The Lion King 2 - Simba's Pride (1998)
Movie InfoDarrell Rooney directed this direct-to-video sequel to Disney's 1994 The Lion King, which climaxed with Simba (voice of Matthew Broderick) enthroned as the ruling king of beasts following the death of the evil Scar. With the spirited tune He Lives in You, Simba and his mate Nala (Moira Kelly) issue a triumphant announcement of the birth of Lion Princess Kiara (Neve Campbell)! Given to misadventures and mischief, Kiara wanders into the forbidden Outlands, the haunt of Scar's exiled minions, and there she encounters another mischievous cub, Kovu (Jason Marsden), son of lioness Zira (Suzanne Pleshette), once a close friend of the late Scar and now the leader of the exiles. Zira plots against Kiara, drawing her son into her scheme. Kovu has divided loyalties as his love for Kiara deepens. Several original characters (and original voices) from the 1994 film return. ~ Bhob Stewart, Rovi … More
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Critic Reviews for The Lion King 2 - Simba's Pride
It's a fun story that actually gives something more to the characters than most sequels do, from the animated Disney line or not.
An ineffective sequel in the two ways that are most important: it does not live up to the original's visual legacy, and it does not expand the characters or setting in a meaningful or consistent way.
Better than countless animated films that have received big-screen releases.
Audience Reviews for The Lion King 2 - Simba's Pride
While the first Lion King was what re-established Disney as a great studio, and it became a classic of the company, this sequel was pointless, unnecessary and overall stupid. This was clearly made to make a buck on the stature of the original film, and it was clear that there was no thought into how to would make an effective, fun and memorable sequel to The Lion King. There was absolutely nothing worth mentioning about this film, except it's a poorly written film with a boring, mediocre story. At least the animation is nice as usual; unfortunately the film has no substance for its plot. The first Lion King was a great film, but this sequel simply fails because of a poor story and an unconvincing cast. I know it's all animated, but the voice actors seem bored here, and the film just fails in terms of continuing the story of the first. Stick with the first film and avoid this film because there is nothing to please fans of the first film. If only there would have been more effort into making this film. The end result is a mediocre film that fails to be fun and entertaining. Just because it's a Disney film, doesn't necessarily mean it's good. The Lion King 2 Simba's Pride is a missed opportunity to make a good sequel to a great film. This film is mediocre and doesn't stand out, which is a shame because because The Lion King was such a great film for people of all ages.More
A boring and dumb sequel that should not have been made, but i loved it as a kid so kids might get a kick out of it.More
Th song's are actually quite good. This film is so under rated, its better then anything disney have put out after 2004More
The Lion King 2 - Simba's Pride Quotes
- No! Dad! Just A Little Farther!
- [Scar's Physical form latches onto simba] GOTCHA!! Trust Me...
- Simbaaaaaaaaaaaa! [falls from Gorge]
- NOOOOOOOO! Scar! [Scar transforms into Kovu] Kovu? [Kovu throws simba down after Mufasa]
- I don't think this is going to work, But I trust you. I just hope you know what you're doing...
- Stay out of this!
- Daddy this has to stop, a wise king once told me we are one I didn't understand him then, now I do.
- But us them..
- Them us look at them they ARE us what differences to you see?
- Who do you think you are?
- I think I'm the one who just saved your life!
- What do we do? What do we do?
- There's one thing, Pumbaa. 'When the going gets tough, the tough get going.' That's our motto.
- I thought our motto was, 'Hakuna Matata.'
- Pumbaa, stop living in the past! We need a new motto. Yee-haw. [both screaming 'for war,' lion roars at them, both scream] Like I said, 'let's get going!
- Just us and the little guy.
- [laughing] It's a girl.
- Oh, a girl?!
Discuss The Lion King 2 - Simba's Pride on our Movie forum!