Laurel Canyon Reviews

January 20, 2008
Relatively subtle, decently played inter-generational relationship drama - ultimately... kinda unsatisfying as a story. Felt like the film-maker had good characters, actors and settings... but it kinda went fffftt. Could have been good.

Reminded me a little of Beatty and Ashby's Shampoo.

I dug the establishing aerial sequence.
½ November 19, 2009
A good dramatic story with a comedic side. It relies on the acting talents to carry the story, who do that quite well. Christian Bale, Kate Beckinsale and Frances McDormand all gave strong performances and worked quite well together. I feel that the movie lacked a message, but it was still enjoyable.
Screeny
August 6, 2008
"Christan Bale and Kate Beckansale deliver a wonderful delight"

I really enjoyed this movie. This one of Christan Bale's first and best films. Its about alot of things like affairs, relationships, mother and son, and rockers who do anything for sex. Its a big drama that anyone can enjoy. Watch this movie because it delivers more than you'd think.
October 17, 2006
Sexy strange.
jjnxn
April 27, 2007
frances mcdormand is fine as usual and its an interesting film but it rambles.
March 14, 2007
Bale and Beckinsale play the most attractive and also the most boring couple alive and you're begging for them to break up by the end of the movie. The performances were pretty good but the characters were pretty pretentious and slightly lame. And the last scene was supposed to mean something but I'm guessing the creative team just pulled something out of their collective ass at that point. Not great by any means but I can definitely think of worse ways to blow two hours.
½ May 24, 2008
Christian Bale is brilliant as always but the rest of the film isn't. It's a character piece (and thankfully short), but it does appear to be an exercise in making Kate Beckinsale strip down to her underwear (thanks to a no-nudity clause) every ten minutes...all very well, but is a plot too much to ask for? Saying that, Frances McDormand is very good also. One for diehard Kate Beckinsale fans.
January 19, 2012
I really can't say why I like this movie, but I do. It's not because it really ever goes anywhere- it doesn't. It's not because any of the characters are particularly likeable- they're not. I didn't walk away from it feeling enlightened, or even particularly entertained, but somehow I still found myself absorbed. Maybe because it's nice to feel like someone's family is a bigger mess than mine? I don't know. But even though it shouldn't be good, it is.
December 8, 2010
OMG! I love the scene with Christian Bale and Natasha Mcelhone when they are talking about what they want to do to each other sexually. And then the passionately kiss.
July 9, 2009
This movie didn't have much as far as plot goes, but there was some nice character development going on. The actors did a nice job with that - Frances McDormand in particular.
January 31, 2009
Simple movie with allot of complex themes. The acting was great and I really loved all the characters. I really didn't like the ending, thought it was wrapped up too quickly. Overall it was a decent movie, nothing crazy but entertaining none the less!
½ June 30, 2008
It was alright; there was nothing really special about it. Quality film, good acting, good sets, good costumes, but the story was just 'blah'. This film had the potential of being so much better, but wasn't. It's an alright movie and that's about it.
February 13, 2008
pointless, stupid, the humor was weak. i adore christian bale and kate beckinsale and was thrilled to see them together, but this was a let-down.
½ April 3, 2007
This was a stupid movie with no point. The only reason i even finished the movie was because of Kate and Christian.
½ September 13, 2007
I can't explain exactly what it is about this movie that draws you in but by the time the screen fades to black you get it, or at least I did... Although along the way I wanted to choke a few of the characters.
½ August 25, 2007
Good acting, but something wrong with the direction. Or maybe script just not that compelling for me.
½ August 19, 2007
Not one that I need to own, but I am glad to have seen it. The acting was great! I honestly couldn't decide who was hotter in this film... Kate Beckinsale, Christian Bale, or Frances McDormand... maybe that sounds crazy, but Frances was smokin' hot in this movie as Jane, the record producer. I enjoyed the film. I kind of got sucked into that world and felt impacted by the emotions of the characters.
½ May 14, 2007
Weird. A waste of time. The best part of the movie was the end where the rocker is lying on a pool float having a remote control boat pull him across the pool.
½ March 15, 2007
fell in love with all the characters' vulnerabilities and totally related to them...and oh yeah, christian bale is deeeeelish