Just Wright - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Just Wright Reviews

½ April 18, 2010
Queen Latifah is fine as always but Common is a dull blank and the story trite.
½ September 16, 2010
Enjoyable, but one of those abrupt endings that I hate.
January 25, 2011
Pretty standard romance movie. The acting isn't great,but i've seen worse. I usually don't like queen latifah,but she was decent here.
April 8, 2010
Cast: Queen Latifah, Common, Paula Patton, James Pickens Jr., Phylicia Rashad, Pam Grier, Laz Alonso, Mehcad Brooks, Michael Landes, Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade

Director: Sanaa Hamri

Summary: Good-hearted physical therapist Leslie Wright (Queen Latifah) is looking for romance but keeps finding duds until she meets professional basketball player Scott McKnight (Common). When Scott suffers a major injury, it's up to Leslie to save his career. Leslie and Scott become close as they work together, but Leslie's beautiful, gold-digging childhood chum -- who is also Scott's estranged girlfriend -- threatens their relationship.

My Thoughts: "I couldn't help but like this. I love the Queen. The film has many cliche's and is as predictable as the next romantic comedy film. But who cares. As long as the acting is good and the story is decent then it's an enjoyable watch for me. Of course there will be those who will dislike it, but if your a fan of these types of flicks it will probably be to your liking."
Movie Monster
October 24, 2010
Its sweet, funny, and watchable. The two leads are great together. But this is the typical, predictable, boy-meets-girl romcom with cliches. Apart from that, its a highly reccomended pick if you are having a date night.

"I'm not one of those salad-eating chicks."
½ September 19, 2010
Just Wright is a mess of a romantic comedy where the biggest star in the NBA Scott McKnight (Common) ends up inadvertently meeting physical therapist Leslie Wright (Queen Latifah) leading to McKnight to fall in love with... Wrights God-sister Morgan (Paula Patton). They are in love and get engaged. Then it hits. Scott's knee is screwed. He's laid up and Leslie becomes his physical therapist while Morgan dumps him because she really wants to land a superstar NBA player. I don't need to continue the rest of the plot because the rest of the film is cliche central.

Just Wright tries to be more than a romantic comedy by weighing it heavily with the basketball plot. I think they figured that guys would scream "Hey! It's Marv Albert!" when he's on screen (of course I thought "Hey, there's the guy that bites hookers!") It fails unless you're a hardcore NBA fan. Otherwise it opens well enough and then falls into the standard fold of fall in love, misunderstanding, redemption. You've seen it all before and you'll see it again.
½ September 17, 2010
2 star romantic dramedy, .5 extra stars for plot centering around the NBA, even though it's about a fictional New Jersey Nets' player. I was disappointed that Jay-Z was not in this milk dud, no Russians either. Queen Latifah is a pretty good actress, Common still is awful but it was probably his least awful performance in a movie, nevertheless he still manages to be awful. Dwyane Wade, Dwight Howard, and Elton Brand get a few scenes of dialogue. Where the heck is Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki? Would have given this movie bonus stars like it did with the Lil Bow Wow basketball flick.
May 10, 2010
It's the best romantic comedy I've seen in a long, long time. I was very hesitant on watching this film due to the fact that the romantic comedies nowadays are very poor, however, I was way off. I really enjoyed Just Wright. It was clever, funny, and touching. It shows what true love really is, and not just something you have to buy. This is a great film!
½ August 23, 2010
A little bit different than what I was expecting. This didn't really seem like a romantic comedy, in fact it was very heavy on the drama in some scenes. I guess this is a good relationship movie but not really my cup of tea. The writing was pretty bad too and there were times where scenes were difficult to watch because of it.
½ July 30, 2010
Pretty good flick! Every basketball movie with talented actors is a plus for me. There wasn't any comedy for me or notable acting portrayals but the story was good and I enjoy it alot.

Leslie Wright is a straight-shooting physical therapist who gets the gig of a lifetime working with NBA All-Star Scott McKnight. All is going well until Leslie finds herself falling for Scott, forcing her to choose between the gig and the tug-of-war inside her heart. Oblivious to her romantic overtures, McKnight is instead drawn to the affections of Leslie's childhood friend Morgan, who has her sights set on being an NBA trophy wife. Is Leslie destined to play the role of "best friend" forever or will Scott finally see that what he always wanted is right in front of him?
July 10, 2010
I thought this was going to be horrible but I was wrong. I'm not saying it's a great movie because it's not. it's okay but it's boring in a lot of parts but it has good moments. C
June 7, 2010
In "Just Wright," Leslie Wright(Queen Latifah) is a physical therapist who shares a fixer-upper with her godsister Morgan(Paula Patton) who is between jobs while searching for a wealthy husband. Unlucky in love, Leslie is lucky when it comes to her beloved New Jersey Nets who are consistently winning. During a chance meeting with the Nets star player Scott McKnight(Common), she scores an invitation to his birthday party.

Although achingly predictable, "Just Wright" manages to achieve watchable status with its pleasing and intelligent dissection of what makes a woman truly beautiful(Leslie is almost the archetypical earth mother), as a woman's truest wish might be her dream job, not necessarily her dream man.(Admittedly there is a bit of an ethical dilemma for Leslie late in the film that is never addressed.) Also explored with a fine touch is the life of a professional athlete which the movie keeps grounded. And it is refreshingly not that concerned with winning and losing. If one wanted to be picky, one could point that it is not currently that realistic to have the Nets and the playoffs in the same sentence or could wonder what Leslie will do in a few years when the Nets move to Brooklyn. Still, it is not as bad as the hero of "Flash Gordon"(1980) being a Jets quarterback.
July 22, 2010
Queen Latifah shines in Just Wright! It's a story about a down-to-earth physical therapist who can't seem to fall in love because every guy thinks she's the perfect home-girl. Meanwhile, her beautiful gold-digger best friend's advice is not to show her "true self" until at least after five years of marriage. At a chance encounter at a gas station, Leslie meets her dream guy who just so happens to be a famous basketball player and also her best friend's dream guy but for less than honorable reasons. (Her deepest desire is to be an NBA trophy wife.) As expected, she turns on the charm and steals him from Leslie. The rest of the movie is about McKnight coming to realize that she's only after the fame and money but not his heart. It was a really sweet movie and my husband and I enjoyed it. There was one sex scene but it didn't show anything which is good. Worth a watch.
½ April 22, 2010
Passable basketball movie with a formulaic concept and a handful of good laughs.

The entire movie though it was bothering me that not only is Scott McKnight considered better than Dwayne Wade, the Nets also made it to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals without him. Not really a quip with the movie though since thats just the basketball fan in me talking.
January 2, 2011
Queen Latifah plays Leslie Wright, a physical therapist and Basketball fan who is tired of being the girl that guys want to hang out with but not be with. She lives with her beautiful Godsister, Morgan, who wants to be an NBA trophy wife and live out the rest of her days shopping, dining, and looking good for photographers. After attending a Nets game, Leslie has a chance encounter with the Nets star player, Scott McKnight (Common), who seems to like her. He even invites her to his birthday party. All prospects of starting a relationship are seemingly shot when Morgan tags along; and of course McKnight is immediately attracted to Morgan.

After a whirlwind romance the two get engaged. All seems to be going to Morgan's plan until McKnight suffers a possibly career ending injury. Imagining that her multi-millionaire NBA star fiancÚ will somehow become penniless because of this, Morgan decides to leave him. And Leslie is the only one who can fix him nursing him back to health with a Rocky style training montage. Queen Latifah's Leslie is a lovely woman - strong, independent, funny, kind, warm and caring and it is really hard not to like her. Of course this film will make you go all mushy in the end, but what do you expect? It's a romantic comedy.
½ November 4, 2010
I wanted to like this because I love Queen Latifah, and the story was good, but it just didn't play out like it could have. Also, Common is a pretty terrible actor.
½ April 10, 2010
A charismatic movie directed by Sanaa Hamri that follows a physical therapist searching for love, and finds it with a professional basketball player. Scott McKnight has a thriving career, a loving mom, great friends, and a devoted agent. He meets Leslie Wright, and the two have similar interests. This connection is interrupted when he meets Morgan, Leslie's beautiful room-mate and childhood friend. The two embark on a swift relationship, and Leslie decides to move onto new ventures. Until he suffers an injury that could affect his career, Leslie is asked to help out and the connection between the two resurfaces.
Great song- "Champion" by Queen Latifah.
Great cast- Queen Latifah, Common, Paula Patton, Phylicia Rashad, Pam Grier, James Pickens Jr., Michael Landes, and Mehcad Brooks. Worthy!
March 16, 2010
Cliche and predictable but I enjoyed it. Pretty good cast and I always like Queen Latifah's characters.
April 15, 2010
Just Wright was the latest romantic comedy starring Queen Latifah, and it was not that bad considering some of the awful work she had done in the past. This was sweet and charming, with a decent enough story to make it worth watching. Off course it was a chick flick movie, but not bad to be enjoyable enough for men as well. The entire story was told out from the very beginning, and there was no depth to the characters and situations.
I enjoyed Queen Latifah and the rapper Common was very enjoyable too. The slim vs.fat was not an issue here, and he did not care for her weight, but for her soul. Although there was almost nothing new in Just Wright, it was funny at times.
½ May 22, 2010
The title says it all. A romantic comedy done "Just Wright".