Juno

January 24, 2008
twee lite
John M

March 2, 2008
Touching, Heartwarming, funny, compelling, intelligent, i cant even stress how good a movie this is. Watch it, own it.
cosmo313
cosmo313

December 7, 2007
There were many great films that came out around 2007 and 2008, and this one proved to be in the top tier.

After a fling with her longtime pal leaves her pregnant, snarky, witty, and smart 16 year-old Juno MacGuff decides to do the right thing and give her baby up for adoption to a seemingly perfect yuppie couple unable to have kids of their own.

It's a coming-of-age romantic comedy, that might be the best entry in either of those two categories I've seen. This is a very sharply written, finely observed film that is irresistibly heartwarming, charming, and moving. Though Juno is more of a stylized ideal than anything else, she represents the kind of teenage girl we need to see more of in real life. She's a good belng of being smart, yet far from perfect.

This was the "indie darling" of its year, but I don't see that as a bad thing. This movie is a great example of why I love indies from time to time. There's excellent writing (and thankfully the 'teen speak' isn't overdone), lots of heart, depth, and humor, and some great performances to boot.

I mean, you get top notch work from EVERYONE here, but especially Page, Garner, Thirlby, and Janney.

I know I'm praising this film a lot, and, while it is justified, part of why I love this film is that I have a personal and emotional connection to it. A little pain is involved, but despite some bitter-sweetness, this film is tied to an important part of my life, and I would be a worse off person without this film.

I highly recommend this, because, even though my connection to it can't be shared by everyone, this film is still brilliant without having such a deep meaning for me.
KJ P

April 25, 2010
"Juno" is one of the most loveable teen films in the past decade. Filled with tons of heart and tons of light comedy, this film takes a simple story of a 16-year-old girl getting pregnant and makes it into this beautiful story revolving around character development, character chemistry, and learning lessons between right and wrong. This is not only a nice teen/dramedy flick, but it also serves as a school lesson for young teens and what problems could arise in these situations. Definitely one of my favourite films of 2007. I loved the unique direction and the script is very very well written. There is just so much to love about this little film!
Matthew Samuel M

March 22, 2013
Though imperfect, it's funny and charming at times.
Louis R

November 2, 2010
A sublime script, with perfect performances and direction, blasting away cliches like a giant leaf-blower of a film and challenging anyone to raise an eyebrow at its 'quirkiness'. Excellent.
Eric A

August 24, 2012
Funny and quirky while dramatic and compelling. Great indie movie with good direction!
Graham J

November 20, 2011
Ellen Page steals the show in Reitman's first classic film, though you do feel like maybe Reitman may have stolen one too many things from Wes Anderson
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Always a bit smarter than you might think. Full review later.
Idrees K

January 1, 2008
Out of the myriad of rom-com's that have come out over the past half decade or so, Juno is the sweetest, most touching of the lot. Full of quirky one-liners and a hint of things being deeper and more complicated than they seem, not a single scene is wasted. Ellen Page gives a phenomenal performance as the titular character, who has a habit of pushing the limits, but never quite going too far (except the whole pregnancy thing). Juno treats her pregnancy as more of an infection, or disease, that simply gets in the way of you leading your life until its over. All the while, Michael Cera races to the finish line.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
Starring the actress we know from INCEPTION and WHIP IT and the actor we know from SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD and SUPERBAD, JUNO is a ridiculously funny comedy about an unplanned teen pregnancy. When I rented it, even though it was nominated for a few Oscars and was highly praised review-wise, I feared that it would be an "indie" twist on the usual dumb-humor farce; but it's extremely simple to say that that's not at all what this was. It was an amazing blend of controversy and laughs that, quite surprisingly, weren't from raunchiness or crudeness, but rather from the cleverness of the plot and sub-plots altogether.
Daniel J D

January 11, 2008
I hate to see Michael Cera typecast into this sort of role, but everyone else in the movie had to make room for Ellen Page to shine.

The Moldy Peaches, w00t.
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 25, 2008
Usually I don't like movies like this but in this case I did. Ellen and Michael have great chemistry and it's just one of those movies that goes by fast. Its a feel good movie. My Dad even liked it lol. :) :) :)
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A really good film!
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 2, 2010
Completely deserving of the Best Screenplay Oscar......
"Sorry, I'm on my hamburger phone."
Love it.
Ellen Page is so brilliant!
One of the best films of the strong year, 2007!
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Juno has definitely become way too popular and reveered for its own good, but it still retains its unique writing and great Ellen Page performance. This has become a word synonymous with the indie culture; posessing all things quirky and unexpected. That is a strength sometimes, but most of the time it just dates the movie a lot; here's no doubting it came out in 2007. It was a time where Michael Cera and Jason Bateman were starting their dominance over comedy and gloating over their Arrested Development. It also seems to be chalk full with just about anyone who has a little bit of indie movie fame. Jason Reitman's vision is nowhere near as powerful as the writing and ultimately piggy-backs on Diablo Cody and her bizarre version of high school. Now Ellen Page seemed to be the person who really got what this story was about and her sarcastic tone lack of enthusiasm towards the dialogue is great. That makes you properly analze the actions of the characters and the plot; otherwise it would just be nonsense with enough indie music and obscure refrences to populate a small coffee shop in Seattle.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
At first this movie, particularly its dialogue, is unique and funny. Then it goes on making similar coy, smug and self aware remarks and "jokes." It starts out interesting but gets increasingly annoying along the way.
Sophie B

May 11, 2011
An interesting and sweet little flm that says more about "irresponsible" teenagers than what it does "responsible" rich adults. It's interesting to see how each couple react to everything that happens in this flim as by the end it's clear that maybe the baby would be better off with it's biological parents. Juno makes an adult decision since she learns of her mistake which puts her head and shoulders above the guy who left his good job, house and wife to become a musician. Intersting character study.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
A funny, touching story with really good direction (Reitman would later do a great job with Up In the Air) and great performances. Only sometimes did things begin to go downhill, plot-wise. Still a great movie.