65% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Legend of Drunken Master (Jui kuen II) (Drunken Fist II) Reviews

Dan S

October 8, 2007
A successful sequel concerning a martial-arts master (Jackie Chan), who is at his best fighting wise only when he is drunk, and how he accidentally steals some valuable Chinese artifacts, all of which criminals are after. The plot isn't much, and sometimes the movie is goofy to the point of being annoying, but the martial-arts sequences are hands-down the best I have seen in a movie. It is an entirely familiar set-up and the ending is never in doubt, but for what it is worth, this is a fun movie worth a view simply for the stunning fight sequences, especially a loaded finale which only gets better. Chan is a likable personality, and it is easy to see why he became such a big star in America due to films like this.
Albert K

June 30, 2012
Your usual martial arts movie affair: dubbed voices, oppression running left and right, using the art of kung fu for peace, horrible narrative, etc. But this is undoubtedly Jackie Chan's greatest choreography put into film, ever.
TheGame90
TheGame90

August 4, 2008
It wasn't so good....I fell asleep at the end so I don't know how it ends.....but something tells me it's a happy ending
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

February 27, 2007
the first time i saw this film i liked it, the second time ive fallen in love with it. this film is about so much more than the kung fu, which was great, but the stunts in this film are incredibly impressive. the things chan is able to pull off are mind blowing, and the fact that everything needed to be timed so perfectly with so many other performers shows the artistic and difficult nature of the action. one of the most prolifically planned martial arts films ever.
Cassandra M

October 15, 2009
I'm a massive Jackie Chan fan. I have most of his films, and this has to be one of my absolute favourites.

The film is choc-full of memorable fights, and incredible stunts, some of which may cause you to yell out at the screen in mental anguish. The most incredible stunt has to be when Jackie is pushed onto white hot coals, and has to crawl backwards across the pit (apparently, he did this twice - ever the perfectionist).

The storyline is never the reason anyone would be gripped by a Chan film, but in this case, it's basic, yet more than acceptable.

The drunken boxing style is given a good go in this film, with Jackie demonstrating the style to magnificent effect. Watching this film, you certainly get a feel for Jackie's creativity and incredible ability to pull off some of the moves that simply no one else can perform. The sheer brilliance of some of his work in this film suggests that Chan never faltered from his quest for absolute perfection.

Overall, if you're a fan of Chan, then you'll probably adore this film. If you're a casual Chan fan (ie Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon) then this film will surely lighten up your knowledge of just how amazing this martial artist is.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

October 19, 2007
One of the best, if not the best, martial arts film ever made. Jackie Chan's skills, both at physicall comedy and of course at martial arts, are displayed here in full glory. Some of the best fights ever recorded on film, the teahouse brawl and the final duel are stuff to make legends from.

Ken Lo kicks a lot of ass too as the villian, wish he would had better roles (these days he usually appears as a mere extra in Jackie's films) and Anita Mui is very fun to watch. Lau Kar Leung direction is good, but credits for Jackie in that final segment, which he directed. Seems LKL didn't want it to be like that, and i seriously can't see the reason.

Go watch this if you haven't done yet, Jackie might had reach his peak with this ,but damn, what a way to reach it.
EightThirty .

April 23, 2007
Action, Comedy, Drama...Perfect!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 24, 2007
Jackie Chan's best and funniest movie :-)
kpn666
kpn666

March 3, 2007
Not as good as orignial - but real improved action!! the fight scenes r impressive!! especially when Jackie falls on the Hot COALS and drinks industrial OIL!!!
Beefy
Beefy

November 26, 2006
Slow in places, but the end fight scene is worth it.
deano
deano

September 6, 2006
Rapid action and funny on Chan's drunk acting than the original.
John B

May 30, 2010
I believe that I saw this when the film was re-released in North America to take advantage of the rise in Jackie Chan's star. This was probably the apex of his popularity. A fun film but with limits. I'm trying to remember the Chinese period piece that I saw in the same time period but it thoroughly ruined this film for me. The comparison wasn't even close.
Hassan V

May 9, 2012
Laugh and Gasp at the incredible physicality of Jackie Chan, whether he is scoffing a bottle of wine or rolling through fire. The final fight scene in this film is one of his best....
Joseph E

December 31, 2009
This is most likely his best work, and how it said that he did the fight choerograpohing himself, I think he should do that more often!
Curt C

February 17, 2006
This is the other one where Jackie Chan becomes invincible when he's drunk.
Ivan D

March 4, 2011
Simply put, Jackie Chan at his most relentless best, using every tricks from his disposal and utilizing almost all the prop techniques that he had shown in his documentary film "My Stunts" into great effect. Yes, it's Mr. Chan's finest moment, in terms of fight sequences.

But when we talk about the plot itself and the seemingly weird over-the-top response of the characters in certain situations(really, doing all of it for the sake of some pesky artifacts? Sending hordes of axe-wielding militia to attack an old man and an incompetent martial artist?), "The Legend of Drunken Master"(or "Drunken Master II" for those very concerned with continuity) still have some issues.

Jackie Chan, known for combining flawlessly choreographed fight scenes with slapstick comedy, has not faltered in a single scene, and at times, even convincingly shifting from overtly animated laugh riots into sudden dramatic pathos. Some may call this 'transitionally implausible" to execute. But for Jackie Chan(he's playing Wong Fei-hong in this film again, by the way), who's got lots more to cover than cheaply-conceived emotions(such as a stint on literally playing with the wonders of fire), nothing is complex when great 'timing' is involved.

This is martial arts cinema at its peak. No wires, no majestic philosophical notions about heaven and earth. Just the Buster Keaton-inspired Jackie Chan with lots of guts, a talent to showcase, and inserting the excitement and almost spell-bound sensation that I have felt while watching the climactic showdown in an extremely combustible steel factory, some breath to take.
Anthony V

June 8, 2007
One of his best movies.
Christopher B

January 31, 2007
Jackie's 2nd best and one of the best martial arts films of all time.
July 20, 2007
Jackie Chan stars in the Legend of Drunken Master, one of the few films to feature there drunken style of fighting. When it becomes evident that an embassy organization is stealing Chinese heritage, Chan fights to gain back and preserve his nation's history and culture. Drunken Master is not the best story, but does feature some of Chan's best action scenes particularly at the end with the fire and coals.