45% The Other Woman Apr 25

Kissing A Fool Reviews

movieguru12
movieguru12

April 5, 2009
I enjoyed this movie and I don't see why others didn't. I mean in the beginning David Schwimmer's character was a jerk but by the end his character had gone through a total transformation, Jason Lee had a good performance, too as did Mili Avital.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

April 10, 2011
David Schwimmer plays Max, a womanizing Chicago TV sportscaster who falls for Sam played by Israel native Mili Avital, his attractive young publisher but who he feels is too good to be true. Max and Sam seem perfect for each other but Max wonders if he can really keep Sam "satisfied" long-term and tries to get his best friend Jay (Jason Lee) to see if she can become unfaithful.

Jay is hesitant to do this being the sensitive soul that he is plus he is still grieving over the breakup of his slutty model girlfriend but things become complicated when Jay also succumbs to Sam's charms and begins to fall in love with her.
December 4, 2011
BantamDraper
April 17, 2010
This film surprised me. I didn't expect to like it as much ad I did. Jason Lee and David Schwimmer work well together ad best friends who through a strange twist are vying for the same girl. Jason Lee as always steals scenes with his charisma and timing. Overall a fun rom-com.
spxmet
March 25, 2009
I'm not big on romantic comedies, but this one isn't as bad as most. Jason Lee gives another great performance as does David Schwimmer. The scene where he's trying to cover up an affair he's having while supposed to be in Detroit, is hard to do when he's talking to his fiancee on the phone and the other girl is in the shower intentionally singing loud. "Yeah, Max, What's going on in Detroit?" And, yes, the movie soundtrack does include "At Last".
CptHowdy
CptHowdy

June 28, 2006
Scwimmer and Lee in different roles than your used to, Schwimmer is the jerk and Lee is the nice guy.
March 20, 2013
A predictable plot line with too much cursing for no apparent reason.
February 6, 2013
Not very funny rom-com. Very predictable and formulaic.
August 5, 2011
I just saw this for the first time, I thought it was very good
July 3, 2011
This is one of my all time favorite movies! I had to rate it just because it's not doing well on this site and needs some love.
February 8, 2011
"WATCHING A BORING BUNCH OF FOOLS"

by Dane Youssef

Now here is a movie that wants to be something successful by combining everything successful.

"Kissing A Fool" wants to be too many things. Can you mix successful ingredients and get the best of every world? "Kissing..." tries to be a '40's-style romantic comedy, a modern sex comedy and a sit-com at the same time.

Co-writer/Director Doug Ellin is a friend of Schwimmer's and Schwimmer has gone on and on about exactly how great it feels to shed his Ross-image and play the complete anti-Ross.

Jason Lee stars as Jay Murphy, a sensitive nice guy who's a romance novelist and is recovering from his latest breakup with a model named Natasha (played by TV's "Weird Science" Vanessa Angel). He has a sweet boy-next-door demeanor about him and his real problem is he's too nice and sensitive for his own good.

The worst part about being sensitive is that the world is so full of
s--t and garbage, people are such assholes that your feelings get hurt too often, too easy, too much. Better to be as cruel as the world or even more so and give worse than you get.

Believe me, I know of what I speak of.

David Schwimmer co-stars as Jay's best friend Max Abbitt, a sportscaster who's a womanizer who plays the field more than the teams reports on. A total creep and always with a dumb expression of his face, a self-satisfied drawl and his own cool-guy salutation: "What' up?" Always a toothpick and a "too cool" drawl dangling from his lip.

Mili Avital is unfortunately given the second-to-weakest developed character in the whole film. She's sweet, perky and photogenic... but nothing else, really. She and Lee could have some great chemistry if only the film allowed it. But this movie is written in a way that's so made-to-order, it's embarrassing.

Bonnie Hunt plays the narrator that is publishing Lee's book. She's also the narrator. Why does this movie need a narrator? The narration actually manages to make the movie even less suspenseful, if that's possible.

And Vanessa Angel, who broke through in TV's "Weird Science" and almost stole "Kingpin," is given the least interesting character. She plays a model and Jay's heartless ex-girlfriend who has dumped him and left him a pathetic neurotic mess. Hers is not a character, but a plot device. The heartless bitch who is so cruel and horrible to the sweet-hearted hero so more of our sympathy goes to him. I groaned at her scenes.

The movie's dialouge is not always plot-driven or cutesy-poo, like most romantic comedies are (although there are sometimes when it is).

Most of the script is written in an observational sit-com kind of way. Like "Seinfeld" or "Mad About You" (or yes, even "Friends"). But the dramatic/romantic scenes are embarrassingly maudlin.

Is it just me or has the entire cast of "Friends" been in movies that were all trying to mimic Kevin Smith's highmark rom-com "Chasing Amy?"

* The Object of My Affection

* Kissing A Fool

* Three To Tango

Smith's groundbreaking romantic comedy "Chasing Amy" was revolutionary, insightful... and made big waves for Ben Affleck, Joey Lauren Adams, Lee and Smith himself. A romantic comedy, a sex comedy and a relationship story. Not merely a love story, but a life story.

Lately, Hollywood has been trying to make Smith-like slick Hollywood movies. So far, they failed terribly. Smith's movies are great because they are daring and avoid formulas. And they master the art of sparkling conversation. This film does neither. Nor did any of the other Kevin Smith-wannabes.

Lee's character has been through the ringer and things are looking bleaker. I really liked him here and felt for him. And identified with him more than I wanted to.

I knew guys like Max in high school, but in the outside world? Who knows? I was kind of like the Lee character myself. In a way, I still am. Too sensitive. Too easily vulnerable. Such a whipping boy. I did understand what Jay meant when he said, "You know, I wish I had your heart. Then I wouldn't have spent so many sleepless nights...."

The plot seems cruel and creepy, yet too sit-com-like at the same time. "Test my fiancĂ (C)e's fidelity?" Almost seems like a sick ploy to throw Jay & Samantha together, doesn't it?

Oh wait, it is...

Anyone who has ever seen a movie will know what the ending will be. It's almost like waiting for the coyote to fall off the cliff.

Schwimmer's Max Abbit character seems to dumb and dull and annoying to be interesting. He must be sick of playing the same type ("The Pallbearer," "Six Days, Seven Nights" and TV's "Friends"), but this movie will do nothing for him. Still, at least he tried.

I kept (back in 1999 when I first saw this movie) seeing a mad Ross trying to be bad whenever I looked at him, but now looking back on it and putting Ross out of my head (I really dislike the show anyway), Schwimmer does an effective job... however he doesn't really have dimensions and depth.

He's just not an interesting womanizer. Apparently, a lot of Schwimmer fans felt confused by his role here.

It feels like Schwimmer wants to play someone completely different without risking losing his hard-core audience.

Schwimmer does do a much better job breaking typecasting in the forgettable "Since You've Been Gone" and the memorable "Band of Brothers."

MEMO TO Hollywood: If you're gonna keep making bad Kevin Smith-knockoffs, at lest quit putting "Friends" actors in them.

--Forget This Pathetic Attempt At Romance and Comedy, Dane Youssef
November 14, 2010
a fun romantic comedy
Jonathan Sullivan
December 15, 2009
Kissing a Fool, a 1998 film directed by Entourage creator Doug Ellin, is an underappreciated romantic comedy that is far funnier than it should be. The movie stars Jason Lee as Jay, a writer who has spent the last year in mourning after being dumped by his aspiring model girlfriend Natasha (Vanessa Angel). His book, based off the experience, is snapped up by Linda (Bonnie Hunt) who owns a publishing company and she hooks him up with an editor named Samantha (Mili Avital). Despite the fact she is attractive and would be perfect for him, Jay instead decides to set her up with Max (David Schwimmer), his egotistical womanizing best friend who is a sportcaster in Chicago and a minor celebrity. Max and Sam hit it off and get engaged a couple of weeks later, much to the surprise of Jay. After a little while, Max becomes less assured about the impending marriage and asks Jay to test Sam's loyalty by trying to get her to cheat on him.

Kissing a Fool is told through flashbacks, as it is told through a narration by Linda to two overly enthusiastic attendees. The wedding itself does feature Sam, but who she is marrying is a mystery that we are supposed to figure out as the film progresses.

The movie as a whole is witty and funny, relying on the spectacular performance by Schwimmer. Playing against his role as Ross on Friends (a show that lasted one or two seasons), he is a complete and utter a-hole through out the whole movie, but he emits enough charisma and charm that he actually remains likable, even when he's making decisions that should make us want to punchasize his face for free. His catchphrase, "What up?", is used through out the movie but to a comedic effect and will have you saying it to everyone after you watch this movie.

As for Jason Lee...well, that's a little suspect and why the film almost fails. At this point, Jason Lee was still quite a novice to film, only having really done roles in Kevin Smith movies. This was his first attempt at a mainstream role, and his shortcomings as an actor were very prevalent. His inflections and attempts at acting were hard to watch in some scenes, and a couple of times I winced. It didn't help that his character Jay comes off as an annoying whiny twit, which are not desirable traits in a movie trying to appeal to mainstream audiences. Mili Avital, as the love interest, does what she can but her role could have been done by anyone. She is attractive, but you don't really get a real sense of why they are both in love with her. The story is mostly about Max and Jay, and Sam is just there to provide the arc.

Saying that, at the same time I also got engrossed in the love triangle. These could have been for personal reasons, as I myself have been involved in triangles like this, where a girl I like was in love with a dirtbag guy that I also happened to be friends with. I think the personal connection and projecting my own experiences onto the TV screen had me liking the movie a lot more than I probably would have otherwise.

Kissing a Fool is a fun little romantic comedy, but one that you probably won't watch more than once. Despite strong funny performances from Schwimmer and Hunt, the lackluster acting of Lee and the lack of character for Avital hurt the film in many ways. Still, if it's on TV or you have a Netflix account, it doesn't hurt to give it a chance. Maybe you'll really like it...or at least start using "What up?" more in your daily lexicon.