97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Live from Baghdad Reviews

Cynthia S

November 13, 2013
This was an interesting look behind the scenes of CNN's efforts to bring the 1991 bombing of Baghdad into the homes of TV viewers. It brings to light the heroic sacrifices made by journalists, camera crews and producers to keep us informed while working in hostile dangerous areas. A good effort from Keaton, & Carter, help make this a really decent film..

May 25, 2008
[font=Century Gothic] "Live from Baghdad" takes place after Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990, when executive producer Robert Wiener(Michael Keaton) volunteers to be sent by CNN into Baghdad, having nothing else to cover in Berlin since the wall came down. His superiors approve, even though Wiener has a bit of a reputation for taking chances. So he suggests Ingrid Formanek(Helena Bonham Carter) to partner with him and to keep him in line, disavowing any rumors that their relationship goes deeper than work. But first they have to buy all the booze and cigars they can find in Rome...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Live from Baghdad" is an enjoyable and intelligent dramatization of CNN's coverage of the First Gulf War, said coverage making the fledgling network's reputation.(At the time they were the only 24 hour news channel around.) But before that happened, their crew in Baghdad has to find real news stories(the prize being an interview with Saddam Hussein) while not offending their hosts so much that they are kicked out of the country on the first day while in the long run staying alive. This is especially tricky when both sides are trying to exploit them for propaganda purposes. To do all of that, Wiener cultivates a relationship with the ministry of information(See, this is where the cigars come in handy.) to keep the lines of communication open to possibly avoid a war.(Well, that didn't work out too well, did it?)[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]You don't have to be crazy to be a journalist covering a war but it helps. And while Michael Keaton and Helena Bonham Carter definitely play to the psycho part of their respective ranges, the viewer can also detect the concern on Keaton's face at each decision his character has to make, none of them easy. [/font]
JennabGreat
February 24, 2011
I couldn't even tell this was a made for tv movie; that's why I love HBO. Great cast, really enjoyed the film.
sleazyrider420
September 10, 2007
Who ever came up with this a genuis. The CNN crew that was the eyes and ears for the world during Desert Storm
jiddy6
August 9, 2007
An intense tv movie that exceeded my expectations. Helena Bonham Carter and Michael Keaton were terrific in this together.
MovieGuruDude72
June 28, 2007
Not bad. Not great. Worth watching just to see a decent dramatization of the first Gulf War's first images.
prserina
May 22, 2007
It was so real too good more like my life....just awesome people should know it's not easy to be a war correspondent nor easy to report live ummmmmm:)
TheExpressionOfFreedom
May 21, 2007
THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE, IT'S PROBABLY THEY ONE MOVIE THAT TELLS THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAD HAPPEND IN THE GULF WAR....I THINK THAT ANY ONE THAT WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT IRAQ AND THE WAY THEY HAVE TREATED US KUWAITIES SHOULD SEE IT, EVEN THOUGH IT'S MOSTLY ABOUT THE NEWS IN IRAQ BUT IT ALSO SHOWS A LIL ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN IN KUWAIT.....
March 10, 2007
This movie will grab you from the beginning and it will not let go until the credits roll. Very good storyline, very good movie.
armybrat0368
February 5, 2007
I really enjoyed this film. It was brillantly done to tell the story of the CNN team that covered the story of the beginning of the Gulf War. There was another kind of Love story in this film, that of friendship. A rare and precious gift.
February 10, 2013
great film of the 1991 CNN coverage of Operation Desert Storm..and what it took to get the live news from Baghdad ...a great HBO film
August 20, 2012
100% no jodan es imposible
July 27, 2008
Great cast. Interesting story. A little over romanticized, but still enjoyable.
September 25, 2011
Flawed in it's frenetic editing and pacing issues, but an engaging story and strong performances from Keaton and Bonham Carter keeps this HBO production to be an interesting watch.
August 21, 2011
We only watch Videos during the weekend; I am Out of town three days a week; the DVD's are all free at the library. We rarely watch the cable. !0% & 78% thats good
Ruthie L.
August 3, 2009
Despite the moderate pace the movie takes, it will keep you interested up until the climactic ending that will leave you on the edge of your seat yearning for more. Keaton and Bonham-Carter play engaging and relatable characters that will no doubt have you rooting for team CNN.

May 25, 2008
jazza923
September 25, 2004
VERY GOOD MOVIE, GREAT DRAMA, SUSPENSEFUL, BELIEVABLE. KEATON IS MARVELOUS AND TOTALLY CONVINCING IN THE ROLE.
Mod Hip
December 13, 2003
[i]Live from Baghdad[/i] had some REALLY great lighting, and a really good cast.

I changed my avatar for the forums... It's... okay I suppose. You can check it out by looking at any of my posts. Does anyone know how I can get someone to make a cool one for me? Preferably involving Puss Puss?