Little Otik - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Little Otik Reviews

½ September 18, 2012
An infertile couple pretend a tree stump is a baby, but trouble arises when it comes to life and needs to be fed. The laughs are as twisted as the gnarled roots little Otik uses to grab his dinner in this black comedy adaptation of a European folktale with hints of horror and flecks of surrealism.
January 12, 2009
Little Shop of Horrors, with a Czech twist. An off-beat (to say the least) rendering of a fanciful fairy tale. Consider this a rave review for a ravenous root. :)
½ May 14, 2009
Like merging Lynch's The Grandmother & Eraserhead and making it more straightforward but also more twisted at the same time
May 9, 2009
Yet another reason for not having kids ever.
July 8, 2007
Dark Czech fairy tale about a couple who long for a child so much that they go crazy and produce a monster. It would be a disturbing horror movie if not for the comical stop-motion animation. Not very engrossing.
May 22, 2007
Based on a Scandanavian children's story, but more Roald Dahl than Dr. Seuss. Kinda comedic, but in a twisted way. A strange story about a log of wood that the infertile "parents" treat as a real child. It eventually comes alive and eats all the neighbors, getting larger with each meal. The mother treating this hunk of wood like a real child, including breastfeeding it, is as creepy as it is bizarre. A darker but similar film to Little Shop of Horrors.
½ February 18, 2007
A fantastically original and twisted film. A husband gives his wife a stump to care for as a joke, but it soon comes alive and starts eating people. Surreal but enjoyable. This small horror/comedy is a rare treat.
½ September 15, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "Little Otik," Bozena(Veronika Zilkova) and Karel(Jan Hartl) are an infertile couple who desperately want a child of their own.(Maybe they could adopt one?) To console his wife, Karel carves a doll out of a tree trunk near their cottage which Bozena starts treating like a real baby. Then, she announces her pregnancy to her neighbors...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]I remember hearing that "Eraserhad" was about David Lynch's trepidation at becoming a father for the first time. And I was thinking about that while watching Jan Svankmajer's "Little Otik." And certainly in Otik's growth and transformation, I could see definite signs of a parents' fears of starting a family. In the end, this is a dark fairy tale done in an imaginative way especially the mother of all hysterical pregnancies.[/font]
½ December 20, 2011
Could have been a fantastic, innovative film if not for a "protagonist" so despicable and revolting that I spent half the film wishing for the nosy, disrespectful, spoiled little brat's demise (the little girl.)
½ January 29, 2009
I am sure there is an audience out there for this type of film, but I just wasn't it. Didn't care for it, plus I felt it was really long.
May 31, 2014
An adult fairy tale based on a Czech folk story. It's a darkly twisted allegory that gives "family tree" a whole new meaning (sorry could not resist).
November 22, 2009
Otesnek, also known as Little Otik or Greedy Guts, is a 2000 surrealist film by Czech couple Jan vankmajer and Eva vankmajerov. The movie is a comedic live action, stop motion-animated feature film set mainly in a poor apartment building in the Czech Republic. Yes Bizarre is the right word for this film. Otik is almost an authentic fairy story, dealing as it does with the yearning for what is impossible and a rebellion against the real. It is a story of a loving but childless couple, Karel and Bozena whose biggest dream is to have a baby. To make his wife smile, Karel digs up a tree root and carves it to look like a human baby. So overwhelming is Bozena's wish to become a mother that by its power, the stump transforms into a living creature with enormous appetites. The baby formula and carrot soup are not enough to feed the little monster and mysteriously, people begin to disappear. Otik the baby becomes the misshapen cannibal log baby. Czech filmmaker Jan Svankmajer creates a unique blend of live-action and animation. The film is cautionary tale about the dangers of being consumed by one's deepest desires and how the routines of middle-class living rob a person's imagination. In this film one of the main characters is an animated stick figure or clay figure. "Little Otik" is too strange not to turn off some, but for those who can go the increasingly macabre distance, its sheer power can confound and enthrall. This is a fable. "Little Otik" is handmade; cobbled together from dirt, wood, imagination he is almost a dream. The directors' animation does not have the polished look of digitized Hollywood extravaganzas, but a curious, unruly life to them which I found infinitely more interesting. Svankmajer has used the mediums of film and animation to question the possibilities that blur the line between fable and reality. Really the film becomes one that deals (in a satirical way) with the Western world's obsession with breeding and children. The plot is fairly absurd-they are raising a tree stump as a baby. But after all the director is a surrealist. It is the strangest tale of maternal love I could have ever imagined. The movie effectively demonstrates that, no matter how monstrous your child may be, any amount of justification will be employed to protect it. It is a very sick and frightening parody of a fable. In the end the film becomes rather tedious but I still LOVED IT This is as weird a movie as I have seen in quite a while.. 4 stars but not for all viewers.
November 11, 2007
Lots of brutal little moments we have all seen or heard about in real life that we know to be "true". I'm not smart enough to understand what this film is really about. But it was twisted enough to keep my attention and I still ponder it on occasion.
½ March 15, 2008
Crazy terrifying. Usually this would be right up my alley, but there was a line somewhere that was crossed (maybe when the baby-root-creature was suckling on the mother...).
September 8, 2007
Maybe I just didn't get it... but I lost interest fast in this one. I love weird films; but this was just straight up crazy... and not in a funny or interesting way... just crazy. I can't really reccomend it; probably the worst film I've seen in the last few months.
March 8, 2007
I happened on this movie by chance and fell in love with it. A childless couple's longing for a child comes true in the most bizarre of ways. If you like something different this is definitely it.
The movie is Czechoslovakian with English subtitles directed by Jan Svankmajer who has joined my list of favorite directors.
½ October 25, 2015
A childless couple have tried everything, but they just don't get children. As a light pun the man digs up a root looking like a little boy. His wife takes it really seriously and things are settled. They have a stick as a kid.

The stick also turn out to be a huge challenge, not only for the parents, but also the rest of the block. Well acted and super characters makes it even more interesting. Weird and disturbing. Spooky and creative. Funny and adventure-like. This film is like no other, and very hard to describe. It's very far out, bizarre but beautiful.

It moves a bit slow and I really miss more of Svankmajers superb animations. While other films of his are more driven by animations, this is a lot more plot-driven. The plot is very cool but his fantastic ability to make objects move and morph is more rewardable for me.

I'm very glad I saw it. Not only for it's uniqueness but the ability to make a story like this so "natural". Still the production looks pretty poor. The colors are gray and dull and the pace makes it boring at times. It's a bit too long.

7.5 out of 10 pervy old men.
May 13, 2013
Masterpiece. Unforgettable!
October 20, 2013
"Bizarre" is the best word to describe this film.