Live Free or Die Reviews

August 29, 2010
A bit of a miss with me. I loved Paul and, of course, Zooey in their roles but the storyline left me a little flat. Needed more with Zooey to punch it up a bit. It was... eh.
LWOODS04
August 20, 2009
Aaron Stanford, Paul Schneider, Zooey Deschanel, Juah Friedlander, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Kevin Dunn, Peter Anthony Tambakis, Michael Rapaport

DIRECTED BY: Andy Robin & Gregg Kavet

Taking its title from the state motto of New Hampshire, "Live Free or Die" is a deadpan comedy about a clueless, aspiring criminal named John "Rugged" Rudgate, who spends his days forging rebate coupons and selling speakers out the back of his van. One day, Rugged runs into an old acquaintance, the dim-witted Jeff Lagrand, who recently returned home to help his cynical sister run the storage facility that they inherited from their father. When Rugged tries to force his way into the Lagrand family business, things go terribly wrong--and the situation gets even more complicated when an emotionally unstable cop begins investigating

Well it didn't turn out to be as funny as I had hoped, but it had some good laughs. I found Pual Schneider and Zooey Deschanel to be the only funny two. Schneider's character was just one those off-beat characters that I love. Not so obviously funny. There should have been more Zooey in this movie. Would have been better I think. It was a bit boring at times and kinda silly. But I think it being silly was kind of the writer's intent. But all in all a decent watch.. Maybe..
Harlequin68
½ April 13, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]In "Live Free or Die," John "Rugged" Rudgate(Aaron Stanford) is a legendary petty thief in New Hampshire who specializes in stealing stereo speakers. While making the rounds, he meets an old friend, Jeff Lagrand(Paul Schneider), who although none too bright, inherited a storage facility with his sister, Cheryl(Zooey Deschanel). Rugged in a futile attempt to prove himself a hardened criminal takes credit for the murder of a local politician and spikes the well of a bully with brake fluid...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Live Free or Die" is the kind of movie that gives independent films a bad name, existing solely as an exercise in condescension towards small town life in general, New Hampshire specifically.(For that reason, a former acquaintance would have found this hilarious.) Overall, it is faintly amusing and Zooey Deschanel is the only actor worth watching, but sadly she is not onscreen enough to make a difference.(Which was pretty much the only reason I watched it in the first place...) Maybe if the movie had been less jokey and the script had been more polished, there might have been something here. A competing plotline about the local police is just aimless until it almost dovetails with Rugged's story, but never fully does. [/font]
June 14, 2007
Goofy small-time criminal farce isn't as funny as it thinks it is.
shanehaley41
January 2, 2009
A little slow, kinda boring at times but Lagrange keeps you interested with his somewhat dim-witted comedy. Not enough Zooey by any means. I like the message though, sometimes the image or the legend is so much easier to grasp than the truth. If we all lived with the reality and not the fantasy this would be a pretty boring existence.
½ June 20, 2009
movie about a small time crook pretending to be more than he is and an idiot "sidekick".......i thought it was kinda funny....not enough zooey.......judah's funny
½ January 2, 2009
There were times when I wanted to turn this movie off and times when I genuinely laughed out loud. You never really know what you are gonna get from a ThinkFilm. In the end it wasn't terrible and the irony of it all was amusing. Rugged wants so badly to have this image of a tough criminal and in the end he gets that but in reality he actually dies and his body is buried underneath a bunch of trash. It made me smirk.
October 21, 2007
Meet "Rugged" Rudgate, a total loser trying to be a bad *ss. Every time he does something actually bad (or thinks he does) he freaks out and tries to fix it or hide it. In my opinion, this movie is trying too hard to be funny. If you are attracted to the title like I was, you are more likely not going to like this movie. I suggest watching S.F.W. or Run Ronnie Run instead.
½ August 7, 2007
This movie's got great characters with loads of personality...maybe not the best acting, but certainly a funny movie that made me laugh out loud at times.
½ July 29, 2007
I reallt enjoyed it, it was funny, and it was natural funny not that stupid funny, that cant happen in life. I really liked the whole complexity the story had, and I really enjoyed watching the character John "Rugged' Rudgate lying about the kind of person he was, it was a different movie to watch, I really enjoyed the it for the time it lasted. The ending wasnt so good, thats why I didnt gice it 5 stars... but besides that, its good time spent.
½ July 26, 2007
Great and quirky indie film that more than just a little amusing. Loved the story and the funny acting. A great find of a film.
July 26, 2007
Oh Man... For the first hour, I thought i was really wasting my time. Was gonna give it half a star at best. This movie BLOWS!
There was just one moment that made me laugh, and I mean laugh out loud, so I gave it an extra star for that, not many movies make me laugh.
There is no drama, no feelings, nothing. This movie is plain boring! it has this whole legends theme that's just sad. It's like calling the narco-dealers the prosperity-bringers. A bunch of bullshit from people who see the glass full when it's half empty.
Robbanflix
July 11, 2007
A decent comedy / crime movie about the criminal "Rugged" which want to be knowed as a bad cool criminal in the town more then he actually is. Some funny scenes and overall a fair movie but not more..
November 26, 2011
Way funny and way underrated.
February 8, 2009
Mad Money 6/10

Live Free or Die Hard 8/10
Harlequin68
½ April 13, 2008
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
½ January 16, 2008
Now that I have seen this movie I really wish that I would have seen it in the theaters. I did not realize when it came out how good of a movie it would be. With that said I loved this movie, it had a great plot that was relevant to todays current events. They took an old franchise that has been absent for many years, and breathed new life into it, and in a time when Hollywood is bent on reviving every old franchise that they started back in the 80's and 90's this one works very very well. For me this movie got lost in all the big movies that came out this summer, and turned out to be better than most of the movie I paid money to see. The action is also a big and in many places original in this movie, even though in most cases it unbelievable. But lets face it the actions scenes in real life just are not as breathtaking as Hollywood's over the top ones anyway. I could go on with the praises but I will leave it at that, this is a must see movie. Any complaints I would have are minimal, and not worth writing about here, on this journal entry. And don't let not seeing the first three stop you from seeing this one, it is a stand alone movie that not really connected to story plots that were in the first three.
December 10, 2007
:fresh: - It's everything you'd expect it to be and it's wonderful.
August 27, 2007
So funny I forgot to laugh.....or something. Reviews of Blades of Glory, Wild Hogs, Darwin Awards, Gray Matters and Live Free or Die.

[b]Blades of Glory (2007) - 2.4/10[/b]
Director - Will Speck
Starring - Will Ferrell, Jon Heder, Craig T. Nelson, Will Arnett, Amy Poehler, Jenna Fischer.

Good god this movie sucked. I'll admit I'm not much of a Will Ferrell fan although I did like [i]Stranger Than Fiction[/i]. This "satire" or I should say foray into silliness, is more similar to Taladega Nights, but it's not even in that overrated comedy's league. It's just brutally stupid and unfunny. Ferrell and Heder play rival male figure skaters who "tie" for the gold medal, which leads to a brawl and the subsequent banning of both in competitive ice skating. Through a loophole, the two emerge as "partners" a few years later, the first male pair in the history of the sport. You get a lot of homoeroticism, lame crotch jokes, and your usual Ferrell schtick. Whatever.

[b]Wild Hogs (2007) - 3.2/10[/b]
Director - Walter Becker
Starring - Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, William H. Macy, Ray Liotta, Marisa Tomei, Jill Hennessey, MC Gainey.

Four middle-aged guys hit the road on their hogs.....mmm motorcycles in this tepid comedy. The premise is good. I mean you could shoot for Easy Rider meets Sideways, but instead they aim low, really low. We are talking National Lampoon low. Yep that's where they got the director. Stale slapstick and a ridiculous sub-plot involving a "real" motorcycle gang led by Ray Liotta dooms this ridiculous film.

[b]Darwin Awards (2006) - 4.5/10[/b]
Director - Finn Taylor
Starring - Joseph Fiennes, Winona Ryder, Wilmer Valderrama, Tim Blake Nelson, Chris Penn, David Arquette, Juliette Lewis, Lukas Haas, Judah Friedlander, Julianna Margulies & Metallica.

Great idea for a film, but serious problems with it's execution. The premise? The Darwin Awards are given to people who die in the most ridiculous ways. Enter Winona Ryder and Jospeh Fiennes, who work as insurance claims adjusters investigating odd accidents. Wilmer Valderrama, a documentary filmmaker, is along for the ride. Along the way they investigate a series of mishaps, each one more bizarre than the last. Granted all of the mishaps are downright silly. And some are even pretty funny. The problem is they are not pieced together well, and the subplot involving the serial killer is a total distraction. Too bad because this film had some potential.

[b]Gray Matters (2007) - 3.5/10[/b]
Director - Sue Kramer
Starring - Heather Graham, Tom Cavanaugh, Bridget Moynahan, Sissy Spacek, Molly Shannon, Alan Cummings, Rachel Shelley.

How could they screw this up so badly? The premise is great. Brother and sister (Tom Cavanaugh & Heather Graham) fall for the same girl (Bridget Moynahan). Unfortunately it feels like a TV sitcom. It desperately wants to reach a mainstream audience while championing the difficulty of coming out at the same time, and it never really succeeds at either. Heather Graham looks fabulous, and quite frankly her and Bridget Moynahan would make a great couple, but this film played it too safe IMO. The director totally wasted Sissy Spacek and Molly Shannon, and she had to dress up Alan Cummings in drag to get him in a lesbian bar. Did I mention the appearance by Gloria Gaynor? Well I did survive this film, but it should have been so much better.

[b]Live Free Or Die (2007) 4.4/10[/b]
Director - Andy Robin
Starring - Aaron Stanford, Paul Schneider, Zooey Deschanel, Michael Rapaport, Judah Friedlander, Kevin Dunn.

An indie slacker comedy about a bungling small-town criminal and his equally feeble buddy. A few laughs, but it pretty much meanders aimlessly as slackers tend to do.