Liar Liar (1997)
Average Rating: 6.9/10
Reviews Counted: 53
Fresh: 43 | Rotten: 10
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 7.5/10
Critic Reviews: 17
Fresh: 15 | Rotten: 2
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 914,165
An attorney who tells the truth for 24 hours straight? This has got to be the movies! Fletcher Reede (Jim Carrey) is a lawyer obsessed with his career, and he's devoted his life to bending the truth to his advantage. This habit has broken up his marriage to Audrey (Maura Tierney) and isn't doing much good for his relationship with his young son Max (Justin Cooper). Fletcher repeatedly promised Max that he'll be there for Max's eighth birthday party, but when an important assignment comes up at
Jun 1, 1997 Wide
Jan 20, 1998
Watch It Now
Judge Marshall Stevens
Randall "Tex" Cobb
Woman in the Elevator
Conference Room Attorne...
Close to an ideal jumping-off point for Carrey, who spends the better part of an hour grotesquely physicalizing his scummy lawyer's struggle with being obliged to utter cold, hard facts.
Pretty rudimentary, but it keeps Carrey's occasional over-exuberance in check and delivers likeable, effective, but decidedly mainstream comedy.
Like Robin Williams, Carrey has learned to do his side-splitting shtick in character. He's not only under control, but funnier than ever as the truth-impaired Fletcher Reede.
...Liar Liar stands to make a liar out of those who predicted that Carrey's career was on the skids.
As Carrey's celebrated rubber does its patented act, the flick turns into a gyrational marathon -- mildly funny but seriously exhausting.
A lot of fun, especially when Carrey reels off an entire lifetime's worth of driving offences to a nearby cop.
A product that has nothing, zero, zip going for it besides the presence of its star.
Entregando-se com uma energia assustadoramente feroz ao personagem, Jim Carrey comprova mais uma vez seu dom para a comédia física e transforma O Mentiroso em um filme simplesmente hilário.
Strong on premise, the film is short on plot.
While the ending is a little too syrupy for my taste, it is still a very funny film, mostly because of Carrey's antics.
The effect is surprisingly touching. No matter what you think of his humor, by gum, the man works hard.
Finds an amusing premise and beats the hell out of it, propelling it into one hysterically funny situation after another.
Carrey's willingness to do anything for a laugh, like pounding his head with a toilet seat, almost pays off.
- Fletcher Reede: You brought your kids to your divorce?
- Samantha Cole: Sympathy.
- Fletcher Reede: Well, it's working. I feel sorry for them already.
- Jerry: I'm so crooked that I have to screw my pants on when I get dressed in the morning.
- Fletcher Reede: Your honor, I object!
- Fletcher Reede: STOP BREAKIN' THE LAW, ***HOLE!
- Miranda: That was incredible! Was it good for you?
- Fletcher Reede: I've had better.
- Miranda: [angrily throws him out of office]
- Fletcher Reede: I've had BETTER?
- Fletcher Reede: Hi. New in the building?
- Woman in the Elevator: Oh yeah, I just moved in Monday.
- Fletcher Reede: Oh! You like it so far?
- Woman in the Elevator: Mmmhmm. Everybody's been real nice.
- Fletcher Reede: Well, It's cause you have big jugs. I mean your boobs are huge! I mean, I wanna squeeze em'! OH! Mama! [smoochie noises]
- Woman in the Elevator: [smacks his head hard]
There are no discussion threads for Liar Liar yet.
Latest News on Liar Liar
February 22, 2007:Box Office Guru Preview: Jim Carrey Aims to Terrify Moviegoers
Following a busy holiday weekend when five new releases opened nationwide, the crowded marketplace...
June 28, 2006:A Few Peeks at the "Almighty" Evan
When is it OK to sequelize a Jim Carrey flick without Jim Carrey? When you have someone like Steve...
March 21, 2006:"Almighty" Sequel Begins Shooting in D.C.
Filming has begun on the hilarious comedy "Evan Almighty," starring Steve Carell, Morgan...