• Knock Off

Knock Off Reviews

skactopus
skactopus

February 10, 2010
Tsui Hark's Knock Off is an action film that isn't as bad as it seems.Unsurprisingly, the story is straightforward, easy to follow, and to be honest, quite stupid. The setting takes place in Hong Kong, and with Tsui Hark as a director the film feels less like a Hollywood film. In this case, this is a good thing.Tsui Hark's editing and camerawork can be erratic at times and the 90 minutes whiz by because of this. The pacing is really quick and scenes come and go like there is no tomorrow. On the flip side this makes it harder for the film to have a really deep story with built up characters. It also creates plot holes.Hark's editing does help the action. The constant switching of camera shots make these scenes seem extremely fast and full of energy, which makes it really entertaining. As for the action itself, there is a moderate amount with a hilarious rickshaw scene in the beginning.The acting isn't award winning by any means. Van Damme is pretty amusing as his character is a bit wacky, but Rob Schneider is unconvincing as a CIA agent and feels out of place.By the end, Knock Off doesn't shine anywhere. It is just a mediocre action picture for Van Damme fans.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
"Knock Off" is set in Hong Kong and Jean-Claude Van Damme stars as a fashion designer who is unwillingly selling knock off clothes which easily tear. Van Damme and his sidekick (Rob Schneider) are up against enemy marketeers who are trying to cause a worldwide catastrophe by using tiny explosive devices in items such as jeans and toys and then shipping them all over the world.
"Knock Off" definitely proved that Van Damme is a better fighter than ever and that he can still make exciting movies. This movie has the best special effects, action sequences, and even the best fighting out of all of Van Damme's movies so far, and that's saying a lot because Van Damme has made many great fighting and action movies such as "Hard Target," "Bloodsport," "Sudden Death," and many others. I didn't like the movie's plot or story that much, but the action and fighting sequences are GREAT! If you like exciting fighting movies and if you like some of the other Van Damme movies, I recommend getting "Knock Off." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
deano
deano

October 15, 2006
What a Van Damme explosive action-thriller set in Hong Kong.
Aaron N

June 10, 2006
Rob Schneider, dup dee dup, dup de dup dee....
alanjayh
alanjayh

August 13, 2008
not bad..has the comedic element of rob shneider and asian locales which gives this so-so actioneer a boost..
October 6, 2009
I was forced to watch this movie...I am not a Van Damme fan, but I suffered through it. I thought Lela Rochon was pretty, but I didn't like they had Rob Schneider in it. He just looked out of place....
soulxside
September 28, 2007
It's stupid and cheesey, but if it was in cantonese and filmed without american actors, it would be a pretty solid movie. Such a waste of talent to bring Tsui Hark to the US and make him direct a couple of bad Van Damme movies. I like this one though.
chase82tx
March 31, 2007
Take one has been and add one never was and u get the movie if your a complete loser u waited your whole life to see Knock Off.
bluejays86rock
February 25, 2007
i hate jean-claude van damme, he still owes me money lol. bruce lee and chuck norris are my fav martial artists.
coryorton
June 18, 2006
Holy wow...even me,one of the larger Van-Damme supporters out there,must admit that this is just film smothered with horse leftovers.
roses123451
April 26, 2006
Eww, this is such a crummy movie. I don't like Jean-Claude Van Damme anyhow, but this movie is beyond personal hatred.
May 9, 2014
Seriously. People critics need to watch these movies before they rate them. At minimum this film is clever and looks like the cast and crew had a blast making it I think Van Dam gets whipped in the ass with an eel while running a rickshaw.
March 7, 2014
It cant have been that good if I cant remember any of it plot, except the fact thing's blow up
August 6, 2013
The entire film is so idly written and edited together that it's as senseless as its title suggests.
November 2, 2012
A cheap action movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Rob Schneider. Sounds crap, eh? Well, if you go in with that attitude then you may get a pleasant surprise.

Knock Off has semi-decent action and good stupid laughs along the way. It never takes itself seriously and neither do you, and the plot is simple and has moment of laughable stupidity but is easy to keep up with. This is a good film because it's a good mix of good and stupid, and it's good to watch with mates too. Not one of Jean-Claude Van Damme's greatest, but it massively outranks his worst by a milestone. Like Tango and Cash, it's so over the top and its characters are so laughably stupid that it's safe to say that Knock Off is a good movie, full stop.
May 29, 2012
Whacky. Crazy stunts and visuals.
June 18, 2011
good but i didnt like the way they filmed certain scenes
January 17, 2012
The entire plot is silly and brainless. The countless twists tossed into the movie were unnecessary and tacky. The fighting choreography itself is a joke.Don't even wast you time on this movie.
March 23, 2011
OH GOD DO I WANT TO KNOW? rated Schneider's worst film... IT MUST BE BAD.
Dave J
November 25, 2010
Thursday, November 25, 2010

(1998) Knock Off
ACTION

I normally don't like Van Damme films but the ones he did do with well known Hong Kong action directors such as Tsui Hark (Once Upon A Time In China series) who had directed this film is not bad in terms of it's action sequences which does not consist of a lot of cheesy slow motion fighting he normally showcases on much of his other ones he did with American directors such as "Universal Soldier" and "Blood Fist"! Plot involves exactly what the title says which is cheap products, and Van Damme as good guy infiltrating the bad bad guys from exploiting this! As an action fan, watch this for the action bits and not for the story or the bad acting!

3 out of 4