Late Autumn (Manchu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Late Autumn (Manchu) Reviews

PantaOz
August 11, 2013
This co-production between South Korea, Hong Kong, China and the United States is the fourth remake of the now-lost 1966 Lee Man-hee melodrama classic of the same title. This time we have trilingual romantic drama directed by Kim Tae-yong. It stars Chinese-born Hong Kong actress Tang Wei as a prisoner who is given a 72 hours parole to go for her mother's funeral in Seattle. While in the bus she meets a South Korean man on-the-run (Hyun Bin). He wants to buy a ticket in the bus but he is $30 short. Seeing her as an only Asian on the bus, he asks for a favour... and everything begins from there.

I liked the story which was told very slowly, I will say - the Asian way. And, according to the figures Asian audience loved it. The film was released in Korean theatres on February 17, 2011 and took 6.3 billion won (US$5.55 million) in the box office, and it became the highest grossing Korean film released in China to date, quickly gathering over 910,000 admissions after its March release, with a total box office take of more than 60 million yuan (US$9.5 million). The acting was outstanding and Tang Wei showed that she can handle any situation even without words, her expression telling it all! Multiple awards are just confirming this: 2012 KOFRA Film Awards (Korea Film Reporters Association): Best Actress (Tang Wei), 2011 Pusan Film Critics Awards: Best Film, 2011 Pusan Film Critics Awards: Best Actress (Tang Wei), 2011 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards: Best Actress (Tang Wei), 2011 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards: Best Music (Jo Seong-woo), 2011 Baeksang Arts Awards: Best Actress (Tang Wei), 2011 Fribourg International Film Festival: Ex-Change Award by Youth Jury, 2011 Fribourg International Film Festival: Special Mention of the Jury of the International Federation of Film Societies... just few of the many.

If you like slow paced romantic dramas with talented actors and amazing music, choose this one. You won't regret.
October 7, 2015
This film might be boring to anyone who expects to see passionate melodramatic movie. There are some missing points, which are often considered as necessary to those kinds of movies, however, it still contains something that never be appreciated by kids.
Throughout the whole movie, the characters barely talk about there actual feeling, but instead, the mystical atmosphere, created by the fog, the darkness in the movie and many things in the movie talk about how they feel, Particularly, the scene in the ruined amusement park is the peak moment in this kind of direction (It is Kim's typical direction style always appears in his movie)
Due to the this indirect discourse, audience might have some trouble getting the feeling the movie actually gives but once you get, then you cannot come out of the emotional resonance no matter what the feeling is good or bad.
½ October 9, 2014
Average, expected better though.
May 23, 2014

Best Music: Jo Seong-woo[40]

2011 Busan Film Critics Awards

Best Film[41]
Best Actress: Tang Wei[42][43]

2012 KOFRA Film Awards (Korea Film Reporters Association)

Best Actress: Tang Wei[44]
PantaOz
August 11, 2013

July 20, 2013
I love HyunBin, but the movie was pretty boring. It's cool that it was filmed in Seattle though~
½ October 29, 2012
Bin Hyeon will blow your mind as a gigolo. At first I didn't think he was going to get past an attempt at caricature, but then he absolutely owns the role, reaching a Javier Bardem level of suave. When he gets to the "This man used my fork" line, all bets are off. It's an amazing performance.

When it comes to the kissing scene at the end, if you think it's too long you haven't enjoyed the movie. If you think it's touching and warm, the film worked for you. As far as I'm concerned, it could have been twice as long. Watch Tang Wei deliver a workshop on how to act with the tips of your fingers. She's a talented actress.
½ September 25, 2012
Too long too slow. Liked the restaurant after funeral scene though. Tang Wei saved the whole flat script.
July 23, 2012
Hyun Bin!!! Tang Wei!!!
½ July 11, 2012
Pace is a little bit slow but the story is touching. They struggle for their lives but nothing can be dealt with their fates. Yet, it is still good since they have had memorable moments together. Both Tang Wei and Hyun Bin act well.
½ July 8, 2012
A tragic romance full of sentiments with setting at Seattle. Have to admit my score is a bit high due to my personal preference of both leading actor and actresss.
July 7, 2012
A love story about two lost souls found each other in short three days. Incredibly moving that touches your heart.
April 18, 2012
The movie dragged for a long time, while some critical plot details were undeveloped. One cool thing about it was being able to see leads from two different cultures against the backdrop of a third.
May 6, 2012
as predicted, too artistic n slow for me.. acting is good, since both tang wei n hyun bin are infamous actors..
½ May 5, 2012
I like Tang Wei and Hyun Bin, they are both performancers that i really think with special feature that not everyone can imitate. The film is sad, from the very beginning to the end, but it strongly made me feel that true love doesn't need language. Two lost souls find each other at some point in life, Anna and Hoon, they're true love.
½ May 2, 2012
Lots to think:
The tourist view of Seattle
The park scene with dancers
The stylistic

It is not good not bad
May 1, 2012
My fork, my fault.....
April 10, 2012
Filmnya mengulir dengan lambat, tapi sudah sesuai dengan suasana yang tercipta dengan karakter salah satu tokoh utamannya yang terkesan menghindar dan menutup diri.
Late autumn adalah kisah cinta yang tumbuh dengan perlahan dikala kedua insan itu sedang menghadapi sebuah persoalan yang serius.
December 8, 2011
it will be so much better if there's more tension between tang wei and hyun bin. its a pity the script is kinda weak on the emotion side. and obviously tang wei stood out... :P hyun bin fits the secret garden role better. :D period.
½ June 18, 2011
Lame. Like so many other movies, an excuse to bring us two hours of nothingness . Characters go nowhere, figuratively. Plot twists make us roll our eyes. Arbirtarily picks Seattle as the setting and then tries to capitalize on it to no avail (although at least the depictions of the general populace are more or less accurate. Still, that can't save it.) D+