• Unrated, 1 hr. 37 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Le Beau Serge Reviews

Chris B

November 1, 2011
Le Beau Serge is the first film by Claude Chabrol and in his debut creates a wonderful Drama with solid acting and amazing artistic characteristics. The film which was shot in his own childhood village really adds to the feel of the story and made for a beautiful location. In one of the supplementary features the Director now in his old age talks about going back there and how he does so often. Many of the actors meet one another in the village where many still reside to this day, what a fascinating and wonderful place! The story is one that is very down to earth and focuses on tough and emotional topics and make it a heart wrenching watch that is wonderful to view. This is a hugely influential film in the French New Wave, some argue it's the first, but either way it is truly a fascinating gem!
April 9, 2014
Well I have seen this contender for the title of "first french new wave film", along with "The 400 Blows" and "Breathless". (Some make a case for an Agnes Varda film as well - I'll check that out later) This is the bleakest of the three and seems like it forms the roots for a James Dean story. I understand it was heavily influenced by "Shadow of a Doubt". Very sparing and stripped down. It reminded a bit of my first Fellini movie, "La Strada" where I was expecting something flashier but grew to appreciate it over time after I got over my U.S. movie going training for over the top effects and visual tricks. In the same spirit of having neorealism grow on you, this film also grew on me while I was watching it. Cameos by Chabrol and Philippe de Broca. It was the first film made by the "Cashiers du cinema" crowd funded by a surprise inheritance. Not as many tricks in it as Godard, but a solid film nonetheless.
December 23, 2012
There seems to be a novelty within movies from the 1950's...one that captures your attention and affection regardless of the plot. Le Beau Serge was definitely one of those movies, which showcased the relationship between two friends and the emotions, guilt, and redemption shared between them. It evokes a sense of shared humanity and what makes it even better is the beautiful, charming city this movie is set in.
December 22, 2011
A very good debut film by Claude Chabrol, with a compelling story about friendship and strong performances by the two lead actors.
Chris B