Kotoko

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Kotoko Reviews

Luke B

March 16, 2013
A difficult and hard hitting horror movie masquerading as a drama. Kotoko (played by folk singer Cocco) is a mother that suffers from visions of dangerous doppelgangers, as well as constantly finding herself in troubling situations. Her child is soon taken from her and given to her sister. Kotoko is at times terrifying, at times heartwarming, and at times relentlessly shocking. There is always a powerful emotion behind every scene. Tsukamoto uses the hallucinatory images to create an intriguing but frightful world. Sound is also utilised to powerful effect but can become overbearing, just like it is for Kotoko. Along with some shaky visuals, this is a brilliant aesthetic representation of mental illness. We feel for Kotoko and hope for her to be set free, but mental illness is rarely so simple.
July 21, 2013
Very interesting, very heavy, but oh so not very original.
Watch if you have nothing better to do.
6/10
December 29, 2012
"No score yet..." is the note I found in this movie's page. I can't just put up with that. Of course this is a japanese movie, and even in Japan, people can see this movie only in a few theaters. But certainly, this movie shouldn't be unnoticed. Or maybe you guys can't technically see this movie? Is the movie not available in your countries? Is that your problem? If it is, what a tragedy. That means you miss an union of 2 one of the kind creators - Cocco and Shinya Tsukamoto. And it is incredible how well this worked. The character Kotoko had to be Cocco. Who else can do this? Nobody else on the earth. I'm big fan of hers as a singer. She's doing in this movie exactly what she's doing when she sings - she's doing everything she can to make it happen. She totally devotes herself to what she creates. She is honest, so honest that she breaks your heart. Please see this movie. Just see this movie. Please.