• R, 1 hr. 30 min.

Let's Go To Prison Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

January 28, 2011
John Lyshitski: If I had a nickel for every time I've been incarcerated... I'd have fifteen cents.

"Welcome to the slammer"

Let's Go To Prison is an incredibly stupid, set in prison comedy, with a second rate cast that carry a bad script like this. Will Arnett and Dax Shepard aren't funny enough to carry a bad comedy, and Let's Go To Prison shows that perfectly. There are a few funny moments, and I think I found this funnier than I should have, but there's no deny how truly awful the movie is.

John is a repeat offender who has been sentenced by the same judge three times. When he gets out of prison for a short time, he wants to get back at the judge. Too bad, the judge just died. So instead, he goes after the judges son. When Nelson(the son) is sentenced to go to prison for a misunderstanding, John goes back to prison on purpose, to make Nelson's life a living nightmare. In prison, we see characters ranging from skinheads to big, black guys that want to violate Nelson. It's all rather routine, and the jokes are hit and miss. Mostly miss.

There was a time four or five years ago, when I watched this with a friend while passing a bong. Damn we thought it was the funniest thing ever. I watched it again a few years later, and wondered how I could have found it so funny. Now, watching it again, I could barely make it through the whole thing. It isn't a comedy that works well after multiple viewings. Hell, it isn't a comedy that works well for one viewing.

Pretty much just terrible all the way across the board. The jokes are obvious, the characters oddly dull, and the situations seem like they were thought up by some 12 year old. But what should really expect from a comedy that has Will Arnett in a leading role. It can't be good, and it isn't. If there's a reason to watch it, it is to see just how bad comedies can get.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 24, 2010
Welcome to the slammer

Purely a comedy that isn't very funny but entertains at least with some wild crappy things that only in jail could happen. This is just a movie to watch to joke around with your friends while you watch it, it's not meant to take seriously at all.

John Lyshitski is a car stealing slacker, with a weed problem, and has been in Illinois' Rossmore State Penitentiary so many times, he knows it's entire population of both staff and cons by their fast names. Cursed with the old ill luck of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, in possession of the wrong car, he's been deemed a lost cause repeat offender in the eyes of everyone else. When the heartless judge, who has been behind most of his sentences, goes to the big court house in the sky, John decides to ruin the man's legacy by having the judge's only offspring, Nelson Biederman IV, thrown in the slammer along with him. Here, the world-class selfish jerk learns a certain old lesson the hard way: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. But has John somewhat gone too far in the payback department?
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 24, 2011
Let's go to prison is a borderline average comedy. I did enjoy the film somewhat, but the humour is hit and miss. This could have been a terrific comedy, but it manages to only provide a few humorous quips here and there, but never manages to give you laugh out loud moments. But for some reason, I can't quite dislike this film. Despite the fact that the story is paper thin, the acting is not great whatsoever and theres not really anything going for it. But for some strange reason, I like it. I Let's Go To Prison is a comedy that small on laughs, even smaller on story. The characters aren't loveable, but theres something about this film that I like. I guess I like it because it doesn't try hard enough, it's a simple comedy with a simple idea, and it's nothing elaborate. Dax Shepard who usually is pretty funny gives a mediocre performance and so does Will Arnett, whom I think is fairly annoying here. But I guess thats the whole point. (Personally, I never really like him or found him funny). Chi McBride is sort of miscast here too. Let's go to prison had the potential of being a very good comedy, but the end result is a comedy thats borderline decent and is what I ultimately consider a guilty pleasure
Jani H

June 29, 2008
"... quilty. - You mean guilty?"

Watch two annoying men, whom you've got no interest of, hang out in prison and swindle (that's a cool word) their way out of prison.

I'll admit, there's some funny scenes but they're more of a reminder of something funny I've seen earlier in other movies.
Bobby H

May 26, 2008
This movie is halarious. The plot was very creative, the actors all did great jobs, and its unpredictable. It's everything anyone who enjoys a good comedy would want in a movie.
Besides maybe those who has really been to Prison.. heh..
Michael G

October 27, 2006
Completely ridiculous and silly, but also very funny. Will Arnett plays the perfect millionaire cheesedick asshole, Dax Shepard is actually funny and Chi McBride steals the show. And to top it off it's written by Reno 911 cast members and directed by Bob from Mr. Show. You won't flip out but you'll laugh. I flipped out. This movie's also the worst thing to happen to wine since Sideways.
Beefy
Beefy

March 17, 2007
I kept waiting for the big laughs, but it never really got more than amusing.
Rico Z

December 13, 2006
I was expecting so much with this movie. After seeing Will Arnett's talent on the bitingly original and terribly overlooked television show Arrested Development; I thought this movie (who's theme SEEMED similar to AD's) would be much better than it turned out to be. Now, in no way is the film bad because of Arnett or any of the other actors. They all do a great job at conveying the angst and humor in being locked-up (and the situations that ensue.) But this movie suffered from a terrible director (who didn't take advantage of the actors' talent) and shoddy editing team that made the movie seem too long, choppy, disjointed and--plain boring.

The movie would've been a great idea for a short or even a television pilot. But not a movie. There wasn't enough of a story to stretch out into the 80-something minutes this movie was. By the time the end comes, you're thinking that it was about an hour too long. Most of the film (which was meant to be a satire of the prison system) is laugh-less and moves at a pace that doesn't allow for character development or even sequence development.

All in all, I would say: rent this movie and check it out for yourself. But I wouldn't even go that far. I found it to be a waste of time and felt sorry for the actors (especially for Will Arnett) for having wasted their time and talents on a such a worthless project such as this one. Better luck next time, Will. Skip prison--Let's Go See Something Else!
Aaron N

October 4, 2006
We should be cellmates. I don't snore, and I'm a quiet masturbator. Hell, I'll even give you the top bunk.

This could have been a much better movie. There were a lot of good chances to have this turn into a social commentary about the prison system. It also could have made a good parody movie about prison movies in general. Nope, instead it just goes very low brow, has long moments of nothing being funny at all, and stretches its premise out to long. Too bad.
Dann M

July 18, 2013
Let's Go to Prison is an outrageously hilarious goofball comedy. The story follows career criminal John Lyshitski who seeks to get revenge on the judge that kept sending him away by getting his son, Nelson Biederman IV, sent to prison, and then joins him so that he can revel in Nelson's misery. Starring Dax Shepard, Will Arnett, Chi McBride, and Michael Shannon, the casting's quite good. And, the raw, no-holds-barred comedy is wickedly funny, and even provides some clever satire. At times the film gets a little too cartoonish, and the production value is fairly cheap. While all of the jokes may not land, Let's Go to Prison is a hysterical comedy that delivers a ton of laughs.
stevetheman1236
stevetheman1236

August 15, 2011
Pretty funny, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the films flaws, which there are plenty of. It's like the retarded cousin of "Shawshank".
Yinalí R

February 2, 2008
Stupid.
William G

November 18, 2006
A considerably laughless, constantly misguided, and thoroughly half-assed comedy.
Stephen E

November 29, 2011
t h o m !

December 15, 2006
A couple of chuckles here and there, but ultimately... Will Arnett you let me down.
Remi L

January 16, 2009
Hilarious! I've seen this movie so many times it's ridiculous!
Patrick D

August 26, 2007
I actually really like how this movie plays out. It's really entertaining and hilarious, but I mean Dax Shepard and Will Arnett and fucking hilarious is whatever they are it. It starts out kind of political yet kinda drops that really quickly. It's oddly directed by a great comedy writer Bob Odenkird who you may know from Mr. Show along with David Cross who I figured wrote the film when I heard he directed it, but he does a pretty good job. I gotta say I really quite liked it.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 7, 2007
Surprisingly funny but still not that great.
Wu C

March 7, 2007
Funny flick. Dax Sheppard is good as a con.