Léolo Reviews

½ January 28, 2008
A fantastic Canadian film, in both quality and content. Strange though, but in that lovely sort of way that draws you in. Basically it's the story of a highly intelligent boy growing up in a tenement in Montreal with his oddball, mostly insane, family, and the imaginary living dream world he creates for himself which is often hard to distinguish from reality. This is one of those poetic sort of films that are magical in a way, and hard to define, breathtaking at times, confusing at times, also - but ultimately rewarding. In any case, it`s a truly unique film that should be seen by an anyone with an appreciation for "off the beaten path" type films.
lesleyanorton
½ April 25, 2010
Canadian boy comes of age in nutty family. A strange film, a bit like watching something by a sedated Jean-Pierre Jeunet, with a heartbreaking ending.

From RHADYNASCIMENTO's favourites list
divinetrash
½ July 21, 2008
For a movie where defecating and masturbation have a surprising amount of screen time, this is a very whimsical and funny story about a dysfunctional family just trying to make it out alive. The script does a very good job of showing the world through the eyes of a young boy, accurately capturing the desperate nature with which we try to make sense of the world.
½ June 26, 2008
Because I dream, I am not.
Dracula787
½ November 7, 2008
Leolo was the second and final film from the French Canadian Jean-Claude Lauzon, who tragically died in a plane crash before making another film. This is a very hard film to describe, it?s sort of an absurdist journey through the mind of a mischievous youth. This kid, the title character is not a reliable narrator; in fact he makes up all kinds of crazy stuff. It?s apparently a fairly autobiographical film, except it?s told expressionistically rather than literally. The film is fairly episodic, it just goes through a number of the strangely perceived events in the kid?s life. It?s a hard movie to wrap your head around and a hard film to comment on without further study. It didn?t blow me away, but I definitely dug it.
½ May 21, 2012
A bizarre, compelling fantasy world of pre-pubescent emotions, revelations, and ambitions. Utterly fascinating and dreamlike.
March 28, 2010
this prime example of french-canadian magical realism has a very different feel than the spanish. the imagination of this young boy is captured brilliantly in his writing (told mostly through reflective narrative). I miss seeing films like this, and am glad that such examples do exist outside of Europe. The whole premise (& existence) of the boy is comical, but the movie explores in detail familiar family struggles, particularly with their minds. How precious the mind is; to be always protected, guarded and fed with (healthy) imagination.curious that i stumbled upon this DVD just after booking next month's trip to Montreal! Vive Le Quebec (dare say I "libre")!
½ October 16, 2009
Just could not get into this movie & after falling asleep a couple times, I just gave up & turned it off
June 21, 2009
A wonderful movie rich in fantasy and cynicism of a young boy who retreats in his dreams to escape his dysfunctional life.
½ October 7, 2008
Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would find another boy fathered in the same way - I finally have the connection I have been craving my entire life. Thank you, Leolo, thank you.
½ November 9, 2007
This is a film that's oddness is only matched by its sheer poetic beauty. Its nice to watch and offbeat movie that has a clear point of what its doing; and this did exactly that. I can easily recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a deep and complex film. Grows on you after viewing too. Simply put, its a must see for anyone aching for something unique... like a breath of fresh air.
July 15, 2007
I came across this movie one night while flipping channels - saw it on CBC channel. Only caught the last 40 minutes or so. It was not until many years later that I found this on video and was able to watch the entire film. What a craay coming of age film but one that I really enjoyed. This film is definitely not for the squeamish, and if you enjoy liver better skip the film as you may never enjoy it again. I loved the music from this film. i looked for years for the soundtrack - but have never found it.
March 26, 2007
NOT FOR EVERYONE. There's a heartfelt story here, but you have to sift through the madness. That's why it's one of my favorite films.
½ August 31, 2006
Very poetic and even disturbing here and there. I like movies like this. Surprised to hear the Rolling Stones in there.
½ August 30, 2006
Non-cookie-cutter type movie that has great acting and ingenious script. It got a little too strange towards the end though.
½ April 18, 2015
One of the best films of Canadian films. Leolo is soaked in a dizzying visual and poetic journey through the thoughts of a child. Bizarre, unattached, free as the imagination of Leolo own. Unmissable.
½ February 2, 2015
Glimmers of something great, but most of it lacks effect.
January 3, 2015
When a relly comes-of-age coming of age story with missoriented of real and fantasy world plus lunatic family-neighborhood setting delivered, it's resulting something strange, disturbing, imaginative and beautiful, even with its sad ending.