The Last Unicorn (1982)
Average Rating: 5.8/10
Reviews Counted: 12
Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 2 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 54,023
Only one of the mythological creatures escapes the evil King Haggard's (voice by Christopher Lee) plan to eliminate all unicorns from the land in Rankin-Bass's (Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) sophisticated production of The Last Unicorn. In hopes of rescuing her exiled breed, the last unicorn (voice by Mia Farrow) teams up with the kindly, if bumbling wizard Schmendrick the Magician (voice by Alan Arkin), who accompanies her on the far-reaching and treacherous quest to save
Jan 1, 1982 Wide
Mar 16, 2004
Jensen Farley Pictures
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Some horrific moments (the mark of the best fairytales) and some sublimely witty lines.
Weighted with moments of surprising power yet undone by crazed-crank nickelodeon pacing.
Greatly underrated animated film; worth seeing
Rankin-Bass has a flair for stories like this, though the horrid songs almost undo it all.
Audience Reviews for The Last Unicorn
Movies Like The Last Unicorn
- Molly Grue: No...no,it cannot be. Can it be? Where have you been? Where have you been? Damn you! Where have you been?
- Schmendrick: Dont you talk to her that way!
- Unicorn: I'm here, now.
- Molly Grue: Oh? And where were you twenty years ago? Ten years ago? Where were you when I was new? When I was one of those innocent young maidens you always come to? How dare you! How dare you come to me now, when I am this! [Weeps]
- Schmendrick: Can you really see her? Do you know what she is?
- Molly Grue: If you had been waiting to see a unicorn, as long as I have...
- Schmendrick: I know you. If I were blind I'd know what you are.
- Schmendrick: As for you and the things you said and didn't say, she will remember them all, when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits.
- Mommy Fortuna: [laughs maniacally] Not alone! You could have never freed yourselves alone! I held you! [The Harpy, Celaeno, swoops down and kills her]
- Mommy Fortuna: You belong to me!
- Unicorn: You know better. Keep your shadows, if you will, but let me go. And let her go. I cannot see her caged. She is real, like me. We are two sides of the same magic. Let her go.
- Mommy Fortuna: I'd quit show business first!
- Schmendrick: I am a bearer! I'm a dwelling! I am a messenger!
- Molly Grue: You are an idiot! Do you hear me?! You've lost her! You've trapped her in a human body! She'll go mad!
Discuss The Last Unicorn on our Movie forum!