The Lake House Reviews

April 28, 2007
This was just a wonderful film that just another one of those films that makes me believe in true love again.
½ May 15, 2007
There is a clear lack of logical chronology in this film. The letters exchanged seem unsubstantial letters at best. Is she really going everyday to a lake house to read and write letters? And then have imaginary talks with some guy from the past? The characters come off as slightly flat and without any particular personality. It's a flawed film with a good premise.
October 20, 2007
Hokey as hell but still enjoyable. I'm a sucker for time travel love matter how implausible or Keanu Reevesy. Paul McCartney and Nick Drake provide a moving soundtrack, and Tony and Pulitzer Award-winning David Auburn's script yields some nice romantic insights.
½ July 5, 2007
Filled with modern background music the equivalent of 1800's string orchestras, this Hallmark card of a film speaks to yearning and longing, love just out of one's hands. Guys will shoot themselves in the head before a half hour is gone. The ladies will open up the Ben and Jerry's ... one just for them.
October 15, 2007
I had to watch this movie a couple of times to grasp it fully. It is exciting and romantic and yes strange too!!!
½ May 24, 2010
This was pretty unusual romantic movie but I liked it.
November 28, 2008
Great Film, I could watch it over and over again! Great Love Story!!!

Kate Forster is moving out from her lake house, built all of it with glass. She is a doctor and has just begin to work in a hospital in Chicago, moving to a new flat in the center of the city. Alex Wyler is the new owner of the lake house, a young architect who's working in the construction of a new complex of houses at the city skirts. Alex and Kate are maintaining a correspondence, talking about the house matters, sending each other letters, which are put in the lake house's letter box. But a strange thing is happening, because both of them find out that the letter box is working as a kind of time communication channel, between the year 2004, where Alex's living, and 2006, the year that Kate's actually living. After sending each other many letters talking about their lives, and Kate talking to Alex about how life will be in two years, it seems like they're falling in love each other. But maybe they will never meet each other, because of the time distance. Nevertheless, Kate comes up with a memory from 2004, when she forgot a book in a train station, Jane Austen's "Persuasion", and she'll ask Alex to go to that place in that precise moment, when she lost the book. Maybe the future of Kate is about to change, when Alex decides to meet Kate's other self in the past, despite the fact that she has a boyfriend. They will learn that playing with time could be a little bit dangerous for both of them, but Alex will take everything into his hands to finally meet Kate in the future.
January 10, 2010
It's an incredibly ridiculous and corny concept, but somehow it's not Keanu Reeves' or Sandra Bullock's worst movie. It looks really good, so that automatically makes it easier to watch. There's something else too, maybe the time travel aspect, that makes it worth watching.
December 29, 2009
Very adorable Movie. I was tiny bit confused with the Letterbox thing but quickly I was okay when it was revealed that the letters are from the past and she was in the future.
September 9, 2007
this is probably my favourite romance drama movie the storyline i thought would be complicated that it wouldnt be pulled of reli well and would just leave you confused but its brilliantly done and acted, the chemistry between bullock and reeves is fantastic and really is a heart warming film and i cryed at the end the ending is just as good as the movie as sometimes endings on movies can be a let down but this movie was brilliant through and through!! worth a watch
April 27, 2007
A couple enter into an unlikely romance as they both inhabit the same house; only two years apart. This is one of those wish fulfillment fantasies that's easy to pick holes in but everyone seems to have a soft spot for; think a romantic version of Frequency. The whole magic mailbox concept is obviously ridiculous, but so is the idea of building a time machine out of a DeLorean. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock are also hardly the greatest acting talents in the world, but this is the kind of romantic fluff that relies far more on the charm and likability of its stars, rather than their ability. Basically if you like THEM, then you'll like THIS. The twist is also pretty obvious, and you know it's all going to have a happy ending because it's just that type of film, but it does have some charm and is one of the few Hollywood feelgood films that didn't result in me being feelsick instead.
January 12, 2009
An unapologetically cheesy love story that I won't apologise for enjoying, though perhaps my past-self would have enjoyed it more. It follows a simple sci-fi premise of two people striking up a correspondence despite being separated by time, 2 years, if not space, the Lake House. Thankfully the love story remains the focus of the movie throughout without any other distracting gimmicks other than the central premise, which drives the story really well.
½ August 2, 2006
I really surprised myself with this film as it turned out to be a fairly enjoyable time travel tale.

I like the complication of the timing difference and the way it makes you calculate the story in time in your head, it makes this love story quite an interesting one.

Dare I say it, an enjoyable chick flick!
½ March 2, 2007
Pretty good. A little slow at times. And I kept trying to wrap my brain around the whole time travel thing even though I knew that it didn't make sense. But it was cute and it made me cry.
½ April 16, 2007
Last time Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock starred in the same movie was in Jan de Bont's action hit Speed, and if it's anything that film taught us, it's that the two of them have a great chemistry together on screen. The same goes for this film, that altough being of a completely different genre, brought out the best in them once again.

As for the story per se, it wasn't at all the "chick flick" I had expected it to be, but rather a touching and original film about life, hope and the search for true love. It even had a supernatural element to it, which is something that really appealed to me, as it provided the plot with a rare sense of depth and mystery.

All things taken into account, this is definitely one of the best romantic dramas I've ever seen. Perfect for a rainy day, or when in need of a fresh ray of hope.
½ July 14, 2008
This was much better than I expected it to be. It's about 2 people exchanging letters and falling in love... 2 YEARS APART! Although the idea is ridiculously dumb, the director does a good job making this a smart movie.

However, one aspect that was completely ignored was changing the future even a little has a huge ripple effect (think Butterfly Effect), but not in this movie. One minute there's no tree then POOF there's a tree and everyone's ok with that.

It gets a strong rating from me because it was fun to watch it play out, and girls will love the sappy meant-to-be romance. It was also a really short movie, which for this type, is a huge plus.
January 28, 2007
There are so many great moments that it's so disappointing to see the convoluted writing and boring direction hold back what could have been a really great romantic film.
½ December 31, 2006
A very good love story with fine acting. Some seem to question the whole time travel side of it a bit too much and it may confuse some. It's a great story and quite similar to Sandra Bullock's other recent film Premonition.
If you can ignore or get your head around the time travel theory of using information in the present to change the past etc then you will enjoy this romantic movie!
October 22, 2007
Romantic time travel story. Worth a look.
½ September 1, 2007
Totally confused me on the physics of what happened..but it's a good love story.