Movies Like Living Out Loud

November 7, 2006
Great movie...
Lanning :

August 10, 2006
Mahalo, Joanna, this was a good one. Danny DeVito. Truly underrated. This is worth seeing just because of his performance. For those flixster friends who have been following my evolving thinking on the term "bittersweet," this is another movie which captures that mood. Neither tragic nor comic, and certainly not classically tragi-comic, there is a wistfulness to this film whiich, for me, can only be called bittersweet. After the horrible life he has had, the most receint blow being the death of his daughter, DeVito is on an upward curve. You know that his life has turned around. For Hunter, it is a different story. It is easy to believe that, as DeVito departs her life, she may have many more downward trending days ahead. It is sad, but it is so true in life. You make choces at moments that can lead you to the top, or send you rushing toward the abyss. A beautifully quiet and thoughtful movie.
sepio41
November 6, 2008
queen latifah had been making some great strides as actress through the 1990s. not only did she score as an aloof yet vulnerable jazz singer, she laid down a variety of jazz standards as sure as her best rap performances. this was her film for sure!
JaredsBaby
June 13, 2008
This movie was pretty boring the only part worth watching is when Eddie Cibrian took off his shirt and pants and for that I will give him three stars
arkle
January 18, 2007
This is simply my favorite movie, period. The cast is great, the story is great, the cinematography is great, the writing is great, the soundtrack is great, the DVD is well done...
jameseric
May 2, 2006
Holly Hunter should've gotten the Oscar that year. This is a sorely overlooked film about break-ups from a female perspective.
April 10, 2006
One of my favorite films ever. It's about learning to live more freely... and wow. Three of my favorite actors. Learn to live again, and more fully! It's kind of off-beat, so be prepared for some semi-unusual twists in the film. However this movie is wonderful.
October 11, 2013
Great acting on the part of the three main leads, but the story doesn't really go anywhere or have much to say.
June 17, 2013
My favorite movie! Watching it now. :)
November 20, 2012
Original, with multi-dimensional characters.
February 6, 2011
I loved this film. Funny. Sad. Angry. Full.
December 9, 2010
Eddie Cibrian in his undies... yum!
David Almeida
May 8, 2010
(from The Watermark, 11/12/98)
A misguided romantic comedy that isn't as satisfying as it wants to be. The directorial debut of respected screenwriter Richard LaGravanese (The Fisher King, The Bridges of Madison County, The Horse Whisperer) is disappointingly off-kilter in both its writing and direction. Hunter plays a rich New York City housewife who, after being dumped for a younger woman, realizes that she has given up a great deal of herself for her marriage. With an overactive imagination, she desperately tries to live up to her own fantasies of being secure, stable, and emotionally self-sufficient. With the support of Devito, her unwillingly platonic friend, she eventually does make a small shift toward her own happiness.
LaGravanese's strong points are his wonderfully interesting characters and his smart, witty dialogue. His weak point is finding a storyline for his characters, and communicating his theme that change happens in baby steps, no matter how hard a person may try. Often, we see a scene as Hunter envisions it happening, and then it is repeated, the way it really happened. This sleight-of-hand storytelling is clever, but not used to its full potential. Another problem with the film is Hunter's character. She goes to uncomfortable lengths to be different (i.e. drinking and smoking too much, falling in love with complete strangers, taking drugs, and bumping and grinding at a lesbian disco). Then LaGravanese, who often omits what seem to be key scenes, neglects to show us any catharsis or reflection Hunter may have on her escapades. The plot is only meandering, and the conflict is pedestrian; it feels more like a pilot for a TV series. QUEER QUOTIENT: The one thing that makes the whole experience worthwhile is Queen Latifah. Not only is she a kick-ass blues singer (why did she ever waste her talents on rap?), she is just the sass and attitude that the film so desperately needs. And she is cinched and duct-taped into her skin-tight dresses more than any drag queen I have ever seen in my life. No doubt she is one of the to-be-worshipped grand divas of the future. And let us not forget the extremely erotic scene in which Hunter receives a massage from a drop-dead gorgeous masseur / call boy in his skivvies. Now I know why the movie theater floor was so sticky.
Audrey O.
October 24, 2009
A classy little film with Queen Latifah singing some good jazz. What's not to like?
NuBz18
August 11, 2008
[b][i]Home Fries[/i][/b] - I love Drew Barrymore despite her limited talent as an actress, but here even her charm wasn't enough of a distraction from the nonsensical (and completely uninteresting) plot developments, contrived happenings and a one-two-punch-to-the-funny-bone of an ending that left me breathless...with laughter and dismay. [b]*1/2 (out of ****) D+[/b]

[b][i]How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days[/i][/b] - I liked it, what can I say. As infuriating as I find it that Kate Hudson is still trying to be as completely badass as her mother is, I enjoy her comic timing and her cutesy Punky Brewster face. Matthew McConaughey, on the other hand, should just eat a sand cake and stay stoned, playing his bongos, naked. [b]**1/2 (out of ****) C+[/b]

[b][i]Jerry Maguire[/i][/b] - One of Tom Cruise's best performances and one of Cameron Crowe's best movies ([i]Almost Famous[/i] is overrated, and [i]Elizabethtown[/i] is underrated, in my opinion). All-around fun with some real truth and triumph. I love it. [b]**** (out of ****) A[/b]

[b][i]Keeping the Faith[/i][/b] - Not nearly as biting as its title or its premise might suggest, the Edward Norton-directed comedy still lights up your face with a smile and has some real surprises. Rare in these parts. [b]*** (out of ****) B[/b]

[b][i]Living Out Loud[/i][/b] - While I wouldn't consider this a "romantic comedy" any more than I'd consider such a stamp for the likes of [i]The Upside of Anger[/i] or [i]As Good as It Gets[/i], Richard LaGravenese's [i]Living Out Loud[/i] sure is a good little movie. I liked it a lot. Hunter, DeVito and Latifah are glorious here - funny, fresh and radiant - well...DeVito's not radiant. He's just tiny and funny looking, as always. [b]***1/2 (out of ****) B+[/b]
shoopy1
December 20, 2005
Can't believe this fell into the Rotten TOmatoes Catagory. This was a brilliant movie... It may have required to much thought for some... but stimulating... and Queen Latifah! Who would have known she could actually sing - with one of the best reditions of Going Out Of My Head I've ever heard!