• PG-13, 2 hr. 21 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Lady Jane Reviews

Cynthia S

September 7, 2010
Superb! The history of the English Royals has never ceased to amaze me. The people that were closest to them, and were supposed to be there to support and protect them, were nothing but opportunists. This is the story of how they used two poor young people to get their way. Jane Grey and Guilford Dudley were forced into a marriage, and then used to obtain the throne of England. It was never their choice, and it was totally against their wishes. They were nothing but pawns. Unfortunately, when all went wrong in a very short time, they paid for it with their lives. This has to be one of the most tragic stories that came out of that era, and this movie really did a wonderful job telling it..even if they embellished a little with the romance stuff. If that was true or not, I dont know. But it made me enjoy it even more.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

July 1, 2010
I so rarely cry, but leave it to Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes to do it. Dumb sweet, young romance. Henry the VIII and his aftermath is one of the most fascinating times in history to me, so I loved it in that sense, even if this wasn't all entirely true. Hey, it's Hollywood. But I still loved the story and the lesson. And I do love period piece. I loved the costumes, the acting, the story, the casting, everything. Even the stony end with Queen Mary.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 1, 2007
Good drama of a sad chapter in England's history, the using of Lady Jane Grey as a political prawn and the calamities that result. It's romantized of course but still well acted and directed.
Stefanie C

April 16, 2008
nice period piece on young, idealistic love and social reform combined with a couple of beheadings.
weelee18

December 27, 2007
An interesting movie.
Greenfeary2010
September 4, 2010
Lovely historically inaccurate retelling of the story of the "Nine Day's Queen", Lady Jane Grey. It is romantic and beautiful for a movie from the 80's.
February 27, 2009
Although the story went a little overboard with the relationship between Jane and Gilford, and the soundtrack was overbearing, I found this a very interesting historical drama. It's not an amazing production, but the writers managed to make one of the most confusing periods of English history a little easier to follow. Carter and Elwes also deliver stellar performances, which illuminate the historical figures as real people.
Comicgirl101
August 20, 2008
I really adored the preformances given by the main actors in this movie and I think the only thing I would change would be the nude sceans - because yes, they were married, but no, I didn't need to see all that carried into the fantastic dieolg. Really a fantastic movie that I'd see agian.
loringhammond
January 7, 2008
Sucha great movie! My favorite of all time. Great presentation of the gospel without preaching. True story.
August 26, 2007
This movie was amazing...but what else would you expect with such awesome leads as Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes? "Lady Jane" is a beautiful telling of the unfortunate life of England's little known "nine day queen" Lady Jane Grey. A must see for any fan of the tumultuous Tudor Britain.
March 22, 2007
The soul takes flight to the world that is eternal... invisible. But there arriving she is sure of bliss, and forever dwells in paradise.
jusmithme
March 17, 2007
a historical drama that actually has some teeth to it. teenage angst at its finest. a beautiful true story of a queen who lasted only nine days because of her unwillingness to pander to anyone. she was strong-willed & just plain strong. it's also an evolutionary love story, considering the pair initially hated each other, but were forced into marriage at such a young age. transcendant!!!
October 29, 2006
Very moving story of a most admirable girl who gets thrown into being Queen of England for 9 days. Whether the love story is true or not, it is still beautiful to watch play out! ^_^
Tirralyra
October 12, 2006
Beautiful, if MAJORLY historically inaccurate. Their portrayal of Edward VI in particular bothered me, even though the actor was adorable. He was hardly as frail and dependant on Northumberland as they would lead us to believe, and FAR more intelligent than they give him credit for. That being said, the costumes are amazing, Cary Elwes is as cute as ever, and I must say that Helena Bonham Carter was excellent.
July 4, 2014
long but more interesting than i expected. Fucked up 16th century. Cary Elwes and Helena Bonham Carter were great as always. I liked Warren Saire too. There was something i didn't like though. i don't know what. maybe the 1986 quality or the directing.
April 13, 2012
A little long and sometimes slow, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm a huge fan of all things Tudor Dynasty era and this definitely fills my craving when I need a dose of history. A GREAT movie to at least see once.
October 27, 2011
I cried my eyes out.
October 20, 2011
A romantic and tragic period piece featuring Cary Elwes? You obviously cannot go wrong.
September 16, 2011
Despite this movie being 25 years old I really liked it. It's not exactly historically accurate, but entertaining still and made me look up what was historically accurate. Helena BC has the same expression in this movie that she does in every movie I have ever seen her in though.