Kiss of the Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kiss of the Dragon Reviews

June 24, 2011
A hard-boiled and and awesome action-packed thriller. A sizzling, sexy, thrilling and explosive shocker from start to finish. The action is fast, relentless and utterly furious. Jet Li packs pure star power along with his incredible skills, he proves that he's one of the greatest martial arts action stars to ever hit the screen. WIth Master Li and Producer, Luc Besson you can only get amazing with this explosive combo. It's filled with adrenaline-charged action that truly knocks you out. Tcheky Karyo is electrifying. Bridget Fonda is fantastic.
½ May 30, 2011
Worth watching for Li's martial arts but with a story loosely and formulaicly strung together you can't help but feel guilty while you cruise through this action flick.

Oh well, at least it was better than his other film; Unleashed (Danny the dog.)
November 12, 2010
Not my favorite Jet Li outing, but it is Jet Li, so you know it's gotta be really bad for me to give it any fewer than three stars. I'd want more martial arts and less Bridget Fonda to give it a higher rating.
January 6, 2007
A decent action film with plenty of well choreographed fight scenes. The plot is very basic and not original there are a few lulls between the action scenes but overall it's an entertaining way to spend 90 minutes.
½ August 3, 2010
Hey...they's a good old action movie...nice
July 6, 2010
Watchable for the most part thanks to Cory Yuen, and Jet Li just being a blast to watch kicking the crap out of people. Now, why is Luc Besson's hand in almost every single action/genre film produced in France? The man is an atrocious writer, and while Jet Li gets the credit for the story here the screenplay stinks of Besson all the way to the generic "action plot cliches" and the forced atempts at doing melodrama. You're not a Hong Kong director Besson, stop trying already, the man just can't write to save his life.

Besides Jet it must be said that Cyril Raffaelli is a good screen fighter too, the man deserves better material. Tcheky Karyo plays the same role he has played for years, but he's good at it. Bridget Fonda embarasses the family name, but that's for another review. Overall, just watch it if there's nothing else on tv.
August 7, 2008's your typical jet li action flick. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd seen it a few years ago.
½ April 29, 2008
The plot is whatever, but the fighting choreography is what makes this film. Cue ball scene and Jet Li blocking 4 dudes' attacks then beating their A was amazing.
½ April 29, 2007
Once again an Asian star is lumbered with the weakest of material when trying to crack the American market. Luc Besson's scripts only work when done with his trademark tongue in cheek humour. Taken seriously, all you are left with is daft steretypes and some serious lapses in logical story telling. I mean in what dimension is a French detective an irredeemably evil, grenade-toting psychopath who can mow down dozens of civilians with automatic weapons in plain sight of everyone without ever getting caught...? Jet Li is his usual charismatic self, and his physical performance is as flawless as always. Bridget Fonda also brings a believable touch of vulnerability and humanity to her rather stereotypical tart with a heart character but the strength of their performances only serves to remind you that they are both better than this kind of generic action nonsense.
½ February 20, 2008
Really really good. I loved the action and kung-foo style fighting scenes. The story was actually really good although I thought it wouldn't even have a story so I was proved wrong. It was emotional and exciting. Was a bit confusing in the beginning hence the 1/2 star but was awesome otheriwse. I also like how they used the "kiss of the dragon" as the name because of how it was used in the movie. I was a bit confused until he said what the needle place is called. Excelent.
March 3, 2007
Gratituios violence in a martial arts movie - about time! Jet Li takes on the french police - Go Jet!
January 12, 2007
made me wanna kick a pool ball, it hurt
½ October 15, 2006
Jet Li is the greatest action star in this fantastic and quick action film.
Nate Z.
February 24, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]Jet Li is a man with fantastic martial arts skills and splendor. I have no doubt in my mind that if this man were given a proper American vehicle he could knock 'em dead. 'Romeo Must Die' was too tired and the fight scenes were too cramped (not to mention the hilarious spine flashing kick at the end). Li takes off this time as a Chinese intelligent officer who travels to France to unwittingly become the center of corrupt cops' ire. Li dispatches people in some unintentionally uproarious manners like the use of chopsticks or acupuncture. The story is meaningless and just a door to the action sequences to show off the muscle of Li.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]The biggest detriment of 'Kiss of the Dragon' happens to be in the area of why the audience is forking over their green - action. The action scenes in 'Dragon' are horribly choreographed and edited together. Nothing astounds the eye or makes the pulse race; it only annoys and agitates. The audience is coming to see some awesome kung fu delivered by its maestro Li, but what they end up getting is dull fight sequences horrendously spliced together. No sense of time or geography comes from these edits, which means there might be stuff happening but you don't know what and to whom. If you're going to showcase Li at least give the man a workable stage for his talents.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]The story of 'Dragon' is laughably bad with some perfect forehead slapping moments, like when Li is running from the bad guys and ducks into a martial arts class where everyone then takes him on. Bridget Fonda hits a career low as a woman forced into prostitution so she can retrieve her little girl again. The entire supporting cast is about as animated and well put together at the atrocious fight sequences. Only true die-hard fans of Li or kung fu should go see 'Kiss of the Dragon'. The rest of the public should just hide their chopsticks when Li comes for dinner.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: D+[/color][/font]
February 14, 2011
My favourite North American Jet Li movie. Ridiculously bad acting and overly dramatic at points but the fighting more than makes up for it. It doesn't hold a candle to his Chinese movies but this is the best North American offering we've had from Jet Li. Could use some more fight scenes but the ones we're given have some great choreography.
January 6, 2010
"There is a time for diplomacy and a time for action. Diplomacy is dead."

"Kiss of the Dragon" stars the great Jet Li as Liu Jian, a Chinese police agent who is sent to France to assist Inspector Richard (Tcheky Karyo) in arresting one of the most powerful drug lords in Asia.

Jet Li shines in this full on action thriller. The fighting scenes were good and Li kicks some serious ass, cool in appearance but capable of dishing out injury to anyone. It was excellent, fast and fun to watch and Bridget Fonda does well as the female lead in the movie with a solid performance playing the prostitute trying to get her daughter back. Tcheky Karyo relishes the part as the villain and provides an entertaining antagonist to Li's hero.

I could barely refrain myself as I watched the kick ass choreography unfolding right in front of my eyes. Jet Li's ability was a sheer delight to watch. One fight I will remember would probably be the fight between Jet Li and the two blonde-haired henchmen, played by French actors Cyril Raffaelli and Didier Azoulay. The sound track was a good one and worked well for this movie.

The actual Kiss of the Dragon the movie's title refers to is a form of Chinese acupuncture, a method that Li uses in the film that can put people to sleep or give a very bloody death. That line uttered by Richard after Jet Li's character told him he had been *Kissed* by the dragon was an instant classic, lol!!
January 10, 2012
Jet Li's finest English language movie to date. Packed with ultra-violent fight scenes and some decent acting. Although Bridget Fonda is the only low point as she is so annoying.
July 8, 2007
Liu Jiuan is brought in from Beijing to Paris to help French police arrest a crime boss. Little does he know that the French cop that he is to work with is completely corrupt and intends to frame him for the murder of the crime boss. None of this really matters though as pretty much every English language film that Jet Li is in is very sparse on story and instead just showcases Jet Li's ability to beat the shit out of goons. As per usual he does this extremely well and the fight scenes are great. Defiently an entertaining flick and good for an hour and half of good times, but not a great film by any means. You've seen one you've seen em all. Watch Once Upon a Time in China or Fists of Legend instead.
November 14, 2007
Besson + Li = plot involving Li getting hold of an incriminating tape that will expose bad guy as bad, so bad guy sends lots of hench guys to kill Li and they all fail.
What boosts the film is some decent fights, Li's accupuncture skills, and most importantly Bridget Fonda - who's character and subplot add some depth to the film and give the fights more meaning. It made me wish she was in more films.
It's still nothing special but it's better than it has any right to be.
August 13, 2008
nice choreography...updated jet li with a hip hop feel