Kid Blue Reviews

August 7, 2011
Bickford: ''I aint got no gun, I aint got no wife, all I've got is a bed and board, and a job. And I'm tryin' to be as good a citizen as I can.''
Sheriff: ''Well now, that's the kinda story I like to hear, tell me that every time I ask ya and I wont havta shoot ya.''
Kid Blue is one interesting western film. We've got The Kid himself trying to fend for his own in town after leaving his outlandishly con-life as a train robber. But things are pretty difficult in town, hard work takes place, and trying to fit in - but let us just say he runs into a bit of variables... or say, some trouble with the ol townsfolk and it's just not so easy. Will The Kid fit in and live a normal life? Or will he lead back to his old ways?
Well, this film is indefinitely a fun, entertaining flick. With some pretty cool characters, and decent performances. The story is quite interesting and it kept me entertained all the way through with its absurd and odd occurrences, but it's all good. Pretty funny at times as well. I basically enjoyed it, and it is all good fun. It's watchable, and it is definitely worth checking out if you have the chance!
March 25, 2015
A very humble movie about an outlaw played by Dennis Hopper who gets a job and tries to play it straight, but the sheriff gives him a hard time. I really liked watching Hopper act in this one. It's simple, but sweet. One thing that stands out, he makes a friend at town but his wife turns out to be pretty crazy and causes some interesting drama. It's cute but scary at the same time because there are plenty of people who like to play mind games like that.
½ February 19, 2011
Unglaublich unterhaltsamer Western mit Dennis Hopper in der Hauptrolle, hat sehr viel Spaß gemacht.
knappe 3,5/5
½ September 22, 2007
Hopper carries over some of his Easy Rider theatrics into this film about an unsuccessful train robber having a go at going straight.

He plays a likable character that meanders through the movie getting into mischief here and there while the a-hole sheriff (Ben Johnson) dogs him and anyone else he just does not feel "smells right". Peter Boyle is good as the crazy preacher that also wants to fly in his home made flying machine.

In Easy Rider fashion, Hopper has scenes that preach to the audience about his thoughts on civilization and society. Now days, these come off as very lame, but I'm sure at the time in 1973, people were nodding their heads and saying "man, he is right on dude."

Not a bad western and entertaining with only a few slow spots, but not a great movie. If you like light hearted westerns and Dennis Hopper, you'll enjoy this film.
½ June 29, 2005
Too bad they don't make westerns like this anymore. A charming and fun film to watch. Intelligent and creative. Story about a half-assed criminal who wants to go straight, but finds the going difficult because he "looks" like a bad person (a naughty person, or somebody up to "no good"). So not only is his luck bad at robbing trains, but living life presents obtacles he can only laugh at because the obstacles appear to be so unfair. The film is a realistic look at how life is for some folks. Hopper is great, as is the rest of the supporting cast. And got to like that woman's hair.
May 21, 2005
It's taken me a long time to warm to the western. For the longest time, I just never bothered watching westerns, figuring that they were all the same, what with cowboys and horses and bank robberies and such. I even avoided films that were deemed genuine classics, like [i]Once Upon a Time in the West[/i] and [i]Rio Bravo[/i]. I can't really even remember why, and the idea of dismissing an entire genre, especially one that so obviously inspired one of my favorite genres (the post-apocalypse film), seems kinda sad to me now.

[i]Kid Blue[/i] is has some of the typical traits of the early-'70s western. It's a studio film, directed by future [i]Muppet Movie[/i] helmer James Frawley, but it's all about an outlaw (Dennis Hopper) who, after attempting to turn straight, gives up and goes back to his thieving ways. The fact that his story is presented heroicly is clearly inspired by the success of [i]Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid[/i] and [i]Bonnie and Clyde[/i], two films that made the bad guys the ones to root for.

The beginning of the film has Bick, known to wanted posters as "Kid Blue," reaching a turning point after a botched train robbery. He decides to call the life-on-the-run quits and settles in the town of Dimebox, a small town kept alive by a factory that makes ashtrays. His job sweeping up hair and emptying spitoons for barber M. Emmet Walsh doesn't work out, nor does his job lopping the heads off of chickens, but he manages to get work at the factory, thanks to his friendship with local man Reese (Warren Oates).

His relationship with Reese is, it had to be said, a little weird. Reese instantly takes a liking to him, and invites him to into his life and the life of his wife Molly (Lee Purcell). Reese keeps talking about how the Greeks did things, and at one point he and Bick even take a bath together. Meanwhile, Molly has designs on Bick, and when she finds out about his outlaw past, they make things even hotter.

Bick also gets involved with a trio of Indians that have recently discovered God, thanks to the words of crackpot Preacher Bob (Peter Boyle) who spends his spare time working on an "Aerial-Cycle" when not getting into ruckuses about the proper place to perform baptisms. The sheriff (Ben Johnson) wanders around a lot, looks mean and calls everyone else "boy," but generally doesn't do much but threaten.

It's likeable stuff, and in more subversive hands this could have been a great film, but Frawley keeps the heat on medium, content to let us simply watch these pleasant-enough characters interact without serving up much in the way of conflict. It's got it's share of funny moments, like the older Indian explaining why you shouldn't eat cow shit, but [i]Kid Blue[/i] is really more light than comedic, and while it's always watchable, it's never anything more than that.

Still, the cast is great and Hopper makes a fine lead, even if his character is more quiet and pitiable than anything else, and there are some interesting industrial-revolution-in-the-old-west themes. It's a decent, but ultimately forgettable little western, which may explain why it's never been released to video. Worth a look if you happen to stumble across it on late-night TV, though.