character is very two dimensional.
There is little to no support story or characters and in the end this feels like a bog standard television movie that is only lifted out of the doldrums by a decent conclusion.
I for one will not be watching this again.
December 2, 2008
wow just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch i think that jason patrick is a good actor but i wish hed make some good movies (aside from this movie)...this has got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that the director of this Drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its enjoyable as well i think that thandie newton is a good actress n she plays a good part throughout this movie the scenery throughout this movie is kewl as well
½ January 1, 2008
Wonderful film about love, loss, hope, and redemption of the human spirit. Visuallt stunning, well-written, very uplifting movie. Highly reconmended.

Also Jason Patric's best performance in any motion picture. Seriously.