Lourdes Reviews

April 14, 2010
Destined to be misunderstood it seems, Lourdes - a film about a young woman in a wheelchair, paralysed with MS embarking on a pilgrimage to Lourdes, the holy retreat in the southwest of France that many believe to be a place of miracle healing after a visitation of Mary to a local many years ago - to be a film about religion (Christianity), faith, the existence of God and the possibility of miracles. It's not though, that's just a narrative to uphold what the film is really about, people (although obviously faith is explored but in the context of the human condition rather than as in religious/catholic faith). Every human emotional trait is explored, and quite wonderfully so. It's subtle and accurate but never preachy, pompous or pretentious. It is also my favourite film of the year/decade so far. Jessica Hausner is a director I'm definitely going to be looking out for and Sylvie Testud is a wonderful actress who I'm equally on oar of. I could write so much more but I'm not going to, do yourself a favour and just go see it asap!
March 21, 2010
I saw this at the Cleveland International Film Fest. It reminded me a bit of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria especially with its presentation of Catholic rituals.

Sylvie Testud does a wonderful job in portraying Christine as a real person with real depth. But there is a great cast of characters surrounding her. I found that the movie is really about how the whole group of pilgrims seeking healing and the red cross helpers react to Christine and the miracle promising site of Lourdes. The movie is slowly paced. Sometimes the camera lingering over the landscape or faces that are still and quiet seems a bit much. But when it lingers on the religious ceremonies and holy places it reveals the repetition and sometimes meaninglessness of these old traditions. People put so much hope in them anyways. I think that this movie was made in a way though that will let believers continue to believe and non-believers continue to doubt. It is ambiguous. I liked some of the advice the head priest and the head lady of the red cross gave a couple times though I disagreed with their assuming that all miracles and personal changes are a result of faith in God, Jesus, or Mother Mary. I liked hearing the doctors' scientific explanation for the roller coaster ebbing and flowing of multiple sclerosis symptoms. I liked the questions the two single middle aged ladies asked throughout as they try to make sense of it all.
Harlequin68
½ February 28, 2010
"Lourdes" is a disarming rumination on the nature of faith that maintains a documentaty like distance in observing a group of pilgrims at Lourdes, starting with them arriving for a meal. Their leader Cecile(Elina Lowensohn) informs that since they have had such a long journey that day, they will wait until tomorrow to move onto the grotto and that a prize will be awarded to whoever is the best pilgrim. Actually preferring the cultural sites, Christine(Sylvie Testud) is paralyzed by multiple sclerosis and needs help even to eat and get into bed and feels life is passing her by. These tours are the only way for her to get out of the house.

Lourdes is renowned for its miracles but there is a great deal of skepticism given to any reported. Why some people, and not others? The official line is hedging its bets, wanting to cure the soul, not the body.(Whether they enjoy the idea of the sick suffering is a matter for debate.) On the one hand, the city needs the idea of miracles to drive the tourist business and sell souvenirs. On the other, what would happen if everybody were cured, since there is such a large industry formed around the caretakers?
½ February 27, 2013
A beautifully subtle lead performance from Sylvie Testud truly gifts this unusual and enigmatic film that can be read a multitude of ways (undoubtedly depending on the viewers own spirituality and/or religious beliefs), even to the point where it becomes unclassifiable (drama, black comedy, satire).
lesleyanorton
½ July 29, 2010
So thats what Lourdes is like? What a depressing place. An endless procession of ritual and prayer, hope and despair, and maybe, just maybe the chance of a miracle, but most likely, not a chance. A thought-provoking, slow (well, your main character IS paralized from the neck down) and pragmatic film about the possibilities of faith and grace..
June 11, 2012
A woman in her 20's gets quadriplegia by MS and goes to Lourdes on a healing tour. The movie is very subtle and thought provoking from start to finish.
½ November 3, 2011
thought this was a doc but its not a story of some pilgrims going to and visiting lordes looking 4 miracles-one finds one.
July 26, 2013
Beautiful acting, but at its core nihilistic and empty, did not find it spiritual at all but had a low key misanthropy... very disappointed.
½ February 20, 2012
Most movies that feature my faith in a prominent way either tend toward horror ("The Exorcist"), sensationalism ("The DaVinci Code") or grimness ("Doubt"). And while I enjoyed all those movies, a movie like "Lourdes," which features a particular aspect of Catholicism yet treats the faith with affection and realism, is always a refreshing change. It's no more a "Catholic" movie than "The Exorcist," et al, and it deals with issues that people of all faiths (or no faith) can relate to, in particular, what it means to be healed.
September 25, 2011
Lourdes is a multifaceted film that questions and plays deftly with irony in examining faith--and the lack thereof. Director Jessica Hausner has produced a credible script and her skilled eye transforms the script into a mesmerizing film. Silvie Testud as Christine and Gilette Barbier as Mme Hartl are superb actresses who understand the power of subtlety in playing dramatic roles.
August 7, 2011
difícil explicar o que me atrai nesta esp (C)cie de drama teológico (g (C)nero restrito e delicado), mas aqui está um filme que merece um lugar à parte. Precisa de pouco para dizer muito sobre como a F (C) não pode ser monopolizada por nenhuma organização religiosa ou sobre como aqueles que anseiam tanto pelo Divino podem nem ficar especialmente satisfeitos quando este se manifesta. Tópicos pesados e fortes que proporcionariam certamente uma conversa empolgante num regresso a casa de carro. E o mist (C)rio que transborda na Sylvie Testud (C) o mesmo que tanta falta faz a um monte de actrizes americanas que se esgotam em 2 ou 3 filmes. Saldo altamente positivo.
August 2, 2011
The central performance of "Lourdes" is exceptional. The film is profound and provoking, but certainly not for everyone's taste.
July 25, 2011
?ำ??รย?อ??รื?อ??ือ Nothing test faith more than a miracle ??า?ห???ลอั??ฤษ???า?วามรู??ี?มีอยู??ือ?ม?มีอะ?ร??สอ?ศรั??า????ี?ว?า?า?ิหาริย? ?รื?อ??ี??????รื?อ??อ??ริส?ศาส?า??า? ?ลย??ี?ยว?ั??า?ิหาริย? ??า??า??ี???ย????ูGreen Mile ?ึ???????รื?อ???ี?ยว?ั??า?ิหาริย??หมือ??ั? ??า?ิ?ว?า?รื?อ??ี??ะ?ูม?าย ?ู???ล?วส?สาร?ั???ษ?ระหาร ?รื?อ??ี??ม? ห?ั??ะ?า?ราลึ????า?????ำ?าม?ี?ว?า?า?ิหาริย?มี?ริ?หรือ ??ามี?ริ??ระ???า?ำ?ม?ม??ห??า?ิหาริย??ั??ุ??? ?ำ?ม?ึ??ลือ????ี? ???ี??ู??ลือ??ห???ิ??า?ิหาริย??ั?? มีศรั??าอั??ร??ล?า?ริ?หรือ? ?ระ??????ว??ะมั? 555
???ัศ???ิ?อ??ม ?ม???????ี??ม??รา??หว?อะ?ร?ั???ั?? ?ม?ม???ื?อ??สิ??ศั??ิ?สิ??ิ???ยสิ????ิ? ?ม?ม???ื?อ?รื?อ??ี ?ม???ื?อ?รื?อ???ว?า ?ร? สวรร?? ?ระ???า ?ม?อ?ิษ?า? ?ม??อ?ร ?ม?ภาว?า ?ม????า? สิ???ี???ิ??ะ?ีหรือร?ายมั??????รื?อ??ี??วลา?ละส?า??ี??ำห?? อ?า??อะ?ร?ะ??ิ?????อ???ิ? ??อ?ห??รุ???ี??ล???? ?ม???ม???ร?ว?า?ะ?????าร?ระ?ำ?อ??ระ???าหรือ?ม? ?ั??ั???รื?อ??ี??ลยมี?ระ?????ี??ร???าม?ั??ัศ???ิ?อ??ม??ยสิ????ิ? ?ัวละ?ร?ัว?ึ??ี???ร??ศาส?า?มยั?รำ?า?มา?
??ื?อ?รื?อ??อ??รื?อ??ล?าสั??? ?????รื?อ??อ??ัวร????ิ?าร ??อัม?า?มาอ?ิษ?า? มาอา???ำศั??ิ?สิ??ิ??ี??มือ?ลู?ร?ส มี??อ??ห?ึ???ี?อัม?า??ั??????อล?มา??มา??วย มี?า??ึ??ี??ยา?าล?สม?ม??ี?ม?รู????า?รีย?ว?าอะ?รหยิ?มือ??อ???ั??ั??าศั??ิ?สิ??ิ? ??อยิ?ม?ห??ยา?าล ?อ?ยา?าลละสาย?า ??อ???ลั?มา?ำห??าห??ายอิ???อร??ร? อี??ี?ย ?ู????อัม?า??ล?ว?ู?ะรั?รู??วามรู?สึ??อ?หิ????ยั???
ห?ั??ั???ำ?าม?ั??า?ิหาริย??ี??ู???วย?า????ี?มา?ี??ี??ล?วหาย ว?า?ำ?ม??อ????????ี? ?ำ?ม?ม????????ี??ี?อุ?ส?าห?มา?ุ??ี ?ำ?ม?ม????????ี??ี?มา?ุ??ี?ูมีศรั??าอั??ร??ล?า?ว?า ?อ???าม?า?หลว????ะ?อ?ว?า?????ระ?ระส????อ??ระ???า ?ระ???า?ร?มี????า?ห??ั???ร ???ม?มี??ร?ะรู? ?ระ?????ี??ม?อ?อย?า??ึ????รื?อ??ือ??อัม?า????ิ?ารมั??ะอิ??า???ี?มือ???า?ี? ?า?หลว????ะ?ลอ???ว?า?รา?ุ?????ิ?มา?????า??ั? ลู?รู????อย?า??รว?า???ี???ิ???วยสอ????ามี?วามสุ??ว?า อย?า???รั??วาม?ุ????ว??ลย ???มื?อ???ี?อัม?า?มี?า?ิหาริย??ลั?มา??ิ????อย?า??ม???า??ื?อ ??อื???ี??ม?มี?า?ิหาริย???มอ???วย?วามอิ??า ?ล?ว??ื?อว?า???ลั????าว??ร??ิม ?า?หลว???อ?มา?ลอ??? มั??????ระ?ระส????อ??ระ???า
?วาม?ริ??รื?อ??ี??อ??ระ??????หลาย? ?รื?อ??ลยล?ะ ????ี???ีย??ิม???ล?ว ?าย
½ May 25, 2011
A sensitive look at what for many people is life's biggest question: is there a God and does he care? The film presents us with the experiences of a group of disabled pilgrims who are in desperate search of miraculous healing. The beauty of this movie is that its storytelling is as ambiguous and often painful as the debate on miracles itself.
½ April 3, 2011
Genial produccin cinematogrfica. Un milagro del cine! La recomiendo fervientemente a todo el mundo. Para comprender lo imcomprensible y deleitarse con una esttica.
½ February 17, 2011
A super film. I loved the High Angle Camera at the start just observing everyone file in to the food hall - no other sounds required. Shades of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in the lead Nun. Fab.
½ January 31, 2011
A complete original. Whilst seeming to inhabit the 'religious miracle' genre, the film denies any trace of spiritual fervour, treating the extraordinary with almost complete disdain. Viewers may expect some sort of punch line or revelation but they wait in vain. The point, quite simply, is that there isn't one. Life simply is - without Divine purpose or control or visions of Angels. With all the trappings and rituals of the Lourdes pilgrimage, this film has a cold, agnostic heart. Sylvie Testud is wonderfully restrained and deadpan in a film which is, ultimately, unsettling and even bleak. As one wheelchair-bound pilgrim put it, "We are all alone.", in spite of what appears to some, to be a 'message of hope' from on high.
½ January 19, 2011
"Lourdes" is a very complicated film. Its ambiguity may be a turn off for some viewers, but I found it to be one of the most thought provoking films of the year. Director Jessica Hausner presents a very subtle story in terms of narrative, but a profound spiritual experience for those who are willing to see it as one. This film is limited on what it actually directly gives to the audience; it's up to the viewer to delve deeper to find something in this film. Your overall feeling of this movie in the end depends on how you connected with it and what you ultimately took away from the happenings. "Lourdes" presents a lot of ideas that will mean a variety of things to the viewer, but that all depends on where the viewer stands in terms of religion versus spirituality. While watching this film, it was hard to make up my mind on how I felt about it, but after it was over, I sat and thought about it and that's when it really made an impact. Unless you're prepared to think and willing to watch "Lourdes" with an open mind, I'd suggest you stay away from this film until you are. It's a wonderful examination of spirituality, skepticism and mystery led by a quietly brilliant performance from Sylvie Testud. Jessica Hausner's "Lourdes" is definitely a 'must-see'.
December 26, 2010
Lourdes is a disomforting black comedy on faith and healing presented with superlative control and beautiful imagery. A perfectly restrained performance from Sylvie Testud adds to its charm. Must-see.
½ July 31, 2010
I remember going to Lourdes when I ws thirteen and this film caught both the atmosphere and lack of Christianity that is evident there.