The Keys of the Kingdom Reviews

½ June 29, 2011
Young Scottish priest Peck goes overseas to convert the people of China to Catholicism ... disagreeing with Church authority types about the so-called heathen status of those "inscrutables": he thinks of them as human beings! This bit of Hollywood liberal radicalism from the 40's got Peck his first Oscar for his portrayal of quiet dignified humility in the face of a world that doesn't care. Gwenn, Mitchell and Price do typically well in the supporting roles. A nice afternoon show.
½ September 5, 2010
This movie has a good story, but it is too long, and we don't get to see Vincent Price enough, which is one of the reasons I wanted to see the movie. It could have been better if the story was shorter and a little more exciting.
jjnxn
½ March 30, 2010
Nice story of a man of great faith and his journey in the face of much opposition on the path that he feels is the right one even as others try and fight him. Gregory Peck, whose innate dignity was one of his strongest assets, is perfect in the lead and he is surrounded by a wonderful cast, the kind that was only available during the studio system days.
November 15, 2013
Peck is wonderful as a priest in the midst of difficult places and times. The "China" story and the "youngsters" story both serve to bring out new elements in Peck's character.
½ October 5, 2013
With the help of an Oscar nomination, Gregory Peck becamea major star after appearing in Fox's religious bio-epic, in which he plays the heroic Scottish priest, Father Francis Chisholm. this was one of my mom's fave movies and one reason why i was named after mr peck.
½ July 5, 2010
Good missionary-priest story takes place in China....I like Gregory Peck in these roles, he's perfect!
½ January 25, 2010
Wonderful production, superb art direction, very good cinematography and score. Top notch. The cast is excellent, especially Gregory Peck. Fine supporting cast too. Interesting story, very professionally done. It's a bit too long, but otherwisr it's a fine classic.
½ April 9, 2008
excellent story of tolerance and how one man and his simple life can so profoundly affect the lives of others around him. an earnest, heart-warming film with a protagonist that serves as a model of faith in the human soul. Gregory Peck just shines. an outstanding movie from just about every angle.
November 21, 2014
This film made it clear Peck would be a star. Yes it does not age perfectly, but I challenge you not to shed a tear and feel inspired.
November 11, 2012
I thought it was one of the best and most touching movies I've ever seen. Gregory Peck was outstanding. I fell in love with him, as always!!
December 11, 2010
At 78 I have seen this movie many times and join the millions of viewers that have enjoyed it. Why no critics' rating of this classic? Com' on man!
July 14, 2010
Keys of the Kingdom is an amazing film. Gregory Peck gave an amazing performances. The screenplay was amazing and well written. John M. Stahl did a great job directing this movie. I loved this movie because of the characters. Keys of the Kingdom is a must see.
June 6, 2010
Great acting and great plot.
½ January 25, 2010
Wonderful production, superb art direction, very good cinematography and score. Top notch. The cast is excellent, especially Gregory Peck. Fine supporting cast too. Interesting story, very professionally done. It's a bit too long, but otherwise it's a fine classic.
May 29, 2007
Gregory Peck is superb in only his second film; but, as in [i]The Yearling[/i], there's some laughably bad acting all around him. The direction is a little awkward at times, too.

The film is entertaining, though, and it has some hilarious lines. It's alright.