60% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano) Reviews

Thomas J

September 23, 2010
Interesting idea for a movie but it drags a little.
Jason S

April 1, 2010
This is a large story told in a very small way. I liked it a lot but I really wish it had covered more of 1900's life as a whole instead of just the snippets we got. I would have liked to have seen more of how he lived on the ship such as reactions of others to him and his role.
The set direction is very good and all the roles were cast great. I liked the performances and over all I thought the movie was sound.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

January 18, 2008
OMG so cute!!!
Probably the most nicest, saddest, cutest movie ive watched in ages!
i was pleasently surprised by this movie i thought it would be an alrite movie but i thoroughly enjoyed this movie, its funny, great storyline, well written, great cast, fantastic acting and includes tim roth looking hot and acting brilliantly!!
the music soundtrack is also awesome and you can just fall in love with this movie!
Its beautiful about an orphan who is left on a ship and taken in by one of the steam guys but after his unfortunate death tim roth gets into playing the oiano and becomes a sensation but hes never stepped of the boat and can he manage it when he falls in love?!
Pruitt Taylor Vince tells the story of 1900 and revisits the ship but its about the blown up but is his friend stilll on the ship?
A gorgeous movie completely worth a watch!!
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 24, 2008
Well acted and directed but...seriously, just get off the damn boat already.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 3, 2007
a hidden treasure. the best movie noone has ever heard of. tim roth was superb and a few of the scenes were awe inspiring and brilliant.
Pierluigi P

June 7, 2007
The kind of gem Frank Capra would direct. Tornatore brings a bittersweet fable, with an immense Tim Roth and a magnificent soundtrack by il maestro Ennio Morricone. don't miss the duel between 1900 and Jelly Roll Morton, superb.
Christopher M

December 22, 2006
A fairytale-like story that requires a lot of imagination and patience and the ability to immerse yourself and suspend your disbelief. I enjoyed because I allowed myself to do that. This is the best role I've seen Tim Roth in and he did wonderfully. I also really appreciated seeing Pruitt Taylor Vince in a major role because I've only seen him in bit parts before and he was excellent in this movie, I'd like to see him more in bigger parts like this. The movie isn't without its flaws, but they are forgivable if you allow yourself to fall into the story without prejudice.
Rostron2
Rostron2

November 16, 2010
The art house film, for me can mean one of two things: Something unique that mainstream audiences won't watch, or an experiment in storytelling. The Legend of 1900, or 1900, is both of these categories. It's a fable about a man who lives out his life as a piano player aboard a transatlantic liner, and it's a very interesting story idea.

The beginning of the film is odd, with a narrator that looks like something out of a bad film noir. After this initial shock, he does voice one really beautiful moment when a liner full of immigrants comes into New York, and the passengers see the Statue of Liberty. If they had continued in that vein, the movie would have been really wonderful. However, the storytelling shifts rapidly to a jumbled collection of flashbacks from the life of the protagonist (Tim Roth) named...1900. Choppy and uneven as it is, Roth makes him a likeable character, but they introduce some very dull situations for 1900 to live through. There's so much great history to be found around ships like that, it was a shame they didn't exploit it. It disn't need drama, but 1900's character just doesn't adapt or change much. He accepts his life, and is resigned to his failures. He has a lot of them, and even a brief romance goes nowhere, it just sort of stops with nothing much dramatic about it. In fact, he doesn't exploit any of his successes either.

1900's life reaches its peak with a piano duel with Jelly Roll Morton, and after that the movie kind of ambles along, semi-propelled by the narrator Max. (who's rather annoying, like a bad Bogart cliche) But to no avail, the movie reaches a predictable climax, if that's what you can call it, and the move ends. I felt very let down, not because it wasn't happier or sadder just because it was so blah.

I'll say this: It has some good moments, and the character is interesting. Like I said above, it won't appeal to many people, but it's an odd little film, and might be worth a watch. It succeeds in being unique, but fails in its experimental storytelling.

The Statue of Liberty sequence is the best part, after that, you can turn it off, and not miss much. Or perhaps you will be intrigued. That's why I rate this one 50%: Your life, and your 2 hours is up to you. Make your choice to watch or not to watch, but for Gods sake do something, unlike Mr. 1900.
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

September 13, 2010
It?s a ?legend?=allow for allot of suspension of disbelief and you will be pleasantly rewarded (The plot is no way believable). Giuseppe Tornatore Crafts this story through the eyes of Pruit Taylor Vance (Rub from Nobody?s Fool) about Tim Roth (Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs), Both actors are in my opinion under rated and typically get cast in small limited character rolls. Beyond the relationship, the music and cinematography are beautiful. Roth?s character has a way of ad-libbing his music to match each person he looks at. Not really music I would find on my I-pod, but I?d like to find the sound track. At 2 Hours you really have to hole up to watch this movie and enjoy it.
RockabillySaint
RockabillySaint

September 9, 2006
I have never been so profoundly moved while watching a film as I was when I first saw this. It brought me to tears with practically every scene, even if it wasn't sad at all. Something about it is just so touching and infinitely tragic, and Tim Roth's performance is both humorous and saddening as the amazing piano player 1900. The ending especially really got to me, and just thinking about it is making me tear up. One of the most inspiring and just overall enjoyable films I have ever had the joy of seeing, and it is most definitely on my top ten best movies ever list.
May 14, 2014
Strange film about an artist in isolation. By turns funny, beautiful, but strangely hollow. Should be seen as either a fairy tale or a grand lie told by a broken down jazz player.
March 8, 2011
It has a different story. And Tarnatore usually films these kinds of stories perfectly and makes a masterpiece. This movie was also very Tarnatore-esque. And tracks by Ennio Morricone are wonderful. I was expecting to watch a new ''Cinema Paradiso''. But unfortunately it is not that good ! The movie has a heart in it but not a brain ! Logical errors can ruin a fine fantastic story. Tarnatore should be more careful with the story.
thereverendtholomewplague
January 5, 2010
Very good movie. A film about a man who lived on a boat for all his life who picked up an adroit skill to play the piano.
Was not a bad movie at all. It was pretty awesome to watch.
It definitely keeps your imagination going I'd say.
Humorous at times aswell.
Though the ending was pretty darned sad.
April 28, 2009
Really...Tim Roth makes this movie. Again...this is another movie that surprised me. It was much better than I expected.
October 21, 2007
I like to watch this movie off and on. It is so nice, one of my favorite Tim Roth movies of all time. It will have you using all emotions.
March 2, 2009
I feel kinda bad, that I don't see in this what most other flixter viewers saw. I didn't really like it but I didn't hate it either. There is one part that I REALLY liked though.

Max the trumpet player (and 1900's best friend) asks him where he gets the music from, that he plays without ever looking at a score. 1900 answers by pointing out people in the lounge where he is playing. He weaves a little story about them and then plays an improvised piano piece to match the story he's just told.

That was magical to watch! Best part of the movie but it only lasts about 5-10 minutes.

I'm not a jazz piano fan so the duel between 1900 and Jelly Roll Morton left me cold musically but made me cheer for the humble and polite 1900 when he kicked JRM's pompous ass!!!

I wanted more details too, in the end, as to how he came to be placed on the piano as a baby and by whom. What was his actual pedigree? Did his mother ever know of his talent? Minor details that don't fit with the story but still something I would've liked to know.

In the end, it was his life on the ship that made him too fearful to leave. He was so confined within finite space and circumstances that he couldn't stomach the notion of life without those finite barriers to shield, guide, direct and protect him. Infinite options and choices terrified him.

I won't spoil the ending but I could almost wish someone had spoiled it for me. I don't think I would have finished it if I'd known how it would end.

One more critique that I personally feel is vital. A lot of scenes in this movie take place in near total darkness. It is VERY frustrating to try and make out who it is, what they are doing, where they are going and what is happening in the scene when it is so dark.

Some of the piano playing is wonderful! I could live without the jazz. I didn't really believe that he was as well adjusted as was portrayed when he'd never known life aside from the ship he called home and the passengers he interacted with.

The overall feeling this movie left me with is melancholy, which is never something I strive for ~
February 12, 2007
This is a well done touching Drama that showcases the meaning behind friendship. Tim Roth and Pruitt Taylor Vince give amazing performances and the only time they don't indvidualy steal scenes is when they are on together and then they really shine. However the story is equally as engaging and unique as there performances. A true gem.
November 8, 2008
This really is a fantastically original story.
Told in a way to make you see 1900 from an outside persepective, you are constantly trying to figure out and get inside his complicated mind. The character itself is a brilliant creation. He doesn't function or think like the majority of the world, so it's so much fun to get inside his head.

And what's best is at the end of the film, you finally do.

It brought tears to my eyes.
Very whimsical and intellegent movie filled with symbolism of life and philosphy.

I ejoyed the end, but I didn't like the way the ending sequence was shot. The explosion was unnecessary and it would have been more powerful if shot differently.
jes25924
June 30, 2008
1900: "Take piano: keys begin, keys end. You know there are 88 of them. Nobody can tell you any different. They are not infinite. You're infinite... And on those keys, the music that you can make... is infinite. I like that. That I can live by..."
...(read more)
One of the best films I ever stumbled across, and one of the most underrated.
An orphan born on a ship in the year 1900, becomes a piano prodigy, and spends his life with the passangers and crew, unable or unwilling to set foot on land. Great film.
January 20, 2008
How can you not cry for such a tragic character?? Tim Roth was a charming tragic hero, a genius, he was on fire on the piano! And guess who wrote the music?? Ennio Morricone...enough said.