Kiss and Make-Up Reviews

jjnxn
May 1, 2011
Rather ridiculous early Cary movie. He's slick, maybe a little too slick but still charismatic even if he hadn't fully settled into his persona yet.
September 3, 2010
A hilarious and fun movie with Cary Grant and Edward Everett Horton, who are really funny and give great performances. It's essentially a story of being careful of what you wish for.
½ March 7, 2009
Interesting train-wreck. Many odd moments, elaborate set designs, corny slapstick, and a song about corned beef and cabbage. One of those movies where you really can't root for the characters to get together. So wrong in many ways that its just about watchable if you like the period. Overall this Screen Legends - Cary Grant set is fulfilling my expectations...really for diehard fans of lesser known 30s movies, than even Cary Grant fans.
½ April 29, 2008
One of my favourite Cary Grant movies. It is a little on the odd side, though, and very risque for its time period. Definately a good watch for an account of the time period.
½ January 1, 2008
I thought the corned beef and cabbage love song was the high point of this film (and if it had been, I still would have walked away happy). But it wasn't until the car chase scene that I knew this movie was a real gem. Cary Grant was good in one of his earlier roles (clearly having fun and almost parodying himself at times), and Helen Mack also carried her role with surprising good humor. There's really not much plot, and what there is doesn't matter -- this movie is totally for the lulz. An overlooked screwball comedy from right before screwball comedies become very popular.
½ May 26, 2007
"Kiss and Make-Up" is the oldest Cary Grant movie I've seen, made within the first few years of his career. It's clear that Grant was still adjusting to being onscreen-a few awkwardish moments show it-but he was also giving a glimpse at the acting genius that was within him.

It's the story of a famed beautician who marries one of his customers despite his darling secretary's interest in him. The movie is really silly in quite a few ways. In one scene, the secretary and the customer's ex-husband sing a love song to corned beef and cabbage. I'm not making this up.

I loved the scene where Cary Grant sings "Love Divided by Two." This adds further evidence that Grant had a really nice voice (also displayed in "Wedding Present").

Silly, short, and lots of fun.