Kick-Ass 2 Reviews

August 9, 2014
Everything good about the original is missing from this mess.
½ January 1, 2014
This one really kicked it hard to be a PITA to get through the first hour. The first hour is extremely pathetic. After that, it becomes tolerable. I liked Chloe Grace in the first part, but here she's disappointing. Then again, the movie hardly had any credible performances. Maybe the poor script limited the scope. At least it must be responsible for no sequel ahead.
½ December 12, 2013
I loved the first "Kick Ass" and was pretty stoked for the sequel until I read reviews. The reviews were pretty bad, so I decided not to see it in the theater. I'm glad I didn't shell out the 10 bucks(plus another 15 for snacks), but this isn't nearly as bad as a lot of critics claim it to be. If you enjoyed the first one, then this gives you more of what you want and would expect from this franchise. Everyone is back(except Nicolas Cage for obvious reasons), and now Red Mist as become the MotherF***er and is assembling an army to take out Kick Ass(Aaron Taylor-Johnson). Kick Ass joins a group of heroes and tries to recruit Hit Girl(Chloe Grace Moretz), but she wants to leave the life of crime fighting.. It all comes together in one big epic brawl. This has more action, violence, and young girl cussing that the first movie. Also, Jim Carrey has a bit role and is amazing. This is his best work in the last few years by far. He adds a lot to the movie for the 15-20 minutes he is in it. Is this better than number 1? No, but it's still a worthy sequel. I liked it, and I'm sure most true fans will too.
MANUGINO
½ February 23, 2013
You Can't Fight Your Destiny.

Great Action Comedy Movie! Kick-Ass 2 is full of intense action and hilarious comedy, it is one of the best mixes and on par with other action-comedy films such as Hot Fuzz, 21 Jump Street and Tropic Thunder! From the variety of super heroes brought together by Jim Carrey's Captain Stars & Stripes to the frequent obscenities from 15-year old HitnGirl, Kick-Ass is an enjoyable film for fans of comedy, action and the superhero films! A graphic yet hilarious adventure. Stay thru the credits!!! There's a bonus scene at the end that you will get a kick out

After Kick-Ass' insane bravery inspires a new wave of self-made masked crusaders, led by the badass Colonel Stars and Stripes, our hero joins them on patrol. When these amateur superheroes are hunted down by Red Mist -- reborn as The Mother F%&*^r -- only the blade-wielding Hit Girl can prevent their annihilation. When we last saw junior assassin Hit Girl and young vigilante Kick-Ass, they were trying to live as normal teenagers Mindy and Dave. With graduation looming and uncertain what to do, Dave decides to start the world's first superhero team with Mindy. Unfortunately, when Mindy is busted for sneaking out as Hit Girl, she's forced to retire-leaving her to navigate the terrifying world of high-school mean girls on her own. With no one left to turn to, Dave joins forces with Justice Forever, run by a born-again ex-mobster named Colonel Stars and Stripes. Just as they start to make a real difference on the streets, the world's first super villain, The Mother F%&*^r, assembles his own evil league and puts a plan in motion to make Kick-Ass and Hit Girl pay for what they did to his dad. But there's only one problem with his scheme: If you mess with one member of Justice Forever, you mess with them all.
YodaMasterJedi
October 17, 2013
three stars
thmtsang
½ October 6, 2013
Hit girl tries to lead a normal life but has to join the first superhero team to defeat Red Mist. Violent movie.
Nate Z.
September 17, 2013
It's hard for me to discuss Kick-Ass 2 without sounding like a hypocrite. I enjoyed the first film's visceral films, style, and satire of superhero tropes. The sequel gives me more of the same except not nearly as well polished, and in typical sequel mentality, it goes bigger, expanding the world and the height of the sick puppy violence. Kick-Ass (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and Hit Girl (Chloe Grace-Moritz) are trying to live ordinary lives but keep feeling the need to don their suits and fight crime. Kick-Ass joins a ragtag team of other costumed vigilantes to battle a super villain team, lead by the former Red Mist (Christopher Mintz-Plasse). For long stretches, the movie seems like an unwanted Heathers knockoff as Hit Girl attempts to fit in at high school. She has some particularly nasty vengeance against a popular bully, and if there is a line, it may have been crossed here. I don't know what it says about me, but I guess I'm fine with a pint-sized kid slicing up bad guys and cursing like a sailor, but making a woman simultaneously vomit and defecate herself, watching both projectile streams spray out her ends, is too much for me. This is a darker, cruel, and mean-spirited feel with the material, and writer/director Jeff Wadlow fails to compensate for the lack of creativity this go-round (I miss you Matthew Vaughn). The humor is still lively, but the plot is predictable at every step, the characters behave in ways that don't make sense, and the action sequences are poorly filmed, leading to an anticlimactic ending that simply peters out. Kick-Ass 2 won't be knocking anyone out.

Nate's Grade: C+
½ September 3, 2013
I'm gonna call all the characters in this film by their superhero names to make things easier for myself...so there. The whole plot notion about ordinary people taking to the streets as superheroes dressed in their daft looking homemade outfits just seems like a huge rip of the film 'Mystery Men'. I mentioned this in my 'Kick-Ass' review but this sequel takes the copying one step further with the incorporation of regular everyday citizens all getting dressed up stupidly, virtually identical. All that was missing was a recruitment montage accompanied by a fun music track.

Oh and that's the plot by the way, bunch of dweebs dressing up as superheroes to combat the new supervillain in town 'The Motherfucker'. He's the son of the main villain from the first film, so nothing special plot wise folks, its revenge on revenge.

So 'Hit-girl' is in high school being a regular kid, how does she manage to afford or keep a big secret training base chock full of weapons? I'm guessing all that stuff and the hideout was passed down from 'Big Daddy' right?. Oh wait she has her own top line motorbike too...errrr she has more money than me.

Anyway as the film kicks off why does Hit-girl treat 'Kick-Ass' like a newbie at the start? she knows he is in the game from the first film, so why does he have to beg to be her sidekick?. They should be working together in this film from the start, or she should have at least accepted him without the begging...he was Kick-Ass!.

I like how everybody is text, tweeting and using Facebook throughout, taking the piss out of modern day society and obsessions that younger folk utilize (well modern day multimedia obsessions in general). The Motherfucker robs his first general store and shoots it up, he's on an evil high...he then pauses and says to himself 'I gotta tweet about this'. Plus the fact he has tonnes of followers on Facebook is amusing, Facebook rules the world people. I also quite liked the numerous comic book character plugs throughout and the usage of lots of predictable stereotypical superhero names that at the same time are racist for the characters given them...in this modern PC era.

I also liked the mockery of young teenage girls, their pink princess-like attitudes and taste in all things sparkly...'Twilight', Channing Tatum, Union J etc...seen this kind of thing before, very cliched but well done. Nothing better than some bitchy, catty, spoilt princesses in tight clothes hehe. Ironically of course the leader of these brats doesn't look half as attractive as Hit-Girl who is undeniably cute, but her two sidekicks were pretty cute too. In fact there is waaaaay too much underage cuteness going on here, this film is dangerous! I need a cold shower.

I understand where the plot was going taking Hit-girl out of the main action and sticking her in high school battling girly bitches but the film suffers for it. We never really see much of Hit-girl and I found myself yearning for her kickassery. Most of the hero characters are pretty lame really (look lame too but I guess that was the idea) and they needed Hit-girl in the team to boost it. The film is only good with Kick-Ass and Hit-girl, 'Colonel Stars and Stripes' is the only other character that works. Although I liked 'Night-Bitch' purely for sexual reasons, yes I said it, sexual reasons only, am I alone here??.

The film is mega violent but it doesn't feel as satisfying or adult as the first. The first felt quite graphic and brutal whilst this felt more cartoony and dumb. The villain characters were just horrible and stupid looking, they actually looked like something out of a kids fantasy flick or childish comedy...but they killed people. 'Mother Russia' 'The Tumor' 'Genghis Carnage' and 'Black Death', they all looked ridiculous and out of place. Then you have The Motherfucker who is actually wearing a costume of bondage/S&M gear, now that's fine on a sexy female character, but on a young teenage boy it just looks kinda disturbing.

All the action simply felt very average and too silly, the finale just seemed like a 'Braveheart/West Side Story' moment for a whole load of comic con nerds in silly outfits. The demise of The Motherfucker I think anyone could see coming a mile away...plus it was lame and we saw nothing. Another example is the van sequence where Hit-Girl is trying to save Kick-Ass which is pretty darn terrible frankly, terrible bluescreen effects, obvious stunt double and utterly implausible. How the hell can the bad guys manage to miss her so often at near point blank range when she has nowhere to go!!. Example B would be Mother Russia taking out a stream of cops in a suburban area...its just crap looking, end of. The gritty edge has been lost here, too over the top.

Just a few things stuck out in my mind. The Motherfucker kills his mum accidentally in one scene, then the next scene he and his mums bodyguard (Leguizamo) are going through her stuff and chatting as if its no big deal, no follow up on it at all!. When the bitchy high school girls and jocks ditch Hit-Girl why do they do it in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere? seemed rather obscure. Of course acting isn't great either but do you really expect that in a film like this??, actually Moretz is a pretty bad actress from what I've seen here, but I guess she's young.

In its entirety this film is a lesser version of the original, lots of bad gags, childish moments of toilet humour, bad looking violence, average looking fights and action and none of that decent ironic dark humour from the first. In fact I think there is too much humour in this, too many attempts at trying to be clever with silly lines and puns, and unfortunately there is too much high school nonsense making it actually feel at times like a high school teen angst flick....with a liberal splattering of blood. This film has failed to recapture the essence of the first film I'm afraid.
½ August 25, 2013
I had high hopes for Kick-Ass 2, but I was let down. The movie wasn't awful by any means, but it lacked originality. It brought nothing new to the table, and if anything...only got more bland from the first movie. One thing that did get get better from the first were the fight scenes. Impressive to say the least!
August 25, 2013
By failing to put together some idiotic slapstick humor and the graphic violence that marked the first film, the result is an irregular sequel that, even if sometimes exciting and able to make you laugh, is unnecessary and never on a par with the excellence of that movie.
TomBowler
½ August 24, 2013
The mythology is sound but without Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman at the helm that original spark is mostly missing. Full review later.
August 21, 2013
More on the dream"what if I could be a superhero like in the comic books?" with Kick Ass joining the ranks of others similarly inclined, while Hit Girl suffers the pain and humiliation that is high school. Its friendly enough and yet lacks the punch of the first as the villain leaves only a" meh" impression. Weak villain, weak story appeal. Hit Girl still has promise of something more. ..
July 10, 2013
Its predecessor showed alarming signs of identity crisis, but followed through in the end. This sequel looks completely lost: subversive superhero satire or actual superhero movie?
TheDudeLebowski65
½ August 19, 2013
Sequel to Kick Ass is an average move that leaves a lot to be desired. I did enjoy the film, but felt that it could have been much better than what we got. There are things here that work well enough, and it is a worthwhile sequel, but it's not on the same caliber as the two Nolan sequels to Batman Begins. Nonetheless, the film is good, but they could have done so much better. If you're going into this one expecting a great sequel, you'll sadly be disappointed. With this follow up, they tried to do something different, but it does leave room for improvement. Despite its flaws, Kick Ass 2 is funny and entertaining, but is nowhere near as good as the original. The cast here doe a good job with the material, if only Matthew Vaughn would have returned to direct the film, maybe the film would have been a standout sequel. As it is, Kick Ass 2 is good, but does falls short of what it could have been. Luckily the cast of varied talent make this worth seeing, and it is an entertaining film from start to finish, just go into this one with an open mind so you don't end up being disappointed. This is an amusing ride, but like I said, it needed a few rewrites to really make it a sequel that lived up to the original. The flaws are apparent, but there is enough good content here to make it an entertaining film to watch. Kick Ass 2 is flawed, but is far better than Red2. Although far from perfect, this is a sequel that is far better than most follow ups that I have seen.
Dr114
½ August 16, 2013
A sequel that lives up to its title. A ton of fun at the movies.
skactopus
August 18, 2013
Jeff Wadlow doesn't hold back on the violence in Kick-Ass 2. Well, maybe the shark.Picking off right where its predecessor leaves off, the 100+ minute story behind this film is over the top and amusing as its title suggests. In a way, some of the plot details, which should come across as another teen flick are shrouded in the dark atmosphere of wanna be heroes and this is where the story delivers its unique flavor.The R-rated material is bloody and ferociously cruel. In other words, pure entertainment. What is usually cringe-worthy in other films, comes across as the much awaited pieces of this picture.Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse need no introductions at this point; reviving their previous roles without fail. Jim Carrey fills in the gaps as needed.Kick-Ass 2 has all the pizazz of a comic book come to life. Put on a mask and go see it.
½ September 15, 2012
Most of the second half feels like the sequel it should be, but ''Kick-Ass 2'' is rushed, poorly edited and has barely any of the heart the first had.