Life Support - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life Support Reviews

February 6, 2009
Queen Latifah plays a uncommon serious role in this movie. She portrays Ana Wallance who is strugging with the AID's Virus, while trying to help others in an age out reach group, she also struggles to help herself cope with the disease as well as help the family around her cope with the relation too it.

It's a five star movie. You can tell it was on a tight budget, but the movie over comes that and makes use of what it has. In the heart of Brooklyn we see the harsh reality's of poverty and those who suffer with the AID's virus today.

The movie is very educational and only inspires those who have it - to let others know, and those who dont, to be tested. People need to reach out to one another and save lives and this movie is a perfect example to lead the way.

I was impressed by this films inspiration, guts, heart, and reality. Following a true life story it makes for as inspiration on life as it does on the big screen.
Harlequin68
June 25, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]Inspired by a true story, "Life Support" is about Ana(Queen Latifah) who works for AIDS Outreach dishing out condoms and getting the word out. She and her husband, Slick(Wendell Pierce), are both recovering drug addicts who have been clean for years and are HIV positive. Each morning they take their respective medications as their nine-year old daughter, Kim(Rayelle Parker), gets ready for school. Ana's older daughter, Kelly(Rachel Nicks), lives with her grandmother(Anna Deavere Smith). A childhood friend of Kelly's, Amare(Evan Ross), is HIV positive and has gone missing...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]While more a public service announcement than a narrative feature, "Life Support" is still worthwhile for covering ground on how AIDS has affected the African American community which is rarely covered these days.(I was especially curious about the female condom.) Believable characters, good performances and a nice use of Brooklyn locations definitely help. The message is that AIDS is not automatically a death sentence anymore. So, there is little point in dwelling on the past, when we should be concerned in the present while having hope for the future. The movie even has a couple of good words for women's basketball. [/font]
April 4, 2007
Very good. Powerful. Real.
June 14, 2014
I love Queen Latifah. and I realize how important the subject matter is, but I just could not bring myself to enjoy this movie. The production quality is poor, to the point of being distracting. The whole thing is very slow moving and far too understated, and that takes away whatever power the story may have had. I was disappointed.
March 15, 2010
I liked this mostly because of Queen Latifah, who not only shows that she can be a serious actress, but can truly rock a lead role.
½ September 16, 2008
This movie is about a woman and her everyday life coping with Aids and her family. And how she becomes this advocate about Aids.
½ May 8, 2008
I'd have to say this film was 1 of queen latifah's best!!! She was very real in this film I enjoyed watching it!!!
½ March 25, 2008
The true-life story of a mother who overcame an addiction to crack and became a positive role model and a AIDS activist in the black community. Based on the true story of a mother who as a rack cocaine addict became infected by her boyfriend's indiscriminate use of a shared needle and with the discovery of her sero-positive status turned her life around to become a powerful positive role model and AIDS activist in the black community. Ana Willis (Queen Latifah in a sterling performance) is married to Slick (Wendell Pierce), both of whom are HIV positive and both work, living with their young daughter Kim (Ravelle Parker) and trying to cope with their estranged daughter Kelly (Rachel Nicks) who elects to live with her grandmother, Ana's beleaguered mother (Anna Deavere Smith). Kelly and Ana are at odds and their strained relationship is one of the evidences of the cruelties of the aftermath of ex-addicts manner of going straight. Kelly's closest friend is Amari (Evan Ross) who is gay and is very ill with AIDS. Kelly asks for Ana's help when Amari disappears and it is through this act that the story plunges forward into the self help groups of AIDS patients Ana chairs, Ana's visit to Amari's boyfriends such as MJ (Darrin Dewitt Henson) who is very much on the down low, and Ana's ultimate finding herself as a mother, a wife, a caregiver and a fine activist in doing her part to prevent the spread of the dread disease form which she suffers.
March 18, 2008
I cried when Evan Ross' character died, and I cried when I heard that he was playing gay. *tear* But...it was a good movie. Even Ross and all of the charaters did their thing.
November 14, 2007
i loved this movie!!
it's up lifting and sad/depressing at the same time.
I think that Queen Latifah did a fonaminal job!!
½ September 9, 2007
At times, I felt this was more of an AIDS educational video than I did a movie but it still held my interest. One of the few movies where I've ever seen Queen Latifah play a serious role!
½ July 31, 2007
The actors in this film were so life-like. The message was powerful. Queen Latifah was very powerful and believable in this role. I loved the idea that Tracy Ellis Ross and Evan Ross (true life siblings) played beside one another as estranged siblings.
June 8, 2007
i finally saw this film, and boy it touched my soul. Queen Latifah played a deep & powerful role. i had tears by the end of the movie
April 17, 2007
i cry every time. at first i didnt like it because evan ross, my favorite actor, was playin a gay guy but now i see how talented he really is.
April 4, 2007
Very good. Powerful. Real.
June 14, 2014
January 28, 2014
Queen Latifah is a genuine and she plays her role as if it were her own.
April 27, 2013
not as good as previous 2 *cube* movies.. having more cliche storyline.. still quite interesting and watchable :)
November 1, 2012
great movie aware people
April 18, 2012
This movie is so great yea it's sad I dropped sum tears my bae enjoyed it to (: