19% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Ju-on: The Curse (Curse Grudge) Reviews

Jani H

June 28, 2010
'Ju-On' is one of the most popular franchises in Japanese horror. I'm not a big fan of the JapHorror genre. Why am I writing this review then, you may ask? In June 16th, 2010, a rating of 'Ju-On 2: The Grudge' came to my ratings, even though I had never seen or even been remotely interested in the movie. Some asshole probably hacked in to my profile (and I'm not the only one, check out your ratings for the above mentioned date) and gave a random rating. I decided that I'll see the movie(s) at some point because I'm not gonna let some assfuck mess up my system!

'Ju-on' jumps around in time telling the mystery behind some eerie shit. Some guy killed his family in jealous rage. Why? Because of some eerie shit, I say! Some guy starts investigating the case and I'm sure that he regretted it instantly when shit starts to happen.

I wasn't that interested in the movie. Maybe because I was kinda forced to see it. I know, not the right way to start seeing a movie. But I'll admit that there were a lot of scenes that made me uncomfortable. The Japs can surely do some creepy stuff.

'Ju-On' was ok and all but not "my cup of tea". It's slow paced and the straight-to-video look didn't max the feeling of it all. For those who wanna be scared and see some stuff that'll give you nightmares or keep your light on, 'Ju-on' is a sure bet.
garyX
garyX

June 17, 2010
I thought I was too old and cynical to be scared by a movie any more. I was wrong...It sent shivers down my spine in a way that hasn't happened since I was a child!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 12, 2009
One word: boring
Anoop K

October 21, 2010
The original 'Grudge' movie by Takashi Shimizu, who also directed the later Japanese and Hollywood remakes. This one is a cheap direct-to-dvd film, but is pretty much effective. Less dependent on sound effect cliches and gore, Ju On tells the story of a grudge born and transferred in a house in mixed chronology style. The Hollywood remake is indeed more scary, but this one is a good watch too.
Anthony V

October 6, 2008
One of the scariest films ever made. Not captured as well in the American remakes.
RicardoCraneo
November 7, 2011
And that's how you make a creepy-as-shit film using basic filming techniques, limited locations, little to no special effects, etc. It manages to send a chill up your spine even when all of the film is set in either daytime or broad daylight. Produces many indoor phobias too. The scares are set up in such a way where you don't really need much acting skills from your cast palette, which is why the minimalism might also be adding to the creep factor as it alienates the audience in more way than one. Kinda weird that it was made on a four-mill budget (IMDb) though. Anyway, some might see it as hokey and lacking in a solid story and format since a lot of the elements are tossed about non-chronologically but it kept the storytelling interesting seeing how one event relates to another and unwinds for the worse. Might need some clarity with another viewing on what precisely went on since a lot of the synopses online are retelling stuff that wasn't even hinted at. Far from polished but the best 69 minutes of J-horror I've seen so far.
KennyMcMurphy
July 27, 2011
This movie was absoulutely terrifying never ending thril ride I love the Ju-On series,I'llbe the first to say that And this movie had quite the afffect to get me into the rest
MichelleasaurusRex
December 13, 2008
Great movie. Japanese horror films are always so good. This actually had some really creepy scenes. Like with the girl without her jaw, and the way that girl was sliding down the stares. Freaky movie. I started watching part two, but it was the same exact movie, they just changed the other of the scenes around.
October 9, 2013
Os breves momentos legais de suspense não conseguem compensar o todo monótono que é o filme, com seu roteiro furado e a total falta de personagens interessantes.
July 26, 2013
The legendary The Grudge franchise originally titled Ju-On was born here back in 2000 starting with the film, Ju-On: The Curse. They say that if you die of rage, then a curse is born and that is what this movie is about. The ghost from these movies basically follows these victims around until they are mentally tortured and scarred to death. But where did the ghost come from? Well it turns out that this man brutally kills her wife and young son because he was jealous of his wife's love for another man who was actually a teacher from her high school. Searching for the son who has missed a lot of school, the teacher enters their house, only to find the dead ghost of his mother, and consequently has a heart attack and becomes a ghost himself. This movie is very good and you definitely check it out if you have the chance to and all its sequels. This movie is creepy, has gruesome build-up, has several WTF scares and you'll be turning away from your screen a lot, I fucking guarantee that! Now I understand why people think Far East horror is scarier than American horror. Ju-on: The Curse gets a 8/10.
Toad
December 4, 2012
Its not well made, and its slow, and blah blah but the horror scenes are still good.
October 15, 2012
there is a lot missing here but die hards will find some entertainment. not many scares though
July 30, 2012
This is a genuinely creepy Japanese ghost story told through short, but haunting vignettes.
July 1, 2012
scare me to death, but suck in deliver the feel and story
June 16, 2012
Only Asian filmmakers can succeed scaring me. The plot is somewhat clunky but the sight of the mother-and-son ghost tandem is enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.
FilmGrinder S.
May 12, 2012
78%

This is the scary version.
Tamara K.
December 4, 2011
I was quite scared honestly, even though the plot was very interesting, and didn't make much sense.
November 3, 2011
A terrifying movie that dares to dig into your skin and never leave
October 28, 2011
Who knew bad lighting, extremely slow pace and what not could make a film so effective. Absolutely brilliant movie, even the bad quality video was somewhat stunning. The kid who plays Toshio was way scarier than the one in JOTG ant the American remakes.
October 16, 2011
Ju-On: The Curse

Starring Megumi Okina, Misaki Otko, and Misa Uehara

Directed by Takashi Shimizu

Featured Running Time: 92 minutes

Back in 1998, a Japanese film called Ringu was released, introducing the world to the long hair and twisted face of Sadako; the biggest thing out of Japan since Sega. With her tattered nightie, rotten fingernails, and abyss like eyes, she managed to crawl her way out of the cinema and into audiences arms. Pulling in a little more than $137 million, Ringu quickly became the highest grossing Japanese film of all time. Two years later, Takashi Shimizu would take an alternate path in distributing his piece of Japanese horror revival, releasing Ju-On: The Curse as a part of V-Cinema; an industry that caters to releasing straight to DVD as a means of avoiding censorship. What came out of lower production costs was a film that helped pave the way for J-horror, spawning a remake that, along with Gore Verbinski's remake of The Ring, would take America by storm using the bare essentials in horror cinema.

Featuring six non-linear yet seemingly interlocked stories, Ju-On: The Curse opens with school teacher Kobayashi (Yurei Yanagi), who investigates the absence of a child who has been missing from school. This simple investigation leads Kobayashi to enter the boys unassuming home, one that hides a very sinister secret involving revenge, murder, and a deadly curse. Jumping between Kobayashi's investigation and the occupants of the house years later, Ju-On: The Curse shifts between a cold-blooded tale of revenge with that of a horrific ghost story, shifting the lives of those the curse happens to fall upon.

Director Takashi Shimizu manages to weave together six separate chapters all centering around one house, drawing us in with simple story telling and even simpler directing. Using low budget equipment and lighting, Shimizu captures the essence of horror with seemingly flawless execution, sustaining prolonged moments without catering to what we have come to expect from a genre that continually throws the obvious in our face. Shot after shot we are greeted with angles that allow us to drop our guard, lower our defenses, and assume the worst is over. What Shimizu does is toy with our expectations, allow us to get comfortable with what we're viewing before he raises the curtain and shows us what he has been hiding all along.

With effective use of its low-budget, its non-linear storytelling, and chilling images of horror, Ju-On: The Curse still manages to falter in its choice of direction, falling victim to the dangers of excess. In Chapter 4 titled Kanna, a dismembered body is investigated by two detectives who discover dead rabbits and a missing jaw bone at the scene of the crime. What unravels is the unnecessary use of CGI to enhance a particularly gory reveal, one that would have been a lot more effective had the director stuck with his eye towards simplicity. Soon afterwards we are greeted with Takeo Saeki (Takashi Matsuyama), the sadistic father of the aforementioned missing child, smashing a garbage bag containing a baby multiple times against a wall. This unnecessary showcase of violence goes beyond the films brilliant use of momentary horror, dragging on and revealing far more than what is necessary to unnerve its audience.

Ju-On: The Curse is a film that despite its missteps, is one that provides images that burrow deep down inside our consciousness, utilizing the bare minimum of production to do so. While feeling a bit disconnected at times with its use of non-linear storytelling, Takashi Shimizu manages to provide true horror in tiny bursts, embracing what we don't see and mixing it with what we don't know. Emerging before the hype of Japanese horror in America, Ju-On: The Curse is a film that has forever left an imprint in cinema, influencing years of horror and independent film for years to come.