39% The Other Woman Apr 25

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Jurassic Park Reviews

Christopher H

June 13, 2011
Steven Spielberg's 1993 "dinosaurs on the loose" action-fest is almost comparable to Star Wars in the way it opened audiences' mind to the possibilities of visual effects (particularly, the previously little-used CGI). Even by today's standards the CGI and animatronic effects still hold a candle to modern efforts, breathing vivid life and personality into the prehistoric beasts. Due to seeing this movie in the theaters at a young age, certain scenes such as the first T-rex appearance and any suspenseful sequence with the velociraptors are forever burned in my memory.

But how does the actual movie hold up once the nostalgia goggles are taken off? Well, the film's biggest asset (aside from the entertaining visuals) is by far Spielberg's self-assured direction and it's tight pacing. There is very little wasted time when it comes to establishing the plot and key exposition points before diving into the awe-inspiring action sequences. Also, the touchingly emotional score by the ever-reliable John Williams is absolutely breath taking and is as iconic as the film itself.

While never boring, this sci-fi adventure is little different from the "big dumb Hollywood spectacles" that infest modern-day summers. The characters are rather unremarkable and under-written. John Hammond, the fun-loving park manager that is played delightfully by Richard Attenborough, is the only person that goes through anything resembling an arc but even then it's nothing spectacular. The story seems mostly concerned with getting to the next action set piece as soon as possible with little breathing room for the characters to develop. Due to this, actors such as Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Martin Ferrero are given very little to work with outside of clunky and cliché exposition-laden dialogue (the "show don't tell rule" is broken quite a few times in this film). Jeff Goldblum fairs a little better as Ian Malcolm despite being mostly regulated to one-dimensional comic relief, and meanwhile Wayne Knight gives way to some pretty funny moments.

The script tries to bring up ethical questions pertaining to "science vs. nature", but it's half-baked and practically dropped by the time the second-half kicks in. It also does not help how the characters act very stupid at times (Malcolm during the T-rex's debut appearance) and some pretty blatant continuity errors (the T-rex somehow sneaking up on velociraptors despite previously making tremors wherever it went).

In the end, this influential blockbuster delivers on its still-impressive special effects and infectious thrills, but stumbles with it's straightforward-to-a-fault narrative and thin characterization. While I'll always have a soft-spot for this flick, it's just a shame that as an adult what I remember so fondly makes up only a fraction of it's actual quality.
Carlos M

December 23, 2010
A modern classic whose superb script is even more impressive than Spielberg's expert direction and the jaw-dropping effects to create the dinosaurs - including several scenes serving multiple functions and narrative elements introduced that turn out to be essential later.
Everett J

April 22, 2013
If I had to rank my top 10-20 favorite movies of all time, "Jurassic Park" would have to be on that list(probably around 10). It has everything. Action, adventure, great acting, a great plot, and 20 years later is holds up amazingly well. If you don't know the story, then run to the theater and see this now, because you will be missing out by not seeing this at least once on the big screen. I saw a teaser in IMAX when I saw the new "Oz" movie, and immediately knew I wanted to see this again. I wanted to see it at IMAX, but due to where I was the day we were gonna go, I could only see it in 3D. The 3D is done well, but it doesn't really add anything to enhance the movie, unless you see it in IMAX. The teaser I saw was the T-Rex scene, and let me tell you that was something special. You felt like you were right there in the car with the kids and wanted to hold your ears shut too at how loud the T-Rex roars. The effects on this movie are still awe inspiring and better than most movies made today. Time has been very kind to "Jurassic Park". I've heard that 2014 will bring part 4, and after rewatching this, it can't come soon enough
Edward B

April 22, 2007
I saw Jurassic Park first at the age of 9. It was no secret to my mother how much I loved dinosaurs, so as a reward for getting an A+ on a research project, she took me to see this movie at the theatre, and from that moment, my obsession with film began. Jurassic Park was the movie that made me fall in love with the movies. It introduced me to the magic of film, being able to see fantastical worlds where anything is possible.
As Jurassic Park IMAX 3D is released, I am slightly older and wiser (with much emphasis on the word 'slightly'), but the film has lost none of its magic. From a technical standpoint, the effects look as incredible as ever. The narrative is a brilliant mix of sci-fi, adventure, and horror, filled with great dialogue and intriguing ethical debates. At 28 years old, I may be able to read into the subtext while also spotting the plot lapses and continuity errors, but seeing this movie on the big screen in today's most up to date technology made me feel like a 9 year old kid again. It completely renewed my love for the movies.
skactopus
skactopus

April 28, 2007
Jurassic Park is an instant classic because Steven Spielberg has done dinosaurs right.The 120 minutes of screen time is such an easy sit through. The initial story and character setup is solid. Then, the power goes out and the film turns into one intense dinosaur extravaganza after another.The CG and animatronics are on the money, giving the variety of dinosaurs life. The chemistry between the human characters and dinosaurs is as real as it can get.From male to female and young to old, Jurassic Park gets it done in the character department. Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and Richard Attenborough deliver solid performances. Jeff Goldblum's comic relief is effective with the right dosage. Joseph Mazzello and Ariana Richards couldn't be asked for anything more with their frightened expressions.Jurassic Park. Nothing more needs to be said.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
Staggering effects for its time.
michael e.
michael e.

September 19, 2010
Overrated. This movie was one of the biggest, if not the biggest disappointment ive ever seen. I love dinosaurs, and the effects in this movie were good, but, it fell flat to me just because of how boring the characters are, and how i literally wished that everyone in the movie was eaten.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

August 8, 2012
This is my most favoured Spielberg movie. With such lovely visuals, the dinosaurs seem so life like. Featuring Sam Neill, Richard Attenborough and Samuel L Jackson as part of the cast. This superb monster movie contains such intense scenarios, such as the T-Rex outbreak and the Raptor attacks.For me, Jeff Goldblum stood out with his 'Chaos Theory' and his quote 'Life finds a way'. For those who love Spielberg and the most realistic visuals, this is worth a try. For me, this belongs to a list called 'Visually stunning films you must see before you die'
Graham J

July 22, 2012
Spielberg took the ideas that were behind the suspense of Jaws and executed them on a larger scale in this near perfect thriller/monster movie.
Wildaly M

May 18, 2007
Imaginative and definitely a great feat in terms of visual effects given the time it was filmed. The characters are somewhat annoying but overall it is a pretty great film.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
Fantastic!
The Jurassic Park movies are my favorite movies of all time that i just cant help but enjoy! I enjoy this movies more and more every time i watch them! It has some of the best CGI for its time as well!
Its exciting, compelling interesting and a really good storyline with some fantastic effects that are jaw dropping!
Fantastic performances from everyoe especiallly sam neil!!
Really good movie completely worth a watch!
Albert K

September 18, 2010
CGI still amazing to this day. I'm just gettin sick of the score Steven Spielberg keeps using... the screechy, violin kinda music.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 30, 2011
Jurassic Park ties with Jaws as Spielberg's best motion picture. This movie was a huge turning point in his career. As he experiments with the use of CGI something not used in Jaws and Gremlins. He makes amazing use of the equipment and materials given to him and creates another tenseful, scary and legendary cinematic experience. Jurassic Park has an amazing script and solid acting from all its cast members, even from the children and amazingly, the dinosaurs.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 8, 2007
Words cannot describe how much I love this movie. It was one of the first films I ever saw in the cinema, and I remember until this day how I excited I felt afterwards. Not only does it brilliantly entertain my love and fascination for dinosaurs, but it's such a magical viewing experience, that I can watch it a hundred times over and never lose interest. Here's just a few of the reasons why it's made such a profound imprint on me: * Steven Spielberg's Directing: Flawless, wonderful and perfectly paced. The craftmanship of a true genius and visionary. * The Special Effects: Monumental and groundbreaking for their time. Even now, almost 20 years later, they still stand firmly against contemporary CGI films. * John William's Music Score: Only surpassed by his soundtrack for the Star Wars movies, this is some of the finest, most goosebump-inducing work he's ever done. I still listen to its themes for inspiration, whenever I work on my own artistic projects. * The Cast: Every actor involved, even the youngest ones, does an applaud-worthy job in making the story fully believable. Their reactions and performances - impeccable without question.* The Story: One of the most exciting (and original at the time) to ever be put on screen. I loved the book by Michael Crichton, and in the hands of Spielberg, the story became even better. I could go on all day with this, but the point I'm trying to make here is that this is so much more than just a movie about dinosaurs running amok. That may be true for the sequels, but this first film in the trilogy is nothing short of pure Hollywood magic. A spellbinding adventure story, that moves, entertains and invites you to a world unlike anything you've ever seen. So when I say that this is one of my all-time favourite movies, I really mean that with every fibre in my being.
Jennifer X

May 29, 2007
Jurassic Park has recently gotten some attention as a femmes-gone-wild allegory (since all the dinosaurs are female, Dr. Sattler's famous line of "dinosaur eats man, women inherit the Earth," the whole "life finds a way" quip), and I definitely see it, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the most terrifying movies I have ever watched. I've seen this multiple times when I was young, and watching it again I remember the most random things - Jeff Goldblum being dug out of the hay, Nedry's digitized finger waving "unh, unh, unh!," the adorbs DNA video featuring cloned Richard Attenboroughs - the sheer immensity of the film has never worn off. This doesn't feel like mere popcorn entertainment.
Matheus C

September 25, 2011
Seeing it on the big screen 16 years afer its original release, one can see that after the big awe for the special effects have passed, it doesn't have much to offer above the level of "big dumb Hollywood spectacle". It definetly benefits from having Spielberg behind the camera with some incredibly effective action scenes, but it also has too much of the political correctness and family issue themes which would taint some of the director's work from the late 90s on. I can't deny it being great fun, but contrary to the Indiana Jones films, I couldn't care less if all the characters were fed to the creatures is one big dinosaur picnic.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 3, 2011
Jurassic Park is one of the greatest achievments in film history and one of Steven Spielbergs best. The story is great fun and just pure summer blockbuster experience that people enjoy just for the pure fun of discovery, and Spielberg knows what people want at the cinema. The cast is good, but not memorable or amazing, but they were not bad still. The special effects are incredible, no movie in history has interpreted dinosaurs so perfectly good, the scene with the long necked dinosaurs is a moment in history everyone remembers, I loved it. Jurassic Park is a incredible film that is just pure fun in every way, and it never gets old watching it.
Liam G

September 24, 2011
Blockbuster filmmaking at its finest. Superb direction, revolutionary special effects, likeable characters and very exciting and tense action scenes.
Raymond W

September 3, 2011
Steven Spielberg never fails to do the impossible, which at the time, most of the visual effects would have been. Jurassic Park is a spectacle of these effects which makes the creatures even scarier. The sustained sequences of tension and terror make this an edge of your seat ride from beginning to end.
Alexander D