The Late Shift - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Late Shift Reviews

February 4, 2012
The source material far exceeds this depiction that comes off more like a bad morning news dramatization. Those truly interested in the rich history of late night would be better off reading Bill Carter's book and other existing texts.
½ July 18, 2009
Surfing the ole satelite stations I came across this and boy, I'm glad i did fantastic little t.v. movie about the wars for former late night king Johnny Carson' seat. I didn't really realize that the t.v. business was so cut throat but then again I'm not surprised either. Enter the two combatants Jay Leno played with less conviction by Daniel Roebuck and David Lettermen played quite briiliantly by John Michael Higgins . We watch as them and their list of agents and what not do battle, now if you feel that watching some old grumpy t.v. execs argue would be a snoozefest think again, this actually is what makes the flick. Expecially an over the top performance by the always great Kathy Bates as Leno's ill fated manager Helen Kushnick, her lines throughout and how she handles her male coworkers is priceless at times, making me think even though the real Helen Kushnick passed away untimely sometime in '95 that she must've been a force to reckon with. Needless to say this is a movie worth catching.
February 14, 2009
did a straight forward job of telling what happened I always thought it was gonna get ugly between the two and it really didn't I've got a newfound respect for the both of them, if it's all true that is
½ February 22, 2015
Cathy Bates shows off her chops in a pretty good little look at the jockeying that went on to replace Carson.
½ October 23, 2011
I learned a lot about Jay Leno and David Letterman through this film.