The Kennel Murder Case - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kennel Murder Case Reviews

½ August 6, 2007
Creaky mystery but Powell is suave and efficient as always.
September 3, 2010
Before the Thin Man, Powell played Philo Vance, detective. He has charm and humour in this movie as well. This movie is fun and exciting for a movie involving a dog.
July 31, 2010
Although William Powell is always a class-act, his Philo Vance seems to be Nick Charles, without as much fun. He's a detective trying to piece together a string of murders related to a dog show. I had a little bit of a difficult time keeping up, because so many of the actors looked alike. I kept getting confused on who was who. It's a good little film, but definitely not one of his best.
½ July 8, 2010
This was something I checked out because of William Powell's involvement, and while there's nothing wrong with the film, I suppose I was expecting something more in the vein of The Thin Man series, where this is played mainly straight.

Still, it's an enjoyable mystery, well worth a look.
½ September 5, 2008
Don't think for a moment that because this has William Powell in it that it is going to be good.

I think what annoyed me the most about this mystery was that there was no real investigation. Powell's character would walk into a room and instantly know just where the clues would be. If there had been a hidden safe, he would have instantly found it.

I don't mind having a character who is a little more on top of things than the others in mysteries, but it's not so fun when it appears that they have already read the script and just have to hurry through the motions to make the mystery solving look official.
June 13, 2007
A clever and witty mystery film with comedic touches, in the same tradition as Powell's own "Thin Man" series. The mystery itself takes several unexpectd twists and turns during the investigation that, along with entertaining performances from leads, keep the viewer watching. A must for mystery buffs!
½ March 18, 2015
This dogs been struck a nasty blow

On a weird night, a dog is mysteriously released from a kennel and murdered in the alley. Later that night, it appears a police officer committed suicide. A detective strongly believes things are not as they appear. As he digs deep, he finds some skeletons in the closet.

"I would have killed him."
"Well, did you?"
"That's your problem."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Four's A Crowd, delivers The Kennel Murder Case. The storyline for this picture is unique and contains some interesting elements. The acting is a little cheesy but entertaining. The cast includes William Powell, Mary Astor, Eugene Pallette, and Ralph Morgan.

"He wants to see you."
"I don't want to see him. Tell him I said so."

I grabbed this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it seemed like a cool thriller that they aired in October; that, and I adore Michael Curtiz movies. This movie has a cool vibe and good tempo. This isn't Curtiz's best film, but the detective is well written and portrayed. I found this film entertaining and worth a viewing.

"This bedlam is getting on my nerves."

Grade: B-
March 11, 2014
A really good whodunit. I just wish there were more scenes with Mary Astor.
February 27, 2013
Powell's Philo Vance is a lot like his later, more famous Nick "The Tin Man" Charles, but something is missing. I think it's Myrna Loy.
July 10, 2012
The Kennel Murder Case is another entertaining film. It is about Philo Vance who investigates the locked-room murder of a prominent and much-hated collector whose broken Chinese vase provides an important clue. William Powell and Mary Astor give amazing performances. The screenplay is good but drags a little in some places. Michael Curtiz still did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. The Kennel Murder Club is a must see.
November 25, 2007
7.5/10. Probably the best of the Philo Vance films, William Powell is ideal for the role and does his usual excellent job. This is a great murder mystery, wonderful cast and its always interesting and very entertaining. Eugen e Pallette is a stand out in a supporting role.
April 5, 2004