Jumpin' Jack Flash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jumpin' Jack Flash Reviews

½ May 27, 2011
A Hitchcock plot, that is very good. But the screenplay don't help. Too silly to be good.
Chiefilms
½ September 3, 2009
Whoopi!! Not really that funny. She needs eyebrows.
½ August 10, 2006
A fun spy comedy, with a typical 80?s feel to it. Whoopi Goldberg is her usual overtalking fun self and the film makes for easy watching.
July 6, 2009
I figure if I saw a film and the only thing I remember about it was that I saw it, I couldn't have been very impressed.
April 25, 2008
Whoopi is funny in this flick which is funny but really close to being an action flick.
thmtsang
July 21, 2007
Whoopi has to help a spy via computer.
garyX
½ May 11, 2007
Yet another woeful outing for Whoopi, this time a "comedy" spy film. She's a one trick pony, and the projects she chose to get involved with are uniformly awful. Don't bother.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
decent whoopi flick
deano
November 21, 2006
Good comic spy caper with Whoopi Goldberg the programmer getting messages from an agent on her terminal.
xxdebxx
April 24, 2010
This is a hilarious movie about a bank employee who loves to play around with her computer and chat with people from different countries which often get her in trouble with her boss. One day she comes into contact with a mysterious British Intelligence agent who calls himself "Jumpin' Jack Flash" who seems to be great danger. Terry tries to help her new friend out - but by doing so puts her own life in danger and this places bad guy Jeremy Talbot (John Wood) on her tail and gets her into a whole lot of hilarious trouble!! I found it funny and entertaining; Whoopi Goldberg puts in a great performance and the rest of the cast work well together.

"Earl, look at this face. This is the face of a woman on the edge." "I know, my wife has that same face."
June 6, 2009
A nostalgic classic that I'd happily re-watch. I especially loved the ITV-censored version, replete with bizarre english-accented dubbing of "freaking" over Goldberg's "fucking". "Not the crotch!!"
February 14, 2008
meh....
½ June 21, 2014
Goldberg performed well with good humorous ways while following a nice concept to the spy genre. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
½ November 4, 2013
Whoopi Goldberg is a computer transaction person at a bank, who gets roped into a spy plot when she is IM'd by some stranger who names himself after Rolling Stones tunes, and asks her to vaguely help him with some problem he may be having. It is a decent concept actually, sort of like a modern (for the 80s) Hitchcock tale, but the problem is that the script has been written to be too comedic, I guess to highlight Whoopi's skills...but she is capable of much more than being a jokester (she has a fucking Oscar)...and there are ons of horribly ADR'd lines that explain in dialogue what we can all easily see on screen. Show not tell jerks! It also goes on long past it's welcome. I was surprised to see this was the directorial debut of Penny Marshall, who directed some pretty good movies in "Big" and "A League of Their Own".
½ December 8, 2012
It stars Whoopi Goldberg, was directed by Penny Marshall, and epitomizes 80's schlock movie-making... and it's still not all that bad.
½ September 26, 2009
Such a fun movie! I loved the story, although there have been similar movies, this is totally 80s, and has action and comedy too. Plus there were so many great actors popping up all over the place unexpectedly. I have to say I loved it, even though I hadn't been a Whoopi fan before.
March 10, 2012
i dont care what the critics said about this picture I love it. One of my all-time favorites from childhood. Funny dialogue and filled with a ton of one-liners and zingers makes this GenXer standby a gem. Look for the cool cast of 80's SNL regulars and a few surprises (Like Johnathan Pryce and Robert Guillaume)
July 6, 2009
Why does everybody hatet his?

PLOT:Terry (Whoopi Goldberg) is an average*ahemNOWAY* bank terminal worker with an asshole boss and a crazy work family. One day when she's about to leave, she recieves a message from a person who calls himself Jumpin' Jack Flash and he asks her to get a code key to talk to him. That's as much as I will reveal because it's a wild, unpredictable plot, but it is obvious, this being a classic mystery-comedy, he's a spy. The plot's basic but LAID with twists and turns to shock and fill with laughter. It's executed excellently.

ACTING:Most all acting was very good, but one actor was just annoying even if she did play the part well and that was Carol Kane as Cynthia. Watch and you'l lsee what I mean!

SCORE:The score was very mezmerizing and mysterious. Well done to Thomas Newman, who's style I enjoy. The soundtrack was pretty neat to and included a rockin' version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by Aretha Franklin with Keith Richards still on guitar! I always jam out to that.

OTHER CONTENT:Besides HER acting, the only other flaw I can find is that the acting and comedy can get very crude, whic makes it a little wrong and imperfect. But I, with my twisted sense of humor, love it. I also liked how computers were used in the movie. Very cool.

OVERALL,it's a great comedy-mystery with an unpredictable plot, great acting (minus one), mezmerizing score, and crude jokes. But I love the crude jokes.
April 14, 2010
Whoopi Goldberg's devotion to cursing made me laugh a lot. Fun freaking movie. It's better than You've Got Mail. Plus it's got the guy from Ronin who "can't show his fehss."
March 17, 2010
I love this movie. It is so funny and Whoopi is great. I especially love when she is in her penguin slippers dancing like Jagger. Such a great movie.