—— The Purge: Anarchy Jul 18

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Lassie Come Home Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
Lassie Come Home? No, Lassie please leave! That's the real problem in this movie, Lassie wont stay away. The family is too poor to keep the dog, so they sell it, but it keeps coming back home. This really got on my nerves, not only that , but the scenes with Lassie fighting bears in the woods so he could get back home were so crazy and ridiculous that I hated this movie. I did like Roddy McDowall in the movie, though, he was good, so I gave the movie more stars than it deserved.
Anthony V

March 22, 2008
If you don't like this movie you better see the wizard about a heart.
June 19, 2013
A dog who was sold for financial reasons treks across the English countryside to reunite with his best friend and master played by a young Roddy McDowell. If that isn't loyalty, I don't know what is.

Grade: B+
March 31, 2011
A very moving story about an unbreakable bond between a boy and his dog. It's also utterly depressing at times. That's one determined pooch.
jam233
October 15, 2009
I am not too into the Lassie films, but this is certainly one of the best of them. The cast is good, especially a very young Elizabeth Taylor. It's an emotional film, very much a tearjerker. Well produced.
May 3, 2008
Get the tissue box,this movie even has a sad song to it.This movie will touch your heart and Lassie will do the same.This has been a favorite even though its sad.
January 20, 2008
Beautifully done film! So many excellent actors, along with a classic story. Loved it! Beware...this movie will make even the hardest heart cry like a child! :)
tstoombs
June 4, 2006
Wanted a collie my whole childhood and finally talked my folks into a Sheltie when I was 16!. Who doesn't love Lassie?
starlett2005
May 28, 2014
Lassie Come Home is an excellent film. It is about a collie named Lassie escapes from her new owner and begins the long trek from Scotland to her Yorkshire home. Roddy McDowall and Donald Crisp give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Fred M. Wilcox did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the drama and adventure. Lassie Come Home is a must see.
August 13, 2013
A wonderful family film full of tenderness, beauty and inspiration. It is hard not to cry if you give up to feelings too easily, specially if you see "Lassie Come Home". It isn't only for children, it is for those young of heart who expect life to be wonderful. A movie is good when happens to be heart-pounding and touching like this one. Simply wonderful!
The Movie King
June 19, 2013
One of the most beloved dogs in film history appears for the first time in this well-known film.

Lassie Come Home tells the story of a boy named Joe Carraclough (Roddy McDowall) who has a close bond with his dog Lassie. He lives with his parents (Daniel Crisp and Elsa Lanchester, yes, the bride of Frankenstein herself) in Yorkshire around the time of WWI. When the parents can't afford Lassie anymore, they sell Lassie to the Duke of Rudling (Nigel Bruce), who is very fond of dogs, and has a granddaughter (Elizabeth Taylor) who promises to care for her. After taking Lassie to Scotland, Lassie, still missing her old home, runs away and takes a long and difficult journey to find her way back home.

Also in the film, Edmund Gwenn, best known for playing Santa Claus in the original Miracle on 34th Street, plays Rowlie, a handyman who helps Lassie along the way, while Dame May Whitty and Ben Webster play farmers who also take a liking to Lassie during her journey.

Generally, I am a sucker to dog movies, and Lassie Come Home is one of them. The dog, Lassie, is a well-trained dog and probably has the best acting in the entire film, which is weird cause Lassie was played by a male dog, due to female dogs shedding in heat. But they disguised the gender well to make the dog acting believable, and they pulled it off well.

The other casting is great as well. Roddy McDowall, while a little melodramatic at times, such as whining over losing Lassie, is pretty good as the boy, fresh off from playing the kid in How Green Was My Valley (if you haven't seen that yet, then get on it right away). The parents, played by Donald Crisp and Elsa Lanchester, well also well-cast and the scenes with Crisp and McDowall were pretty moving, which helps a lot cause they also were a father/son team in How Green Was My Valley. Elizabeth Taylor, while having a small role, is really strong here, especially considering this was her second film, and Edmund Gwenn was a nice surprise as well.

Filmed in Technicolor, Lassie Comes Homes uses the color at some of its strongest, especially in the journey scenes, even though some of them get boring. The score moves us through, and when the film gets emotional, so does the score.

Some of the situations Lassie gets into bored me a bit, but these scenes are brief and I was still rooting for the dog to return home.

In the end, Lassie Comes Home is a wonderful doggie film, with a well-trained dog, a mostly moving story for the whole family, and some pretty good Technicolor. Recommended.
April 29, 2013
Good movie and nice story overall and it was great to see some veteran actors in action
December 20, 2012
A very nice story about a beloved collie. This movie is a classic and should not be missed however there are several parts that will make even the most mature people cry.
February 11, 2012
This is a wonderful, great, and heart warming movie that started it all for Lassie. It also features the late Elizabeth Taylor who plays Priscilla. She makes an impact as she becomes friends with Lassie and her family. A good family film that one will remember for many years to come.
February 8, 2012
I'd never really watched the movies, having grown up with the TV series ("What's that, Lassie? Timmy's trapped in the old mine?"...). This movie simply sets out to tell a (now) classic story of a dog trying to find it's way home... Very watchable. Plus, as a Nigel Bruce fan, it rates an extra half-star from me.
December 31, 2011
a very amazing old movie showing a dogs desperate attempt to reunite with his family
June 24, 2011
Another classic film on another famous canine on screen.
Cocoa_Puffs
February 23, 2010
Lassie Come Home isn't the greatest film ever, but it was worth watching. I thought Roddy McDowall was a cute little kid and Lassie was a beautiful dog. I thought it was fun watching the dog escape each time it was put in Elizabeth Taylor's home. However, I didn't understand why the dog had to leave. Well, it has been a few years since I've seen the film, but I bet it will tell me in the movie. I think that this is a film for people who like films about animals and a kid trying to cope without his wonderful, loving dog.
Glorfindel1958
December 14, 2006
It's entertaining and well-acted. Donald Crisp is excellent as usual. Worth a look.
jenn
January 8, 2006
'Lassie Come Home' is the classic first tale of Lassie, and this film is based on the novel by Eric Knight. This story is about the bond between a boy and his dog. Lassie is sold by the boy's father because of hard times, and Lassie makes a long journey to be back at her master's side again. It's a touching and beautiful story for children, and it was my favourite story for a while when I was much, much younger. I have forgotten much of this story now, but I have not forgotten how much I used to watch this film, over and over again on the old VHS. I think that all children should have the opportunity to watch 'Lassie Come Home'.