63% Hercules Jul 25

Little White Lies Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 14, 2013
While one of their members is ailing, a group of friends proceeds with their yearly vacation.
This film is a modern French version of The Big Chill. One can even draw one-to-one comparisons between the characters: Francois Cluzet's character = Kevin Kline's character, Jean Dujardin's character = Kevin Costner's character, Marion Cotillard's character = a combination of Meg Tilly's and Mary Kay Place's characters. It even has many of the same songs. It's okay to imitate, especially when a film is imitating one of the best, and The Big Chill is a superior film. But there are two important aspects of comparison that I consider relevant to evaluating Little White Lies. First, The Big Chill's characters could be reduced to types, but by the end of the film, the individual qualities of these character cause them to rise above the cliche type: the philosophical justifications behind Jeff Goldblum's character make him more interesting than the horny guy type. The same is true with Little White Lies; the scene outside Lea's apartment in Paris makes Gilles Lillouche's character more interesting than his horny guy type. This is where the French version succeeds, but The Big Chill, in addition to being an interesting film in itself, it's also a cultural critique, capturing the ennui and disappointment and failures of the Baby Boomer generation. It may be that Little White Lies makes a similar cultural critique for French audiences, but it doesn't translate, and including the sixties nostalgia songs that graced The Big Chill only serves to muddy the film's message.
Overall, this is a strong film with excellent performances and esprit de corps, but the film's larger context makes it less than its idols.
Carlos M

November 20, 2010
With a first-rate cast and a great soundtrack, this is a compelling film that already begins in an impressive plan-séquence. Warm-hearted and funny, though with a maudlin conclusion, it centers on a group of characters who are flawed and entirely human - like they should be.
Emile T

May 22, 2011
Some of the best character development I've ever seen.
Also, this is the first movie that ever made me cry in theatres.
I pretty much loved it and decided to overcome its flaws, which actually allow the viewer to omit them only if they have a heart. Cause this movie is going straight for yours.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 26, 2011
"Call yourselves friends? You buy into each other's lies."

Every year, Max, a successful restaurant owner, and Véro, his eco-friendly wife invite a merry group of friends to their beautiful beach house to celebrate Antoine's birthday and kick-start the vacation. But, this year, before they all leave Paris, their buddy Ludo is hurt in a serious accident, which sets off a dramatic chain of reactions and emotional responses.

REVIEW
This is our old friend the catalyst plot in which a stranger insinuates himself into a community, group, and causes mayhem until by the end the screen is littered with skeletons emerging from closets. Guillaume Canet has added spin to this trite plot by having the catalyst not coming into the group but leaving it. In short a long established group of friends spend a month each year on vacation as the guest of Max, a self-made successful businessman. On the eve of this years vacation one of the group, Jean Dujardin, is involved in a horrific road accident that eventually proves terminal. The friends opt to go on vacation anyway on the grounds that they are impotent so far as practical help goes. This decision, natch, unleashes all sorts of revelations, home truths, violence etc. Canet is a highly accomplished writer director and whilst this entry lacks the thrills and tension of Tell No One - which was adapted from a best selling novel rather than an Original screenplay as here - he still draws outstanding performances from the entire ensemble. Catch it if you can.

June 27, 2014
"Little White Lies" starts with Ludo(Jean Dujardin) ending his night of wild partying by being hit by a truck while riding his scooter. That gives their friends pause in making their vacation plans. In the meantime, Marie(Marion Cotillard) kicks Franck(Maxim Nucci) out of her apartment after they have sex because she can only watch movies alone, just as Eric(Gilles Lellouche) shows up from his own disastrous date. And then Vincent(Benoit Magimel) tells Max(Francois Cluzet) how he really feels about him.

"Little White Lies" has a couple of early moments of sheer gay panic from which it never quite recovers over its epic length. In fact, one such turns into a running joke over the length of the film. Otherwise, this resembles nothing more than a banal three episodes of a dramedy television series. And as much fun as it is to watch the likes of Francois Cluzet and Marion Cotillard act, this hardly makes up for any of that.

That's probably because you are not in good company. Basically, we're talking about a group of self-involved characters with boundary issues. But they are not responsible for taking care of Ludo for which they are called out on.(I mean, does he have any family, a friendly drug dealer, a prostitute with a heart of gold or any other cliche to take care of him?) In any case, I don't know what these chracters have in common as they come from different classes and ages. For example, who brings their massage therapist on vacation unless it is for sex?
Nicolas K

October 19, 2011
A wonderful European gem with a great cast and a well written script built on intriguing characters with Woody Allen-esque obsessions that during their most recent vacation are confronted with truths which they would have rather not known. A tad longer than I would have liked it to be, it nevertheless left me with a warm feeling inside.
Jonny C

February 26, 2011
Good French drama with François Cluzet and Marion Cotillard. Little White Lies (Les Petits Mouchoirs) is about eight friends who are settling into middle age have for years observed an annual tradition where they get together to enjoy some vacation time. However, fate has put a damper on this year's gathering when one of the group, Ludo, ends up in the hospital after an auto accident. They all believe honesty is not the best policy until the shit hits the fan. Little White Lies is very well made and acted, and even though it was 2 and a half hours long, there was always something going on to keep me engaged. Overall, worth looking out for.

June 27, 2014

December 29, 2013
not enough Jean Dujardin
November 22, 2013
Canet and his star-studded cast create a lively atmosphere that more than makes up for the film's narrative flaws
October 13, 2013
A grp of friends dealing with a friend who was in an accident...and what happens as they go on vacation...while their friend is in the hospital...it hits and misses...has some good "heart-felt" moments...
March 22, 2013
Les Petits Mouchoirs is an incredible film, with excellent direction from Guillaume Canet as well as an amazing performance from the beautiful Marion Cotillard, all add up to become a sensational film with an impeccable story and touching characters, I recommend it. 4/5.
FernandoCP
August 12, 2013
Es una gran película, pero tal vez demasiado larga.
Robert G.
August 8, 2013
Worth every minute. Trailer does no justice.
June 17, 2013
An ok drama. Some very good performances, but it's way too long.
October 20, 2010
"Les petits mouchoirs"****: Un grand film sur l'amitià (C) !! C'est drôle, frais, touchant !!! On fait presque parti de la bande !! Chapeau à la troupe d'acteurs, tous excellents !!! Une rà (C)ussite !!!!!!!!
May 26, 2013
Little White Lies is a French "Big Chill"-type of movie where a bunch of long time friends go on their annual vacation despite one in the group being seriously injured in a scooter incident (it's France).

This film is sooooo long. It's two and a half hours of people just talking and having emotions. I had to take breaks for coffee periodically. I really enjoy French culture and especially it's cinema, but this movie just did not work on multiple levels for me. The stories were mostly uninteresting despite having a great ensemble cast. Everyone just came off as selfish and pretty unlikable.

PS: The music cues are sort of awful. Too on the button and all like American classic rock songs, so it makes the whole ambiance of the film feel strange.
makoto
May 19, 2013
(May 2013) Casts are awesome, and the scenery is beautiful, but the story is a bit stupid (an important person in a group got critically injured and the rest of the group decided to take a long vacation, enjoying food, wines, water activities?). I guess it's a kind of movie in which you enjoy watching how good actors interact and beautiful vacation in Southern France. Finally, it's too long, like not-well-planned vacation.
April 21, 2013
After watching "Les Petits Mouchoirs", I should probably warn you that it's a journey. Clocking at about two-and-a-half hours with mostly just talking, some will like it, and some will hate it. Personally, I liked it, even though it's far from flawless. If there were ever such thing as the perfect French ensemble, this film has it. With Marion Cotillard and François Cluzet, two of France's top actors, in leading roles, and a supporting character played by Jean Dujardin (although he isn't in it too often), I never dreamed something like this would ever happen. Yet here it is.
The film begins with Ludo (Dujardin) partying all night long, hopping on his motorcycle to go home, and then getting hit by a truck. His large group of friends, all close for over a decade, become worried sick-- yet none of them can seem to sacrifice a beach vacation that Max (Cluzet) and his wife (Valérie Bonneton) offer every year.
We don't think much of this-- after all, all of the friends seem like nice enough people, and as soon as we get a look at the beach house and the view, we're sucked in too. But it's a problem.
These friends have had such long, complex relationships that they can't seem to tell each other their true feelings, and so basically, everyone's lying to each other. Marie (Cotillard) still has feelings for Ludo; Vincent (Benoît Magimel), who's married with two kids, can't help but tell Max that he has a crush on him; Eric (Gilles Lellouche) is dumped by his girlfriend but is too embarrassed to share; and Antoine (Laurent Lafitte) asks his friends for advice on how to win his girlfriend back but he won't share any big details. In essence, these are all "little white lies", but how long can they last?
Even from the beginning of "Les Petits Mouchoirs", you can tell something catastrophic is going to happen, whether or not a friendship ends or a misunderstanding gets out of control. But as we sit there expecting it, Canet makes us wait, and instead of everything happening abruptly, he takes his time, letting us get to know these characters, while letting them get to realize each others issues. Yet there's a tension that remains because we feel a sense of dread but we don't know when it's coming; we can't help but care because this group of friends are no different than most. All of the acting is terrific; these are wonderfully realized roles.
The characters are developed gradually, and in a way that makes them look flawed, maybe even giving us the idea that we'd see them walking down the street (even the eternally beautiful Cotillard looks a bit more normal here). Some of these people we like, and some of them we don't, but either way the actors pull off that task of really looking like friends. And when you have a "The Big Chill"-esque idea like this one, that's a very important component. Canet in turns directs with warmth, and in others, harsh realism.
If it was just a teeny bit shorter, "Les Petits Mouchoirs" could be perfect. But when we live in a world where movies don't even attempt to be as complex and real as this one, it's hard to even complain. Setting all problems aside, there's many moments of brilliance that eventually, outweigh the issues.
April 9, 2013
Great drama with the perfect amount of humor. Canet's shows us that he can write and direct comedies in the future based on the few but hilarious scenes of Little White Lies. The cast also gathers one of the best french actors that we have nowadays and they manage to build an intense and powerful connection between their characters on screen. The only problem with the movie is the length. It takes too long to finally begin and too long to finish. But it's a nice story to follow so you won't be that bored.