La Promesse (The Promise) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Promesse (The Promise) Reviews

Harlequin68
½ November 3, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"La Promesse" is about Roger(Olivier Gourmet) who runs a thriving business smuggling, housing and exploiting illegal aliens in Belgium with his son, Igor(Jeremie Renier). Igor works as an apprentice to a mechanic(he pockets a woman's wallet while working there) and in his spare time makes his own personal go-cart. One of the latest arrivals is Assita(Assita Ouedraogo) from Burkina Faso who is a young mother and married to one of the tenants, Amidou(Rasmane Ouedraogo). During a raid by labor inspectors, Amidou falls from scaffolding and is gravely wounded. He has Igor promise to take care of his wife and child. Amidou dies after Roger refuses to take him to a hospital. Father and son conspire to cover up the death.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"La Promesse" takes a neo-realist approach in telling this story. Since the movie is told mostly from Igor's point of view, this does limit its depth. It is still a good dramatic movie but it lacks the emotional resonance to make it truly memorable. And it is interesting to imagine what Igor would be like without such a rotten role model like Roger...[/font]
February 24, 2012
Wow! Another great film from the Dardenne. I truly believe that they are incapable of making anything less than a gripping tale.
March 31, 2010
A grim but hopeful film that shows us the birth of a consciousness.
½ September 3, 2014
excellent, gritty ensemble piece on the subject of honour among thieves. great performances from all the leads
February 5, 2013
Doesn't Belgium offer emergency medical service to the undocumented ? I mean even US will treat "illegals" in its emergency care, albeit at insane prices that are charged AFTERWARDS. But it would be a national disgrace for any developed country to deny emergency care for a baby because of lack of insurance/citizenship/residence !
December 2, 2012
The film is entirely within the caught-on-the-run tradition of cinema verite, which makes it all the grittier and its conclusion all the more wrenching.
½ March 8, 2010
There were parts that seemed to drag and that just plain frustrated me. A very solid film nonetheless and a very intriguing plot. I also wasn't in a super receptive mood when I watched this but it still was great filmwork. Enjoyed the whole "only music is diegetic" concept that the Coen brothers used in "No Country For Old Men".

Definitely loved it.
January 20, 2010
The Dardennes are the great moral filmmakers of current European cinema, filling the rather large shoes of Krzysztof Kieslowski. La Promesse is them finding themselves as narrative craftsman and Igor's story shares all the qualities that make their later films so graceful and relevant.
January 11, 2008
Very, very well shot film that captures the nitty gritty of urban life, while shooting around several messages about the immigration issue and the bonds of loyalty between a father and son. Very good.
½ January 10, 2008
The realism (or naturalism?) this film chose was absolutely amazing. Probably the only movie from Belgium I've ever seen. It has a very interesting documentary style, slightly off kilter and imperfect. The final scene, with the train station wall in high focus, was absolutely perfect.
November 12, 2014
I've had this film for a very long time. I was uncertain if I had already seen it but I was only confusing it with "L'enfant" I believe.

Anyhow, this is a pretty early Dardenne-film, and Jérémie Renier's first full lenght. It's very naturalistic and there are loads of sadness here. Most Dardenne-films tent to feel very alike. They often use the same actors, and they are all pretty short films. The themes change but there are always some of this mentioned sadness and they are also relevant and realistic.

Well acted, well developed and it carries some big emotions. Gritty and staight forward, still smart and very intriguing. The Dardenne Brothers are two of my favorite directors and this film is very solid, still not their best effort to date. Upcoming "Deux jours, une nuit" looks very promising as well.

8.5 out of 10 scooters.
½ October 23, 2014
A promise. What does that word mean to you? How far would you go to keep a promise you made to someone? Would you betray someone close to you to keep that promise? 'La Promesse' is a brilliant debut by the Belgian duo, Dardenne brothers, showing a 15-year old boy's brave efforts to keep his promise. The movie is about morality and responsibility. It's easy for one to blame their bad upbringing or company for their immoral ways, but it takes real courage and a good conscience to rise above those ways and become a better human being.

With hand-held cameras, simple narrative, inexperienced actors and no background score, Dardenne brothers' bold approach is quite refreshing and realistic; they place us right there, in suburban Belgium, where the story is unfolding. The story is stirring, and the acting is quite incredible, especially by Jeremie Renier; their eyes speak a lot.

I liked the way they handled superstitions and rituals related to it; it was darkly amusing.

The final scene is quite uplifting and heartbreaking. I loved the way they ended the movie; it keeps you pondering over a few things.
½ September 3, 2014
July 22, 2014
It's funny how the Dardennes are seen as brutal, stark realists making typical boring European arthouse films, while I'm finding one of their strongest qualities is their well-constructed, compelling, novelistic plots. Goes to show that just because you use hand-held cameras and non-professional actors doesn't mean you have to take realism as a suicide pact. (Though their treatment of African immigrants is a little patronising, which is probably a symptom of being white and liberal.)
March 11, 2014
Sometimes you just bring out the best out of the very worst. It is a boy's story of coming of age from a situation which is totally bleak and devoid of humanity. He had one compulsion to keep the promise made to a fateless dying man. He had other motivation also to protect his father and his criminal activity. Being torn between the opposites he takes a course of activity which was really unexpected. There he grows into a man, a conscientious human being. The moral dilemma gives rise to sense of propriety. A gem comes out even from the curse of a depraved and betrayed childhood.
April 23, 2013
La Promesse is envolving as it is affecting, boasted by a terrific script by the Dardenne brothers and outstanding performances from its cast.
March 9, 2013
Hesitancy is observable in this, the Dardenne Brother's self-recognized first film. They are toying with the form they would eventually master in Rosetta and in all subsequent films. Still really good though. Packed with the same emotional urgency as everything they made after.
March 6, 2013
A simple film with philosophic ideas and of human relationship.Dardenne brothers' debut film has some interesting premises about father-son relationship, migration problems in Europe, interaction between people of different race and creeds and starts from there with the director's signature handheld cameraworks.
But the film arrived to some cliches at the middle when we would see the good-old black exploitation and hatred from whites,their unity only within their race in 20th century.From then the film suffered dragging a bit and near to the end, the boy's realization of his father's selfish cruelty and his confession to the struggling wife saves the film from being a outdated.
Though this one one also consists of some unsung relationship like other of their films. From that point of view,only the boy's morality is not justified to convince his character but his affection and coming of age characteristics are responsible largely on that matter.