Losing Isaiah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Losing Isaiah Reviews

½ May 12, 2010
A very sweet and touching movie. Extremely intense emotionally. I really didn't know who to root for... the adoptive mom or the real mom. I liked them both and felt for both.
August 8, 2012
So sad! I cried a couple times. Very good acting and a great story.
½ January 28, 2008
Good film, great performance by Halle Berry.
iLeo
½ December 15, 2007
A remarkable movie!
½ September 9, 2007
Very emotional - hard to determine what side you're on
August 6, 2014
This movie was very sad to me.But I really enjoyed it and I would watch it over and over again if I had the movie.
December 29, 2010
The mood this movie creates is wonderful. I literally cried for this movie. I'm not someone who cries often, especially not because of movies, but this one moves me. Seeing both side of family love the boy so much. What pain it must be for them to lose him to someone else. Great plot and great cast, too, except for the father.
March 28, 2008
I enjoyed this movie a lot. Everything the performances and whole story are good. Well I guess the ending seemed to go on and on and I had no idea what would really resolve the matter. That was probably the kicker for the film not being so widely known. It is about a subject that is something anyone can talk about. Though it feels at sometimes more racist then it could be. Sometimes I was almost offended watching it and other times it felt really powerful.
½ July 14, 2009
I got dragged to see this one and it turned out to not be that bad...It didn't hurt that it had Halle in it"
May 16, 2009
Another underapreciated film . . . Great story about adoption, sadly this happends everyday in america... Good acting-performance by Berry & Lange...
October 13, 2008
what a good movie i cried when i saw that movie who puts a baby in the dumpster this is lyfe not a game or toy.
August 22, 2007
A social worker who falls for an abandoned newborn and breaks all rules by taking him home. A homeless druggie dumped her baby,strung out on crack, hid her baby in a cardbord box near a dumpster and left him there. A ood drama, sorta sad movie.
½ April 17, 2008
Should an African-American child be raised by Anglo-American parents? This is the perplexing question raised in Stephen Gyllengaal's tragic "Losing Isaiah", the story of the desperate custody battle between the white adoptive parents and the black biological mother of little four year old Isaiah. Khaila Richards has discovered that the baby she left in a cardboard box is still alive and lays claim to him, stating that he should not be raised by parents of a differing colour. Margaret and Charles Lewin will not concede without a fight though, and they enlist an African-American attorney to represent their cause. Based on the novel by Seth J. Margolis, the film sees baby Isaiah being abandoned by his drug addict black mother Khaila Richards in a bin shortly after his birth. He is found and taken to hospital where Margaret Lewin, a white doctor caring for him, decides to adopts him as her own child. Isaiah fits well into the Lewin family despite hailing from a different racial background and he grows into a happy, cherished little boy. But four years later, Khaila is back on the scene demanding custody of her son back now that she is clean. And it seems the Lewins' have a fight on their hands to keep the child since the family court system not only favours children being returned to their parents but also the idea of people only being allowed to foster/adopt children of the same racial background as themselves. The quality of acting was excellent from all members of the cast. Jessica Lange gave a great depiction as Margaret Lewin, the mother who doted on Isaiah with as much love as if she had given birth to him herself. Although, on the surface, it was quite hard to like Khaila Richards, Halle Berry gave the role substance and managed to make her an almost sympathetic character as the film went on. However, the real praise has to be reserved for the tiny Marc John Jefferies, who played Isaiah. Anyone who has ever said small children can't act or tried to excuse mediocre child acting on the basis of the child's age needs to see this boy's first-class performance despite the fact he must barely have been out of nappies when he appeared in this film. I found this film quite realistic in that respect and could completely empathise with the Lewin family's sense of helpless and disbelief as they risked losing their son to a mother who dumped him purely on the basis of they had the wrong skin colour and DNA. 'Losing Isaiah' certainly shows that a child's sense of security and love must always come first, regardless of what the biological mother wants or whether his skin tone matches his adoptive parents.
February 24, 2008
Really great movie truly a sad story but great movie if you have not wacth it yet wacth it it is as good as they make movie now days
½ February 22, 2016
Una de las películas q más me ha hecho llorar en mi vida. Un lindo mensaje de amor
October 3, 2015
Jessica Lang has such a strange looking face. Berry is great in this film.
December 24, 2015
Despite having strong central performances from both Jessica Lange and Halle Berry this is an overly sentimental and schmaltzy movie that plays every trick to play at the heart strings and doesn't really succeed. What should be a difficult and interesting and powerful conflict about whether it is better that an abandoned child is better raised with a family from a different ethnic background or returned to his birth mother is dealt with in only the most simplistic terms and is not really explored as fully as such a topic should be. Maybe this is an argument that has had its day since the movie was made but it all feels somewhat glib, a feeling not helped by the rather unsatisfying way in which the movie ends. These days, I would hope that in such situations, none of the professional and legal bodies depicted in this movie would behave in the manner depicted and the fact that there is little exploration by the court as to what is best for the child nor does there seem to be any involvement of the child in the decision. Maybe we've just moved on? I would hope so.
September 27, 2014
This movie was so intense emotionally, I had to pause it a couple times and process what had to be said. This was the best drama I have watched in a while.
August 6, 2014
May 3, 2014
Jessica Lange & Halle Berry were absolutely brilliant in this film in my humble opinion.