Knife Fight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knife Fight Reviews

Harlequin68
½ February 16, 2015
In "Knife Fight," Paul Turner(Rob Lowe) is an expert political fixer based in California. Currently, he has to get Stephen Green(David Harbour), a client and current US Senator, through a sex scandal while being unaware of Kentucky Governor Larry Becker(Eric McCormack), another client, fooling around. That leaves him little time to listen to Dr. Penelope Nelson(Carrie-Anne Moss) who wants to run for governor of California.

"Knife Fight" has certain things going for it, including a good cast, especially a charismatic Rob Lowe in the lead and Saffron Burrows who steals whatever brief scenes she is in. And it does make some good points about the way campaigns focus on sex instead of the issues, while admittedly not bringing up anything about campaign financing. Just as Paul lectures Penelope rightfully about politics being a knife fight, he somehow fails to bring up that unless one is really, really privileged, one should not start out one's political career on the state level. That's not to mention the movie failing to adequately juggle its three storylines nor making much sense in the end..
SC007
December 3, 2013
Rob Lowe's performance is the best reason to check out this film. It's been awhile since I have seen Rob in a really good role in a good film. I am happy he is back with this one. The film reminded me of movies like Wag the Dog, Primary Colors, and Swing Vote. The film is predictable but I found it very entertaining.

Eric McCormack also does a great supporting job here. So does Carrie Anne Moss, Richard Schiff, and Jamie Chung.

I definitely recommend this film.
PantaOz
September 21, 2013
This political thriller directed by Bill Guttentag and co-written with Chris Lehane is a story of a political strategist and his life. It stars Rob Lowe, Jamie Chung and Richard Schiff, all three perfectly casted in a movie which won't bring you anything new but has enough good stuff to keep you happy watching it until the end .

The drama follows a political strategist (played by Rob Lowe) and his assistant (Chung) as they navigate a trio of election campaigns rife with cheating husbands, blackmail and even an actual knife fight. Our hero is successfully juggling all three clients and very often questions whether or not to take the high road... while the ugly side of his work begins to haunt him. We can see how politics is really played... forget what you think how it should be - it is NEVER happening that way. Take any of the politicians (even Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln or John F. Kennedy) and ask why are some of them the United States' most adored individuals... maybe because they were masters at the art of juggling politics and personal lives while keeping an image for the masses.

Best performance was undoubtedly given by Jamie Chung, who is competitive by nature, and has finally proven that she can handle mouthfuls of dramatic dialogue or "something smart," as she calls it. It is a movie for all her fans, but do not expect that it will puncture the balloons of political hypocrisy.
½ October 6, 2013
I am so glad that I gave this movie a chance. Normally political movies are things to avoid, but the cast convinced me to watch it. This story is less about the politics and more about the people. The characters were wonderful and the ending was great.
June 3, 2013
If you look up Harold Lasswell's definition of politics, it will tell you that politics is defined by who gets what, when, and how. Granted, politics was a bit different back in the 1930s and 40s when Lasswell was doing his work - but the principal that he defined still stands true today. The word "politics" is and will (probably) forever be linked to corruption and greed - along with affairs, murder, and any other crime that has been committed by politicians over the years. The bad politicians that have abused their power and standing in the world over the course of human history have given nearly all politicians a bad name - yet not every politician is bad. Despite their personal struggles and shortcomings, men like Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and John F. Kennedy are some of the United States' most adored individuals and considered to have been masters at the art of politicking - so occasionally politics can give people a bad rap simply by association. In the recently released political drama, Knife Fight - juggling politics and personal lives takes center stage, along with the maneuverability involved with executing a successful political campaign.

Knife Fight stars former West Wing actor Rob Lowe as he returns to the semi-fictitious political scene. Paul Turner (Lowe) is a successful campaign strategist running three campaigns at once and with the help of his assistant Kerstin (Jamie Chung), Turner must navigate a Kentucky governor, a California senator, and a doctor turned candidate through the nastiness that accompanies political campaigns. Spinning news cycles to his will, Turner uses his connections and political savvy to walk the fine line of fighting dirty to keep his candidates clean - or as he puts it: "bring a gun to a knife fight." Knife Fight features a star-studded supporting cast, including Carrie-Anne Moss, Julie Bowen, Richard Schiff, and Jennifer Morrison.

Since Lowe has returned to the role of a political strategist, it's only logical to compare this new role to his role on The West Wing - a role that arguably brought him to the height of his success and popularity. As in The West Wing, Lowe is smooth with his deliveries and plays an easily likeable character in a career that makes him question the morality of his actions. Rarely making a mistake, Lowe's character is methodical in his execution and is relentless - while occasionally overly smug with his political maneuvers. Obviously, Rob Lowe is already well-rounded on the inner workings of playing a character in politics - and does such an ambitious job at it that it's difficult to tell his Paul Turner/Sam Seaborn characters apart.

Lowe is clearly the only shining star in this low-budget, nearly TV-worthy film. While several characters play pivotal parts in the film, there is very little memorable acting to be found - mainly due to the poor writing, and being forced to hastily tell a complex story when it deserved more depth. However, the film's memorability comes in the form of a reunion that many of us have been patiently awaiting for far too long - so, for the West Wing fans out there, you're in for a MASSIVE treat. Knife Fight reunites Lowe with his former West Wing cast-mate, Richard Schiff. Lowe and Schiff share several screens together that will bring about a severe case of nostalgia. Their chemistry - stemming from their work on The West Wing - feels so incredibly natural in this film that it will almost feel like a waste, due largely in part to the already mentioned lackluster writing. Regardless, this film will leave you wanting to pop in one of those old West Wing seasons to relive the better times.

The bottom line: nobody will blame you if you completely skip this one. Only West Wing fans need not miss it.
February 1, 2013
Refreshingly intelligent and contemporary. Brisk dialogue with a mix of humor. Rob Lowe brings energy and focus and is surrounded by a talented supporting cast. Will leave viewers discussing the shades of gray and complexities of our political system and the candidates we elect.
April 11, 2015
good movie about voting
Harlequin68
½ February 16, 2015

½ September 17, 2014
interesting an solid but also real bland.
July 4, 2014
To start things off, this is an OK movie, somewhat smart and somewhat savvy
I would recommend to watch it at least once. a good performance for Rob Lowe and Jamie Chung
Not your typical political kinda movie, Third Act got a little better, better than what I originally expected.
June 2, 2014
An enyoyable look at the cynicism of Politics in America.
March 28, 2014
I think Rob Lowe is a great actor. I think although the story was easy to predict he played his part beautifully. I enjoyed this movie a lot and would recommend it for something light.
½ February 14, 2014
Fair satire on the electioneering process in the US, but not a fantastic piece of cinema.
February 6, 2014
Whether the story is "familiar territory" or not I found the Rob Lowe treatment engaging and very well done, on a par with "House of Cards"....AND, though I may be naive (or perhaps less cynical than some, I am sure that there are existing in D.C. and other political centers, people of good will and conscience, who DO want our Democracy to work honestly and well.
February 5, 2014
It tries to get far too much into far too short a movie, and ends up feeling like a TV pilot that already knew it wouldn't get picked up. It's fun in places, and the mini West Wing reunion is nice, but overall just doesn't quite hang together.
January 22, 2014
Knife Fight is a disappointing film. It is about a political strategist juggling three clients questions whether or not to take the high road as the ugly side of his work begins to haunt him. Rob Lowe and Julie Bowen give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Bill Guttentag did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
SC007
December 3, 2013

I definitely recommend this film.
October 23, 2013
Political satire has been done better and with a lot more depth than this, very light, too easy going and too unbelievable.
½ October 6, 2013
October 3, 2013
The political maneuvers depicted in the story are smart, but nothing new. Success for all of the candidate, that's too much.