Knock Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Knock Off Reviews

skactopus
½ February 10, 2010
Tsui Hark's Knock Off is an action film that isn't as bad as it seems.Unsurprisingly, the story is straightforward, easy to follow, and to be honest, quite stupid. The setting takes place in Hong Kong, and with Tsui Hark as a director the film feels less like a Hollywood film. In this case, this is a good thing.Tsui Hark's editing and camerawork can be erratic at times and the 90 minutes whiz by because of this. The pacing is really quick and scenes come and go like there is no tomorrow. On the flip side this makes it harder for the film to have a really deep story with built up characters. It also creates plot holes.Hark's editing does help the action. The constant switching of camera shots make these scenes seem extremely fast and full of energy, which makes it really entertaining. As for the action itself, there is a moderate amount with a hilarious rickshaw scene in the beginning.The acting isn't award winning by any means. Van Damme is pretty amusing as his character is a bit wacky, but Rob Schneider is unconvincing as a CIA agent and feels out of place.By the end, Knock Off doesn't shine anywhere. It is just a mediocre action picture for Van Damme fans.
½ September 10, 2009
"Knock Off" is set in Hong Kong and Jean-Claude Van Damme stars as a fashion designer who is unwillingly selling knock off clothes which easily tear. Van Damme and his sidekick (Rob Schneider) are up against enemy marketeers who are trying to cause a worldwide catastrophe by using tiny explosive devices in items such as jeans and toys and then shipping them all over the world.
"Knock Off" definitely proved that Van Damme is a better fighter than ever and that he can still make exciting movies. This movie has the best special effects, action sequences, and even the best fighting out of all of Van Damme's movies so far, and that's saying a lot because Van Damme has made many great fighting and action movies such as "Hard Target," "Bloodsport," "Sudden Death," and many others. I didn't like the movie's plot or story that much, but the action and fighting sequences are GREAT! If you like exciting fighting movies and if you like some of the other Van Damme movies, I recommend getting "Knock Off." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
deano
October 15, 2006
What a Van Damme explosive action-thriller set in Hong Kong.
½ June 10, 2006
Rob Schneider, dup dee dup, dup de dup dee....
alanjayh
August 13, 2008
not bad..has the comedic element of rob shneider and asian locales which gives this so-so actioneer a boost..
½ August 6, 2013
The entire film is so idly written and edited together that it's as senseless as its title suggests.
½ October 28, 2012
Jean Claude, a Caesar haircuit dyed black, and rickshaw races... movie gold. I did like the fun camera angles and fancy editing a little. Fit the movie.

2009 Movies: 103
December 7, 2009
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

Better than what I expected but still not that good. Fans of Van Damme will love it.
October 6, 2009
I was forced to watch this movie...I am not a Van Damme fan, but I suffered through it. I thought Lela Rochon was pretty, but I didn't like they had Rob Schneider in it. He just looked out of place....
December 30, 2007
I will be the first to admit that I somewhat like some of Van Damme's films but he doesn't have the skills to overcome bad direction. Plus it doesn't help when you have the painfully unfunny Rob Schneider. Van Damme is like Laurence Oliver compared to him.
October 16, 2007
Jean-Claude Van Damme, Lela Rochon, and Rob Schneider star in this amazing straight-to-video film about a couple of hustling Hong Kong knock off artists who get caught in over their heads when they uncover a terrorist plot involving counterfeit jeans and a lot of attitude. I‚??d like to point out some of the aspects that make this movie unbelievably incredible.

The Star: This movie has an outstanding cast. If you ask me, any film starring Jean-Claude Van Damme is a damned action goldmine. You may disagree, but you would be wrong.

Plot: The plot of this film involves terrorists who develop a highly deadly explosive disguised harmlessly as rivet-buttons on knock off jeans. Genius.

Green Flames: Every explosion (yes, EVERY explosion) in this film results in what can only be described as the holy fire of Saint Patrick himself. I don‚??t quite know how or why green flames became a part of the storyline, but this movie has them.

Coked-out Van Damme: We all know that Jean-Claude is hooked on the blow- but what you may not be familiar with is a movie where JCVD has certainly snorted the dust of the gods before shooting each scene. His overly giddy dialogue, allergic shiners, sunken eyes, and spastic gestures make for some of the greatest Van Damme acting I have seen to date.

Rob Schneider: Oh that crazy cat is back, and guess what? He‚??s making an ass of himself yet again. I think at some point every director must say to himself/herself: ‚??You know what this movie is missing? Rob Schneider acting like a complete idiot, that‚??s what.‚?? Then the director goes and calls Robby‚??s agent who seems to have no problem whoring his client out to anything that comes along.

A Buddha Base: That‚??s right, a Buddha base. Filmed in Hong Kong, where there is no shortage of large Buddha Statues, the C.I.A. along with local authorities have a base inside a giant Buddha. I‚??ve never seen a Buddha base before, and probably never will again. This movie made it happen. Oh, and I don‚??t want to spoil the movie for you, but at the end of the film the Buddha base explodes in a giant ball of green flame.

Fifteen nuns and twelve bikers agree that this movie will entertain. If JCVD isn‚??t enough enjoyment for you, well then‚?¶ actually that doesn‚??t make sense. Of course Van Damme is enough enjoyment. Silly me.

The plot takes several twists and turns and keeps you guessing right to the very end (repeatedly asking ‚??What the hell is happening?‚?? is guessing, isn‚??t it?). I‚??m not sure what else to say about this movie, so go watch it; you will be laughing too hard to be disappointed.
½ September 28, 2007
It's stupid and cheesey, but if it was in cantonese and filmed without american actors, it would be a pretty solid movie. Such a waste of talent to bring Tsui Hark to the US and make him direct a couple of bad Van Damme movies. I like this one though.
March 31, 2007
Take one has been and add one never was and u get the movie if your a complete loser u waited your whole life to see Knock Off.
February 25, 2007
i hate jean-claude van damme, he still owes me money lol. bruce lee and chuck norris are my fav martial artists.
June 18, 2006
Holy wow...even me,one of the larger Van-Damme supporters out there,must admit that this is just film smothered with horse leftovers.
½ April 26, 2006
Eww, this is such a crummy movie. I don't like Jean-Claude Van Damme anyhow, but this movie is beyond personal hatred.
November 27, 2004
What the heck am i supposed to knock off. This title is joke. This title also serves as a warning, to warn us that this film is a knocking bird of your wallet.
February 9, 2016
one of the most fun movies ever! critics should be ashamed of themselves giving this only 8% it should be 88% stop taking things soooooooo seriously. movies are allowed to be just..... FUN you know!!!!!!
June 5, 2015
Good fun. Not as much kick ass, as I would have liked but a decent action flick. A serious twitch off Lela Rochon.
½ February 22, 2013
Sitcom worthy plotting and hammy one liners but the action scenes are damn impressive. Low budget 80s/90's action somehow holds up better than the action movies of today.