—— The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Just Cause Reviews

Apeneck F

October 9, 2011
Go to any Walgreens across the nation and every month there's a new collection of mystery thrillers, usually by the same collection of authors, who churn out books like hamburgers: this film plays like those books read. A great cast and superior production values can't hide a factory produced script.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 6, 2009
Buried deep in the Florida Everglades is a secret that can save an innocent man or let a killer kill again.

Good movie. The movie didn't really surprise me that much and I have seen better but still I thought it was well made. It really seem like Sean Connery nail his part and Laurence Fishburne did allright too as a supporting actor.

The year is 1986. In Ochopee, Florida, 11-year-old Joanie Shriver is kidnapped, raped, and murdered. Bobby Earl Ferguson is arrested by officers Tanny Brown and J. T. Wilcox, who proceed to beat Bobby into confessing to the murder. Bobby is placed on trial, where Bobby's defense attorney McNair puts up a lousy defense for Bobby, and Bobby is sentenced to be executed. Now, eight years later, Bobby hands a letter to his grandmother Evangeline and asks Evangeline to go to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to hire Harvard law professor Paul Armstrong to clear Bobby's name. At Harvard, Paul is attacking capital punishment in a campus debate, when Evangeline arrives and hands the letter to Paul. Paul goes home, where his wife Laurie is throwing a birthday party for their young daughter Katey. Laurie reads the letter and she encourages Paul to take the case, even though he hasn't practiced law in 25 years. Paul, Laurie, and Katey head to Florida, where Paul meets Bobby in the prison. Bobby tells Paul his side of the story and what Tanny and Wilcox did. Paul begins to believe that Bobby was railroaded. Bobby tells Paul to speak to Blair Sullivan, a man who is also on death row. Blair gives Paul some clues that could prove Bobby's innocence and Blair's own guilt. But in the process of trying to clear Bobby, Paul learns some disturbing truths about Bobby, putting Paul and his family in a fight for their lives.
familiar s

February 21, 2011
Damn it, this was like "To Kill A Mockingbird" with the most predictable and silliest twisted ending. (Oops! I hope that ain't a spoiler. And if it is, I can only hope that you're not intelligent enough to predict it. But even a kid can tell that 2 + 2 = 4, and you don't need to be a genius for that. Anyway, if it did work as a spoiler for you, and thereby reduced the movie's entertainment value for you, I honestly plead your pardon.) But that wasn't good enough for them. So they put the characters through car chasing scenes followed by a fight. The fighting sequence only made it worse. Exactly as predicted, the character who is supposedly shot dead, returns in a typical filmy way at the nick of time to beat the villain.

I was expecting some unique and interesting courtroom drama, but I guess I was asking for too much. This movie was a big time disappointment for me. And if you haven't seen this movie as yet, I hope I've provided enough just causes that will lead you to the conclusion that you better avoid this Just Cause.

P.S.: The face of the sweet, young girl playing Katie Armstrong looked familiar, but I'd no idea whatsoever that it was Scarlett Johansson until I found it in the credits.
Al S

March 22, 2010
One of the best thrillers of the nineties decade that ranks with Seven and The Silence of the Lambs. A strong, brilliant and exhilarating physiological thriller. It's chilling, absorbing, razor-sharp and incredibly unpredictable. An intense, remarkable and adrenaline-pumping thrill-machine. A riveting all-star cast. Sean Connery and Laurence Fishburne are electrifying. Blair Underwood is terrific. Ed Harris is unforgettably chilling and riveting.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

September 21, 2008
Alright Kate Capshaw can't act obviously, but its Sean Connery Man and Morpheus, decent suspense drama.
A B

November 7, 2007
Reasonable thriller/courtroom drama.
Lady D

February 19, 2007
A gret story with some great twists. Although a very short role in this film, I thought a great performance by Ed Harris.

Certainly one of the better Sean Connery movies made and I always enjoy a performance by Laurence Fishburne.

VERDICT: Not mind blowing, but it's certainly worth a watch.
garyX
garyX

March 18, 2007
A by the numbers Hollywood thriller which entertains because of it's superior cast. The twists feel very contrived, and Ed Harris is almost funny as the inbred southern psycho (Hannibal Lecter is mercilessly ripped off) but it's silliness almost adds to the entertainment value.
deano
deano

August 29, 2006
Good thriller and surprised to see the first appearance of beauty actress Scarlett Johanssen in that movie.
Curt C

February 17, 2006
The characters have no depth and the story has no direction.
Anthony V

May 15, 2007
Starts out great, then take some improbably and unnecessary twists.
April 30, 2013
It's interesting for 30 minutes, infuriating for the next 40, and complete nonsense in the last 30. The ultimate plot, as it were, relies so much on guesswork, misplaced blame and thriller cliches that it leaves infinite questions. The plot for the first 2/3rds or so consists of dozens of scenes where Connery's trying to prove the guy's innocent by asking completely logical questions about the case, and everyone saying "Look, he just did it, OK?" before assaulting him. It's too thin to be convincing, especially in light of the ending, which pretends all the horrible things the Fishburne character does in the first half, and all the incompetent police work and eyewitness reporting involved in the case, never happened. It's almost worth seeing as a textbook example of how not to make a movie.
August 16, 2012
A Good solid thriller, with good chemistry among Sean Connery, Blair Underwood and Ed Harris characters.
March 6, 2012
"Just Cause" was one of those movies that was set up in such a perfect way, and had one of the worst follow-throughs. It's really disappointing to see movies suck when they have so much potential, but this film is one of the best examples of that.

It's been a while since I've seen this film, but from what I can remember, Sean Connery plays an author/lawyer who takes on a case of someone who is on death row and he attempts to prove that he is innocent, all while there are multiple things going on at the same time. The idea for it seems fine, like I said, it's just the execution.

As the movie gradually progresses, you begin to learn that there really is no real depth to anything. Each characters personality is predictable and contrived. The performances from Connery, Fishburne and Harris are all meh, and that really takes the positive element out of it. You start to get bored after a while, mainly because you don't feel any attachment to the characters.

The one main problem with "Just Cause" is that its been done a thousand times. It doesn't take any risks to set itself up as a unique thriller. It takes the easy way out, and for a premise like this, thats really not the way to go. Because the audience has seen this type of film a thousand times, they see the ending coming from a mile away. It's the predictability that ruins it. The Glincher siblings played it safe, and for a film like this, it was the wrong play to make.
Rylor
March 10, 2009
Half way through the movie ever character did a complete 180, and I didn't care about any of them anymore.
January 26, 2009
Very interesting and I had never heard of it but quickly plucked it from the shelves of the rentalstore... Good thing I did. The cast didn't let me down at all.
November 5, 2007
I don't remember enjoying this movie at all while watching it. It had a good plot but it was just a badly made movie.
crossfire9112000
August 11, 2007
Has LOT's of twist and turns in it but just enough to keep you glued! Who did its are always killer!
June 30, 2007
The first time I watched this movie I was on the edge of my seat, in complete suspense! Love it! And Sean Connery is GREAT!!!
MovieGuruDude72
April 21, 2007
Got blasted for being cliche, but is still one of the best 1-2 acting punches in movie history. Connery and Fishburne have great chemistry.