• PG-13, 1 hr. 40 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

Like Dandelion Dust Reviews

Michael S

February 17, 2013
"LIKE DANDELION DUST" is an emotive family drama that could have easily been renamed "The Underrated Actor's Club." Barry Pepper, Mira Sorvino, and the equally strong Cole Hauser are all phenomenal here, and display full well why it's a crime they aren't bigger names in the business. Pepper and Sorvino (provided with the more showy roles) are particularly award worthy; it's just a shame the film itself flew so far under the radar. This isn't a movie to see because of it's filmmaking or any other technical merit; it's one to see for it's faultless ensemble and it's simple story that hits home. Sure to go down lost in the anals of cinema, "Like Dandelion Dust" nevertheless deserves to find an audience.
familiar s

September 22, 2011
An emotional drama which neither has enough emotional moments nor comic situations (the humor quotient which is generally present in this kind of film). An unoriginal plot and dull execution are its major flaws. As for the performances, I only found the kid playing Joey worth a mention!!!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 15, 2010
Cast: Mira Sorvino, Barry Pepper, Cole Hauser, Kate Levering, Maxwell Perry Cotton, L. Scott Caldwell, Abby Brammell, Kirk B.R. Woller, Brett Rice, Brooke Bryan

Director: Jon Gunn

Summary: Jack (Cole Hauser) and Molly Campbell (Kate Levering) are horrified to learn that the biological father (Barry Pepper) of their adopted son, Joey (Maxwell Perry Cotton), has been released from prison and wants custody of the boy. As the legal case builds against the Campbells, the couple hatches a risky plan to save their family.

My Thoughts: "What an amazing, powerful, emotional film. The story is done with such heart and depth that you get swept away in it. The suffering and pain coming from both sets of parents is overwhelming. You can't help but feel for all four of them, including the confused son that is thrown in the middle of it. I had a hard time keeping a dry eye in this film. It just hits hard for those who are not just adopted parents, but just parents alone. The performances are exceptional by all but Mira Sorvino is just brilliant in the film. Barry Pepper turns in a great performance as well. The film didn't have a very big release and not many people have heard of the film. But I guarantee it is not one to be missed or overlooked."
Cynthia S

August 8, 2011
Oh my goodness. This was such a wonderful movie! A perfect gem. Amazing portrayals by ALL actors; totally believable, absorbing plot; interesting, adult dialogue; and characters that are developed perfectly. Kudos to all involved!
Alice S

November 9, 2010
I was excited to see a limited release at my mainstream movie theatre, but this burning ember is a bit too indie, a bit too emotionally-manipulative. I swear, there is not one scene in which somebody's eyes are not shrink-wrapped in tears. The story starts really slowly - fitting all the exposition in, setting up the poor dad/rich dad dichotomy - before getting to the central conflict of the birth parents wanting their birth child back from the adopted parents.

The ending, however, espouses more of my personal philosophies. Religion - while uplifting and necessary for some - isn't something to desperately cling to, especially when the only way to save you and yours demands an act of immorality.

Also, Wendy's decision at the end is the right thing to do - predictable but right - and I'm glad she gets in perhaps the most powerful line of the movie, "Is that what you'll teach our son? That poor people can be bought?"
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

March 18, 2011
A good and thought provoking movie, but the balance is off. The dragging you through the storyline style really prevented me from truly connecting with any of the characters. Besides the brief opening scene where the son and adopted father are sailing in his sailboat and maybe a few other scenes you are dragged through exposition without a pause. I am glad it has a positive ending, after all that tension I really need a feel good ending.
February 26, 2011
I loved the book that this movie is based on. I thought it was a little better than the movie. Sometimes I felt the movie was just kind of slow.... But overall they did a great job with it!
June 16, 2011
Biological Parents Wendy & Rip Porter (Mira Sorvino & Barry Pepper)try to get their Son back when Rip learns his name was forged to Adoption Papers while he was in Prison.The Child,Joey(Maxwell Perry) is now 6yrs old, with Wealthy Parents Molly & Jack Campbell(Kate Levering & Cole Hauser) who adore him to the extreme.The Judge decides to ease him into the new parents by not telling him till the 3rd(out of town)visit.Your heart breaks as this proves hard on the child as well as the adoptive parents & you wonder what the Judge can be thinking after all, these wonderful parents are all he has ever known, & HELLO, his biological father went to PRISON for abuse, which eventually rears it's ugly head.This Film tugs at your very human heart strings as you sympathize with both sides.
jrkdugan
September 6, 2010
Can't wait for the release of this movie. I plan on seeing it the first weekend it is shown in my area. Then, I plan on buying the DVD so I can watch it whenever I want.
jajolly4221
August 30, 2010
I was able to see a sneak preview of the film in Bloomington, IN a couple of months ago. Quality performances from great actors. I cannot WAIT for it to hit theaters so my friends can see it as well!!
angelagwalker
August 23, 2010
Probably the best dramatic film of the year. Mira Sorvino is heart-breaking as a mother who has to choose between her husband and her son. Cole Hauser in the most sympathetic role to date. Maxwell Perry Cotton is AWESOME as Joey. You don't want to miss this movie!
kcabs05
August 23, 2010
AMAZING and compelling movie. This is a film people will be talking about for a long time! Every theater in America should be requesting this film.
jenlhayes
August 22, 2010
I saw a special sneak preview of this movie following The Baxter Family Reunion in June. I loved it!
morrowpal
August 22, 2010
One of the most thought provoking films in years. An ABSOLUTE MUST SEE movie that is already getting Oscar buzz.
September 8, 2014
fresh performances, and a riveting storyline that twists and turns, ending up where you would never have thought... Excellent!!
May 9, 2013
The film is quiet predictable, but we cannot deny how good the performances were, The child sometimes overacted(remember that moment when he had to cry his heart out) in the end it is well-known story but the performaces make the film better.
February 25, 2013
A potent meditation on family, adoption, and redemption. Well acted and sensitive.
July 26, 2012
Very hard to watch due to being quite emotional