64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Killing Bono Reviews

Cynthia S

October 24, 2011
I really enjoyed this film. I had so much fun watching this movie, and I personally found it fantastic. I have not read the book, but I loved what was done in this story. I am assuming that it did not follow the book very well by some of the fan reviews that I have read. The movie in itself was so enjoyable, that I don't really care that it took poetic license (as movie makers will do). I am interested, however, in reading this book now...
thmtsang
thmtsang

April 5, 2011
Very funny movie about Neil McCormick and his brother Ivan who want to be rock stars. But they are over shadowed by their school friend Paul aka Bono. This movie looks at the journey of the two brothers to rock bottom while U2 raise to stardom. Stars Ben Barnes. I was also an extra in the movie so it was very exciting to be a part of it and to watch it.

May 11, 2013
It all starts so innocently in Dublin when Ivan(Robert Sheehan) auditions for a band that Paul(Martin McCann) is putting together. Paul wants him as rhythm guitarist for his band, The Hype, but Ivan's brother Neil(Ben Barnes) intervenes without his brother's knowledge to keep him out of their band and in his, The Undertakers, who end up opening up for The Hype, just before it is renamed U2. Years later, Neil is a music journalist while The Undertakers are having trouble finding a venue to even perform in, eventually settling on an illegal strip joint where they cut a deal with Machin(Stanley Townsend), so they can move to London to pursue their dreams.

Enter Gloria(Krysten Ritter).

Well, if there was a fifth Beatle, then why could not there have almost been a fifth member of U2? It is a question the tragicomedy "Killing Bono," based on a true story, answers in its own engagingly offbeat way, aided by Pete Postlethwaite who is a blast in his final screen appearance and Stanley Townsend in a neat turn. And that's not to mention the usual bug-eyed charm of Robert Sheehan.

In general, "Killing Bono" does a fine job of exploring what it takes to succeed in the music business. When we first see U2, there is no doubt they are going places, although maybe not as world conquerors, yet. And then there is Neil, as the movie points out, who is plagued by chronic guilt, bad decisions and even worse timing on an almost divine scale, being simultaneously overshadowed by and doomed to trying to compete with somebody who is just so gosh darn nice.
Eric B

May 9, 2012
The premise of "Killing Bono" -- that teen classmates of U2 would simultaneously form their own band and struggle for recognition while jealously watching Bono and company conquer the world -- should be irresistible to rock-music lovers. That it's based on a true story adds even more allure. Unfortunately, the facts were obviously embellished to create a more entertaining screenplay -- the self-destructive choices of the rival band's singer (who also wrote the book that inspired the film) are so wildly stupid that credibility is shot. I mean, really -- what member of an unsigned club band would turn down a chance to open for U2? As for depictions of U2 itself, most fans will be disappointed. None of the group's real members appear. Just one U2 song ("I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For") is on the soundtrack. The simulated group is barely shown performing, and only the "Bono" actor has a substantial part. He is a poor physical match. Sadly, the film's most memorable performance comes from the late Pete Postlethwaite as a homosexual landlord and mentor. It was his final role.
Jason R

November 2, 2011
Writer Neil McCormick's memoir about his failed attempt at becoming a world-famous musician. Is given the comedic-treatment in KILLING BONO. Which is highly entertaining and surprisingly good.
No happy-endings or heroic feats for the main protagonists of this tale. Just a bunch of shoulda's and coulda's. But, it is really fun watching the story unfold.
bamadeb77
bamadeb77

June 25, 2011
Had funny moments.... Love Bono
February 27, 2012
/B-/ The film is enjoyable enough, but saying it is "based on a true story" is playing fast and loose with our language.
January 19, 2012
It wanted to be funny but it wasn't -- just as its subjects wanted to be good at music and weren't. Killing Bono is the true-ish story of two Irish brothers who knew U2 frontman, Bono, in school and wanted to rival him in musical skill and talent. That they weren't really any good doesn't register with them as they believe Bono is simply stealing all of their hype and thunder ... so not only do the brother-duo fail on the musical front they fail on the cinematic one as well as they are annoying characters who just don't know when to shut-up or stop. Rivalries always have some potential for some decent stories; but luck just isn't on these Irish brothers' side(s) as they don't ever come across as ones we'd root or feel for. Bono is better ... deal with it and find something else to do. They are the 80's Irish Winklevii.
September 16, 2014
Of course this film isn't Oscar worthy, but it definitely has charm, quirkiness and catchy, hooky songs that do sound reminiscent of earlier U2. Of course that is "Shook Up's" whole problem, the torture of wanting to be and sound like an act that is already created. This story is loosely based on Neil and Ivan McCormack's struggle and anguish in trying to create a successful pop music career. It certainly doesn't help that Liam may or may not have been the fifth member of U2, but ended up following his older brother who was on a path of self-sabotage. I really enjoyed it, and also certainly didn't mind looking at actors Robert Sheehan and Ben Barnes for an hour and a half (Nothing wrong with a little eye candy!!). I still can't get the pop theme "Where We Wanna Be" out of my head!

May 11, 2013

Enter Gloria(Krysten Ritter).

January 9, 2013
Apesar das críticas ruins eu achei legalzinho. Não ofende ver, (C) divertido.
john m.
November 1, 2012
Quite enjoyable although its hard to believe this occurred in real life.
October 2, 2012
Funny and interesting at times, but it's also a bit too goofy for such a dark premise, and it's never as deep as it should be.
July 13, 2012
a delightful biopic-true story. seems like Cameron Crowe and Quentin Tarantino mixture film!
Jonathan D.
May 27, 2012
Nothing special with this one, but not a bad movie.
May 26, 2012
Would be real cool it was 100% true
Eric B

it's ok for u2 fans but it's not ok for movie fans
May 5, 2012
Not too bad! Quite enjoyed the watch, and yer man is the spits of Bono!
Jason R