Lore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lore Reviews

May 30, 2013
A fascinating look at the family of a Nazi officer after suffering defeat in 1945, and difficulty they and their countrymen have in grappling with a shattered world view. Beautifully filmed with a haunting performance by Rosendahl as she is forced from her cocoon of Nazi idealism and privilege into a world of privation, death and chaos. Excellently directed, "Lore" is a stunning and thought-provoking experience in a way different from any other World War II films I have seen. Highly recommended.
March 22, 2013
A disastrous drama that feels repetitive and pointless, never making clear what Shortland wants to say with this - and her heavy-handed direction makes even more blatant the way she embraces the most obvious of soap-opera clichés and cheap narrative artifices.
½ October 21, 2012
Jane Campion visuals, only Jane does it so much better; "Two Women" derivative, although there is little to compare, why did this story have to make it to the screen? It is an affront to show these healthy and robust survivors, besmudged with some grime to show the passing of time, when there was little left for any one. Rubbish!
c0up
October 6, 2012
'Lore'. Heavy, heavy going alleviated time and time again by the beautifully captured natural imagery. Assured filmmaking by Shortland.
August 2, 2013
I am torn as to how to rate this. Beautifully shot, with some really stunning images, and a horrific film at the same time, with some really disgusting images. The story will haunt for a while, I am sure. I need to digest what I have seen. An effective, well-done production, but a story that leaves one somewhat depressed. There were elements that exhibited a pro-Nazi sentiment in the people, but I definitely did not come away thinking that this was any sort of attempt to whitewash the effects of the atrocities that were committed. What I saw was a child coming to grips with the idea that her parents and the people they associated with may have behaved monstrously. A child entrusted with the safety and welfare of her younger siblings in a time when there was little sympathy to spare for anyone in her situation. A child beginning to realize the power of her femininity, but not yet capable of utilizing that power. And finally, a child who received little emotional healing from her grandmother when the ordeal was finally over. My initial thinking is four stars, because of the powerful portrayal by this young, first time actress, Saskia Rosendahl.
Harlequin68
March 3, 2013
Let's start at the end for this one, shall we? In this case, it is the end of the Third Reich which sends a Nazi officer(Hans-Jochen Wagner) and his wife(Ursina Lardi) packing. While he goes off for one last offensive, she takes her five children to a cabin in the country to hide. That does not last long as the Americans are soon to crash the party. So, she gives her oldest daughter, Lore(Saskia Rosendahl), detailed instructions and directions, along with every precious piece of jewelry she has including her wedding ring, that she is to go to a relative's house near Hamburg if she does not return in three days' time. Lore does not wait that long as her younger brother Gunther(Andre Frid) is caught stealing.

Directed by Cate Shortland, "Lore" is a harrowing, provocative and haunting tale of survival. The fact that it involves someone as hateful as Lore should not take away from appreciating the movie's visual poetry. Before the fall was the fairy tale for the children and after it is the reality, as they encounter people who either dislike them or in a state of denial themselves, as she desperately tries to keep her family together. Even though she is at an age when she should know the difference, all Lore has known is what her mother has told her who has followed the Nazi ideology herself, especially the part involving having large families, as she is still having children into middle age.(In retrospect, Lore should know there is nothing to be feared from the Americans but that's not what she has been told.) That's where the title's double meaning comes in, as lore could also be defined as knowledge. So, yes, the movie hits what could be considered a false note in its open ending, but it could also be a sign of hope for the future.
themoviewaffler.com
½ February 28, 2013
With the allied forces approaching, Lore (Rosendahl), her younger sister, and her three young brothers, are abandoned by their Nazi party parents and forced to make the lengthy journey from southern Germany to Hamburg where their grandmother awaits their arrival. With just a few of her mother's trinkets to barter for food, Lore reluctantly accepts the help of Thomas (Malina), a young Jewish man recently released from the Buchenwald camp. As her journey progresses, Lore is exposed to the truth and consequences of her parents' beliefs.
For much of the running time of Shortland's film I was frustrated by a central plot contrivance which I felt simply didn't ring true. Towards the end, however, we get a plot twist which makes us re-evaluate that frustration but it can't erase the niggling irritation experienced prior to that point. I won't reveal the twist here but I feel most viewers would enjoy 'Lore' more if they were aware of this revelation prior to viewing. Retrospectively I can say it's an impressive piece of work though I must confess to frowning during many scenes, due to being unaware of the full facts. The central performance from Rosendahl is fantastic. She's given little dialogue but brilliantly conveys, through her physical performance, the disappointment of learning everything her parents told her was a cruel lie .

Shortland's direction is equally impressive although I would have preferred the plot twist to be revealed visually rather than through a cheap piece of expository dialogue. We're seeing a lot of films helmed by female directors now and they're rarely dull. In fact, so impressed by this new generation am I that, when I see a film has a female director attached, I automatically become more interested. Are women better film-makers than their male counterparts? No, of course not. My theory is that it's much harder for a woman to get a film made and thus the cream rises to the top. I can't think of one female director I could describe as a hack. Shortland is also Australian, a race of people who seem to have a natural gift for film-making. The real standout of 'Lore' though is composer Max Richter who is quickly becoming the best of his generation. The score here ranks with his great work on 2011's 'Perfect Sense'. You may not be tempted to watch 'Lore' a second time but, if you're a music lover, you'll definitely want to hear Richter's score again.
½ July 9, 2013
The first half is a little repetitive (how many times do we need to see these children find dead bodies and be traumatized?), but once it gets rolling in the second half and the central character begins to question her deeply held fascist beliefs, the film becomes something infinitely more sad than the shock value that preceded it.
August 20, 2015
Lore released in 2012 directed by Cate Shortland was an amazing film with very few negative points. Lore is a film about her leading her siblings on a journey that exposes them to the truth of their parents' beliefs. In the days of Adolf Hitler when all came crumbling down and finally to an end. Lore in this film was the daughter of a Nazi militant, who he in the end was running to hide. Lore and her brothers an sisters didn't realize what her family was, they only knew what they we brought up to think. Lore ends up having to take her brothers and sisters far from the area being if they were found they would be put to death.

This movie is outstanding! Caught it last night on Netflix based on the ratings of Lore on Rotten Tomatoes website. Netflix rating had a low score of which usually when we see a low star count we dont bother watching. Now Rotten Tomatoes had a score of 96% Tomatoes which states the movie is awesome based on real peoples opinions, so we watched it. To our surprise this film was remarkably put together, the acting was top notch, and the affect omg; so realistic. Lore is a sad film being that the eyes & the mind have to endure the thought of what mankind in that era had done, and become. It is a slow film working off of every detail, keeping you on your toes to watch; it is impossible to stop viewing it. It's a frightening film, knowing that things on both sides of the spectrum can be so easily misplaced within morality.

The only thing that was bad or upsetting about the film, is the way it ended. You'd have to see it to decide for yourself, But think it's brilliant work! Check out the trailer below.
½ February 11, 2013
This is a completely atypical coming of age story, since the protagonist is violently and swiftly forced out of her childhood. Saskia Rosendahl gives a compelling debut performance as Lore, as she constantly confronted with things she learned as a child being challenged and we see her start making her own opinions and decisions. The movie overall is simple, sparse. We only see what we need to. There is no exposition or filler, we just see their journey. As with most movies of this nature, it does drag a little bit, especially in the middle, but this is still a really interesting character study, as well as a look at a side of history we don't normally see.
November 20, 2014
The children are wonderful natural actors and led by Rosendahl's great performance. While the basic idea is not new, the whole movie is a great visual experience. Does the ending justify the journey. Maybe...maybe not. I wanted more.
February 25, 2014
I wasn't particularly phased by this picture, be it by the acting, the characters, the cinematography, or the pacing. Not a really memorable movie.
January 30, 2014
Austria. Interesting perspective. End WW2, Nazis now being captured. Daughter of arrested SS officer parents must take siblings to a safe place - north to Grandma's. Lore's Nazi socialization makes her journey a dangerous one. On the way she sees the consequences.
December 17, 2013
The direction of Lore is so cold and distant that moments that should make us cry out in agony elicit little more than a shrug.
*1.5/4*
December 3, 2013
It is commonly known that the whole world has a severe disdain for Nazis, especially for Hitler. As a result, there have been loads of films which show how foul the Nazis were. In contrast this film portrays the events from the perspective of loyal Nazis. Lore helps us to remember that those who supported Hitler were people as well, regular people like us, misguided though they may have been.
½ September 14, 2013
Interesting setting--the German countryside right after WWII--but this was way too slow-moving and sometimes contrived as well.
August 10, 2013
"Lore" is a German movie about the loss of innocence thru learning hardships firsthand during the aftermath of WW2 Germany. Balanced story overall, with little suspenses here and there.
August 4, 2013
Director/writer Cate Shortland has created something truly remarkable, forcing us to find within ourselves sympathy for a young Nazi. The story is grim and dense, but features one hell of a lead performance. Shortland combines wonderful visuals with a brutal story of survival, involving family and patriotism, and a running commentary on the state of Germany after the fall of the Third Reich.

As the German army collapses in the spring of 1945, the breakdown of a family serves as a microcosm of a country in despair in the closing days of World War II. Lore (Saskia Rosendahl) and her four younger siblings are abandoned as their Nazi-supporting parents are forced to flee the Allied forces. As they travel on foot to their grandmother's house in Hamburg, the children encounter a young Jewish refuge, Thomas, on whom they are forced to rely for both food and safe passage through Ally-occupied lands. As she is exposed to the lies of their parents, and begins to develop feelings for one whom she has been taught to hate, Lore is forced to come to terms with a belief system that is quickly unraveling.

It's the children that have to do all the heavy lifting in the film dramatically, and they carry their weight, and then some. The film is anchored by a remarkable lead performance from Rosendahl, who comes across as a seasoned veteran, despite this being her debut performance. Her character goes from obnoxious adolescent to young adult, via a series of confronting moments where her morals and beliefs are challenged. Her vibrant youthful spirit is replaced with a burning rage with a war torn Europe as the backdrop.

A new perspective on an event often forces an audience to confront disturbing realities they may wish to avoid. Although "Lore" relates a story from the second world war, it reveals the point of view of those we do not often consider: children of a high-ranking Nazi official. This story may not be pleasant, but it is certainly fascinating.