• R, 1 hr. 35 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Laramie Project Reviews

Christian C

May 20, 2013
Moving and important story. Great cast.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 7, 2013
The Laramie Project is the movie to watch on the Matthew Shepard ordeal. Although far from perfect, this is a well acted and directed docu drama that tells a remarkable true story. Although far from perfect, the story is compelling and is worth seeing if you want to watch something truly engaging. This is a must see film for people interested in this poignant story. I thought that it was a well made movie that could have been a bit better, but it is much better than The Matthew Shepard story. The performances are pretty good and the story is engaging from start to finish, and there are some very good cast members here that give some good performances. There are things that could have been changed to make the film better, but for what it is, it works as an interesting docudrama. Although not perfect, it's still well acted and tells a great story. What Happened to Matthew Shepard should never happened, but it also opened the door to much needed action against hate crimes and equality. This is the film to watch if you're interested in the Matthew Shepard ordeal, and it is entertaining with good, memorable performances and well written story. However like I said, it could have been reworked slightly just to make it better. The Laramie Project will most likely have an impact on any viewer that will watch the film, and it is a film that you can't forget. The film has its flaws of course, but it is a well made movie that brings to light an important issue.
familiar s

January 2, 2011
The story is sad & tragic since it happened for real, but it doesn't work too well as a docudrama. I mean, it's just about okay. I thought that it was a documentary before I went for it, but later realized (after seeing Christina Ricci) that it's a docudrama.

Don't have high expectations & you might be able to sit through it.
Cynthia S

September 14, 2010
I am not a huge fan of documentaries. I have nothing against them, but I guess there are other things that I would rather watch. Like a movie...and this is a movie made in documentary style with real actors playing the parts. A very interesting concept. Mostly, though, the fact that this movie is about a real crime made it even more interesting. The horrible, horrific, and appalling story of the murder of this poor young man needed to be told
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
It?s an interesting story and it has a great cast but it?s just so wooden. By the time you?re Half way through you just don't care!
cosmo313
cosmo313

September 13, 2009
Very moving and compelling experimental project (an acted documentary based on a play that is both about something and about it's own creation) concerning the aftermath of the murder of Matthew Shepard. Besides the sensitive way in which the material is handled, the highlights of everything are the large ensemble cast and the great performances they give. I highly recommend this.
_kelly .

September 19, 2008
If this is the one that was produced for HBO, it's a great movie as I recall.
Alice S

January 20, 2008
Some unbelievably beautiful acting and words. I found myself sympathizing with every character, regardless of their ideologies. This project is the penultimate representation of each person's own "universal truths," not matter how flawed or different from my own. As a film, the cinematography at the beginning was a bit cloying, with the extreme close-ups and camera angles for optimal emotional impact. The "frame story" which I don't believe was in the stage play seemed forced and unnecessary. Most natural performances by Fonda, Madigan, Linney, Davies, Baker, Irwin, and Kinney.
Keysha H

September 5, 2007
I wasn't sure if this play would translate well on to film. But it was extremely good and touching.
Sunil J

April 12, 2008
Pretty emotional and one of HBO's first films.
Ipinchu
March 30, 2009
Mathew Shepard and beyond! What happened in Wyoming was a hate crime. Does it make everyone in the state a homophobe? Great cast!
bobsteele0069
November 19, 2008
Well done, and deeply disturbing using people's actual words about the brutal aftermath of Matther Shepherd's horrific beating and death.
dredzag
May 11, 2007
One of several movie made about the brutal death of Matthew Shepard. This movie is a collection of interviews from actual residents of Laramie. Amazing cast. Intense. Moving. A must see.

On a side note, it's been ten years since Matthew's brutal death and we still do not have a Federal Hate Crimes law. One wonders how many other Matthews there have already been and how many more there will be before the Government starts to look seriously at a Hate Crimes law.
peachygreek6
March 2, 2008
Almost as good as the play..used to live in Laramie so thought they did a good job capturing the ignorance of the town
heybarbara
January 31, 2007
This isn't a film, nor is it a documentary. It's an adaptation of an incredible play, and it works beautifully. It has an amazing cast, but the real greatness of this movie is how close it stays to the play--and what's great about the play is how it uses the *exact* words of the people of Laramie. This isn't supposed to be a traditional film, and if you walk into it expecting that, you'll be disappointed.
afboi052003
November 23, 2007
Wow how could ppl do this to another human being, for something that is out of the persons control. Being gay is not something someone wakes up one day and says to themself, Hey I wanna be gay today. So I say again, How could you do that to someone.
insanenutball
November 11, 2007
this movie is a must for all americans....we should see this and evaulate our values and ask ourselves why does HATE like this continue to spread...because this murder should never have happend and it is an awesome awesome movie...i suggest u all go and see this and try and eliminate some of ur hate for the world!!
November 5, 2007
At first, I grabbed this because I was confused about why there were so many of "those guys" in the movie. (I mean, just go look who is in the film!) And I love Clancy Brown, Steve Buscemi, and Ben Foster.
The storytelling is done extremely well as it slowly reveals who the people of Laramie were and why they would be talking to the theatre students. This is a film I don't think I could really change too much of, because of how many strings seem to be attached to it. I don't know, I'm just kinda speechless about the movie; I was really touched and saddened by it. It's almost as sad as when Chief smothered Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Wow, that was an off the wall reference?
Because of all the "those guys" actors, the acting is done very well and believable. The scenery is moving and flattery to those who are in the shot. The story line is incredible and just thinking about having to piece together a script out of all the various interviews and events that happened while they were there is mind blowing. And they choose the scenes and words so carefully, they evoked so much empathy. It really was amazing.
June 27, 2007
YES, A MUCH BETTER INSIGHT INTO THE DEATH OF YOUNG MATTHEW SHEPARD. AGAIN ANOTHER HEART WRENCHING LOOK AT HATE CRIMES IN THE UNITED STATES.
June 8, 2007
A lot of great actors were involved in this. It was kind of a strange movie. It was reenactments or interviews which you don't see so much. Nothing action packed here, they don't even show reenactments of the events, just the interviews and trail. It definitely was unusual but it worked and I think definitely got its point across.