Living in Oblivion Reviews

½ March 31, 2007
Meta. I just wanted to say meta.
June 15, 2007
A must see for ANYONE who has ever worked on a low budget indie.
puffchunk
½ November 19, 2007
Proof that Steve Buscemi needs to be a leading role in more movies. Gotta say, I wasn't taken in at first, but being too lazy to change the movie, it ended up being a pretty awesome film. Even from just directing movies for fun I understand how much it can drive you crazy and how nothing ever goes right.
January 27, 2009
Catherine Keener is the hottest old rag in the world.
garyX
January 4, 2007
Witty satire of indie films and the movie making process starring Steve Buscemi. Clever rather than laugh out loud funny, and the film within a film (within a film?) format sometimes seems in danger of drowning in it's own post-modernism, but it's an interesting curiosity nonetheless.
stevetheman1236
½ August 11, 2011
Steve Buscemi is, without a doubt, my favorite actor. He is always so flawless and charismatic with his performances. It is such a treat to watch him act. In Living In Oblivion, he shines. The rest of the cast is great, too, but he really takes the cake.

Another character I liked was Wolf, played be Dermot Mulroney. He was so funny in his role. Every word out of his mouth made me laugh.

And Tom DiCillo is fantastic as well. This is the first film of his that I've watched and I look forward to watching more from him in the future. He is a very talented director and even more talented writer.

Overall, Living In Oblivion is a great film. Not in the Academy Award sense of the word, but in the sense that you will remember it for being enjoyable and funny. This is the kind of film that you don't expect to be great and go into it already reviewing; you sit back and "roll with it".
November 7, 2010
One of the earliest films in which I encountered Catherine Kenner and Steve Buscemi. Great script writing and mayhem. Very few casts would have been able to pull this off effectively.
½ October 18, 2011
The film's director, Tom DiCillo, won the well-deserved Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at Sundance Festival in '95. And that's the best part about "Living in Oblivion". The writing is fantastic. It's wickedly funny and original. Each character is given a decent amount of depth and DiCillo manages to poke fun at just the right places.
shannylee38
August 24, 2007
What a nightmare it can be to make film!!!
½ May 19, 2007
Wonderful indie film. Very funny. If you've ever worked on a movie set, this movie is for you.
½ August 17, 2012
Fun, spastic and independent at its core, this is an entertaining, yet all too realistic and uncomfortable look into the process of getting a film made. Between on-set disasters and crew members mouths running rampant, one should find as much head slapping situational humor that they could ask for in the simple pleaser from indie man Tom DeCillo. The entite cast fits like a comfortable shoe and its approach to the almost redundant process of getting that scene right is pure gold. Peter Dinklage in one of his earliest roles in a gem to watch.
March 15, 2012
How much more 'indie film' can you get than this? It's got a series of vignettes that play with your perceptions of the events, making the most of the stage-like setting, it's alternates between color and B&W in the artiest of ways, it's all very '90s, down the the cast featuring Buscemi, Keener, et al.

Well worth a look for indie cinema fans, there's a lot to be charmed by here.
QueenCityFilms
½ April 19, 2010
Oh yeaaahhhhh forgot I watched this in film class.

Buscemi baby.

Ummmmmmmmmm

I just got involved in a minor car wreck today. My head is just a piece of scrap metal right now. Apologize, Bert.

No, Ernie.
½ December 27, 2009
Perceptive and very funny, wonderfully acted by everyone, especially Catherine Keener and Steve Buscemi. Clever screenplay, witty and the pace is excellent. Very entertaining.
January 19, 2009
At first, I wasn't really enjoying this movie, but then, I loved it. I'm not sure I've seen better acting than in this movie, and it was just a wild premise. I feel to truly enjoy this movie, you probably need to be in the "Biz" but it's still a fun watch.
April 8, 2008
A ridiculous and hilarious movie about film making which actually isn't too far away from the truth. Oh yeah, STEVE BUSCEMI!
June 25, 2007
The greatest film ever made about independent filmmaking. Any one who has ever tried to make a film will laugh all the way through this movie.
February 13, 2007
Wonderfully bizarre little film about low-budget films. Worth it for Peter Dinklage's rant about dwarfs alone.
November 22, 2006
Un film de Steve Buscemi! Un film chockful of Steve Buscemi in color and black and white and as a romantic lead! An angry dwarf! A meddling mother who saves the day! And lots and lots of Steve Buscemi!
October 3, 2006
Funny, savage send-up of low-budget filmmaking has a good turn from Buscemi and an even better turn from Keener.