—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Killers from Space Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is a silly low budget, and easily made fun of, sci-fi movie. The story could be good, but the style, the aliens, and the special effects drag this movie down.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 15, 2008
I remember this movie being on Chiller Theather on WPIX or WOR out of NY when I was growing up, it was actually one of the few that played a few times. Think I would have named it Dudes with Big Eyes (Thought Dudes wasn't said much back then). I found it in the Mill Creek SciFi Classics 50 pack, excellent footage of older aircraft and the testing of the A-Bomb, wonder how all those people who actually sat in chairs to watch this firery Explosion made out. Anyway sit back, and enjoy and relive the days of Chiller Theather.
SaginTheWolf
December 16, 2007
Another 'Film Crew' title that breathes real life and enjoyment into this Peter Graves sci-fi movie. Beware the ping-pong ball eyes!
October 7, 2007
Perhaps it's unfair to really review this movie. I watched the Film Crew commentary on this film and their job is to pain movies for the length of the film. The film crew review of this movie? Five out of five stars! Very funny. But the movie itself? Well, it really deserves to be panned. I don't know how these kinds of movies were made. Who would go see a movie that would bore me to tears if it didn't have a commentary? (Even as good as the commentary was, I was still bored by the film itself!) It just seemed like at one point in Hollywood, quality was completely optional. Yet people watch these films today. (Working at a hip indie video store, you can recognize the customers who tend to head over to the Something Weird video section immediately.) Perhaps it's the kitsch value or something, but I just couldn't imagine liking this movie for anything.
August 22, 2007
AHHHHHHHHHHH! OH MY GOD THE PAIN! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP! O_O One of the most BORING films I've ever seen. Even The Film Crew (aka MST3K Pt. II) couldn't save this enough. Oh my God. Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow. I nearly went madly hysterical like I did the first time I saw Sayonara Jupiter...
August 28, 2011
Creepy aliens resurrect a scientist so he can spy for them. One of those dull sci-fi movies that are a times ridiculous; the aliens in this film have ping pong balls for eyes.
Adawg J.
January 9, 2013
Very cheesy sci fi b movie. interesting creativity of the aliens though
March 11, 2012
Overall a goofy looking sci-fi flick with silly costumes and a horrid plot. It's slow, mindless, and isn't too entertaining. The ending felt shallow .
Jack Pearl
October 22, 2010
Killers from Space
Rarely in the annals of cinema has there been anything as pathetic as Killers from Space. Not immoral, not queaze inducing, just pathetic. There is not a single bit of acting that is not wooden, not a single display of real emotion, not a single line of dialogue that shows anything approaching wit or intelligence, and not a single scene that develops any tension.
There is not a single special effects shot that is done convincingly, whether it's the toy airplane against stock footage of a nuclear test, or the endless series of forced-perspective shots of lizards and beetles made to look like giants. And don't even get me started on the aliens, with their ping pong eyes. I've seen better effects in silent movies from the twenties.
The only actor whose name I recognize is Peter Graves. Throughout the entire movie, he comes off as either passť or comatose, except for one stretch when he appears angry for no real reason except that maybe he was told to act that way. Based on his later roles in 'Airplane!' and Mission Impossible, I can only come to the conclusion that he had absolutely nothing to work with here.
The editing and cinematography are also dismal. I'm fairly used to movies having unmotivated close-ups, but this is the only one where every close-up is unmotivated. Every cut is mishandled. The sets are unconvincing, and the lighting in many scenes is so poor that you can't see the actors' faces.
And the badness continues. All of the scenes between the opening plane crash and the hospital room questioning- nearly half an hour- are not only extraneous, but create problems for the screenplay. The only reason to include this material is because without the movie wouldn't be long enough to count as a feature film, although even then it would be too long for most viewers!
There's a part where an FBI agent confronts another character in the middle of no-where, and not only is it never explained how he knew the other man would be there, it's also unclear how the agent got there in the first place! And tell me, if you can, why cutting off power to the Aliens' equipment would overload it, causing a massive explosion.
I could go on and on. But I won't. I will simply say that I pity any member of my parents' generation who wasted their weekly allowance, and ninety plus minutes of their Saturday afternoon watching this clunker.
As to why I gave Killers from Space even ten percent, I believe in Roger Ebert's policy of giving no star reviews only to those films that are morally reprehensible and/or aggressively offensive. Although undeniably bad, this film does not meet either of these criteria. As far as I am aware, no-one was ever scarred for life or moved to commit criminal acts by this movie, although I admit that I would like to do very nasty things to the original script.
Florida C.
May 20, 2009
Entertaining script is very contemporary and, if R. Lee Wilder had access to modern special effects, the film might have overcome its erh "limitations". Fortunately for lovers of Alternative Classics, R. Lee Wilder's considerable ambitions allowed him to create some special effects that are truly memorable. (Just trust me on this point and enjoy the surprises.) Peter Graves' manages to maintain his poise and dignity as he stumbles through this Alt. Classic. The special effects alone justify reserving "Killers From Space" a slot in the "50 Greatest Alternative Classics".
jazza923
March 16, 2008
Silly and hokey old sci-fi story, complete with very fake looking bug-eyed aliens. Expectedly bad, but also fun to watch in a rather warped way.
gomi
December 3, 2003
:up:
"Killers From Space"
Starring Peter Graves, doing a big part of the film in his PJ's! It's got everything: Alien abduction, romance, action, nuclear explosions, great stock footage. Can't beat it.